E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Retrofitting a Professional HU with USB and Bluetooth

02-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #155
zobeon
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11

Ok, thanks. How do I reset it?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #156
4EST
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d LCI

SG_RESET with NCS Expert. Or there is also a reset in tools32
but change your VO first, or else BT and usb will dissapear
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #157
Otherbloke
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 130i Msport

Mic wiring struggle

Guys thanks for the great thread, am nearly there with my retrofit.

Microphones I see on the thread have 2 wires, but there are 3 connections on my Mic? Could anyone advise which number pins on the mic go to which pins on my new professional HU?

Cheers,
Ian
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #158
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherbloke View Post
Guys thanks for the great thread, am nearly there with my retrofit.

Microphones I see on the thread have 2 wires, but there are 3 connections on my Mic? Could anyone advise which number pins on the mic go to which pins on my new professional HU?

Cheers,
Ian
People have been using two out of laziness since a shield is not absolutely necessary for function. Looking at the pins point-on, from left to right, they're mic+, mic- and shield. I strongly recommend you use shielded wire, though soldering the shield to pin3 isn't especially critical (attaching it on the MULF side is).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #159
Otherbloke
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 130i Msport

Thanks Alex, and do you know which pins do these 3 then connect to on the HU, I have seen 1&6 mentioned in the video but wasn't sure which goes to which!

Cheers,
Ian
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #160
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherbloke View Post
Thanks Alex, and do you know which pins do these 3 then connect to on the HU, I have seen 1&6 mentioned in the video but wasn't sure which goes to which!

Cheers,
Ian
They don't, they connect on the MULF in the trunk. If you mean you bought a newer HU with Bluetooth and USB built in, I don't know, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #161
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: e93 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
They don't, they connect on the MULF in the trunk. If you mean you bought a newer HU with Bluetooth and USB built in, I don't know, sorry.
If you are talking about how to connect the mic to the HU when it is bluetooth built-in capable, then the diagram is the following:

MIC ---- HU ---- SIGNAL
Pin1 -- Pin1 -- Audio Positive
Pin2 -- Pin6 -- Audio GND

That is all.

Finally I managed to change the voice languaje to Spanish this weekend!
      02-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #162
MJ777LR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW328i

Hi Jose, thanks very much for the DIY. I have an 05/07 E90 with Professional + Hifi, Bluetooth, and USB audio (6FL) from the factory. I recently found out that my headunit is faulty and I'm thinking of replacing it.

If I replace it with the exact same HU that is meant for the 05/07 model, do I need to code anything for the radio/USB audio to work? Will the new HU have the USB icon automatically?

Now I'm also thinking, if I get a newer HU that is meant for the MY09+ cars (like the one you have), what kind of coding do I need to do, since my car already has bluetooth and USB audio from the factory? Will everything (Bluetooth, USB, etc.) just work like 'plug-and-play'? I noticed the new HU models have a white connector at the back for the USB audio, but mine does not (but I still have 6FL from factory). Can I still install a newer HU?

Thanks for any advice you can give!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:10 AM   #163
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ777LR View Post
Hi Jose, thanks very much for the DIY. I have an 05/07 E90 with Professional + Hifi, Bluetooth, and USB audio (6FL) from the factory. I recently found out that my headunit is faulty and I'm thinking of replacing it.

If I replace it with the exact same HU that is meant for the 05/07 model, do I need to code anything for the radio/USB audio to work? Will the new HU have the USB icon automatically?

Now I'm also thinking, if I get a newer HU that is meant for the MY09+ cars (like the one you have), what kind of coding do I need to do, since my car already has bluetooth and USB audio from the factory? Will everything (Bluetooth, USB, etc.) just work like 'plug-and-play'? I noticed the new HU models have a white connector at the back for the USB audio, but mine does not (but I still have 6FL from factory). Can I still install a newer HU?

Thanks for any advice you can give!
Hi MJ777LR,

Better you buy a HU specific for your car (I mean, build between 03/07 and 08/09)

If you get one newer you could have problems with your dealer in the future. Also many newer HU come without MOST gateway, this means that you would lose your MULF.

Anyway, you will have to recode the HU for your car. USB Icon will not appear 'magically' it has to be enabled by coding (the same for PDC, Bluetooth, Aux-in, Languaje...)

Cheers.
      02-13-2013, 04:32 AM   #164
MJ777LR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hi Jose, thanks for the input... the decision is a bit hard to make, since getting a remanufactured unit for my 07 model costs pretty close to getting a new model HU off ebay. With the new HU, I have the added benefit of the HD radio and perhaps sirius if I choose to activate that later. Plus, the LCI chime is an added bonus.

I am out of warranty and already have the car's software updated late last year. And my BMW Assist is expired, so I'm not worried about somehow disabling the TCU. I believe with the new HU, the TCU and MULF is no longer needed (please correct me if I'm wrong)?

I think I'll also need to connect the mic and USB jack directly to the HU, and not to the TCU/MULF anymore.

As for coding, since my VO already has 6FL and bluetooth, technically I don't need to add anything to the VO, but just need to change the prod. date in NCS and perform an sg reset for the 2URAD, correct?

Did you have any SOS error after installing the new HU, assuming the MOST loop was broken?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #165
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Hi Jose, thanks for the input... the decision is a bit hard to make, since getting a remanufactured unit for my 07 model costs pretty close to getting a new model HU off ebay. With the new HU, I have the added benefit of the HD radio and perhaps sirius if I choose to activate that later. Plus, the LCI chime is an added bonus.

I am out of warranty and already have the car's software updated late last year. And my BMW Assist is expired, so I'm not worried about somehow disabling the TCU. I believe with the new HU, the TCU and MULF is no longer needed (please correct me if I'm wrong)?

I think I'll also need to connect the mic and USB jack directly to the HU, and not to the TCU/MULF anymore.

As for coding, since my VO already has 6FL and bluetooth, technically I don't need to add anything to the VO, but just need to change the prod. date in NCS and perform an sg reset for the 2URAD, correct?

Did you have any SOS error after installing the new HU, assuming the MOST loop was broken?
You are totally right at all your words.

With the newest HU:
- LCI Chimes
- Bluetooth mic / USB socket have to be connected directly to it
- TCU/MULF are no longer needed (you can even sell it for some bucks)
- You should also change one value at KOMBI for LCI chimes

About SOS, I don't know because I don't have this feature but anyway it can be easily disabled with NCS
      02-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #166
MJ777LR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Jose, thanks so much for confirming that, it really helps to know!

I'd like to get the newer model HU with built in USB/bluetooth. Does anyone know, if the unit has a Sirius logo on the outside, does it mean that it's a US-spec HU? There's a listing on ebay, but I'm not sure if the unit is a US model The ebay listing shows the Sirius logo on the outside of the HU, so I'm guessing it should be, since Sirius is a US-only thing. But, even so, I can't seem to find the part number on realOEM (65-12-9-289-127). I'd like to be sure before making a decision. Could anyone verify?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #167
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ777LR
Jose, thanks so much for confirming that, it really helps to know!

I'd like to get the newer model HU with built in USB/bluetooth. Does anyone know, if the unit has a Sirius logo on the outside, does it mean that it's a US-spec HU? There's a listing on ebay, but I'm not sure if the unit is a US model The ebay listing shows the Sirius logo on the outside of the HU, so I'm guessing it should be, since Sirius is a US-only thing. But, even so, I can't seem to find the part number on realOEM (65-12-9-289-127). I'd like to be sure before making a decision. Could anyone verify?
I bought from the same seller and could no find the part # on realoem.

Looks like the radio is Sirius ready. But, it has no optical MOST so be sure you don't need it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #168
MJ777LR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info woodpecka. I think I should be good without a MOST-enabled HU - my BMW Assist has expired and I'm not planning to renew it. And with this particular HU, I believe my existing TCU/MULF will be redundant, since the mic and USB inputs are connected directly to the HU.

Unless I'm looking at this the wrong way (and if I am, someone please let me know!), then I think should be able to do without a MOST-enabled HU, except for when I have to get a dealer-flashed software update. If that scenario arises, I could always put the old HU back temporarily.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #169
tov.Saahov
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

Need help)

Hello!
I have read all the pages of your message. But, unfortunately, not quite understand, how do I encode the radio?
I have a car produced in 2011. It was a BMW Professional radio. I bought at Ebay as you recorder BMW Professional and Bluetooth YUSB. BMW authorized dealers can not encode it - because they do not know how.
Periodic audible clicks even radio is turned off.
Hong is also very loud! YUSB like seeing, but not yet tested, since there is no cable (coming from Germany). Bluetooth sees my phone, but then connect the call can not hear anything! And no one can hear me! Bluetooth is also necessary to code? Or is it a radio problem? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #170
Vesar
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 320i Ε92 M-Sport

Garage List
2007 BMW 320i  [10.00]
How about coding the Business radio to have the dongs from Professional radio? Is that possible?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #171
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

No.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #172
MJ777LR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hi guys, I got my radio today and started to install it into the car... Here's the good news. Before any coding, I could:

- Pair my phone over bluetooth, and hear phone audio over speakers. I haven't connected the mic yet. That'll be next.
- USB and AUX icons show up. I haven't connected the coaxial cable to the USB/AUX socket, as I'm still waiting on that to arrive.

Here's where I still need some help. I can't seem to code from Stereo to HiFi. I did a 'Read ECU' on the new 2URAD, and downloaded the FSW_PSW.TRC onto my computer. There were many options, more than the one from my 2007 HU. I tried to delete anything that didn't say 'e90_hifi', and change options that didn't say 'e90_hifi' to 'e90_hifi'. Then, I did an 'sg_codieren' to write the MAN file back onto the 2URAD. The coding went 'successfully', and NCS didn't give any errors. I know something must have worked, because I could change the radio's phone voice from German to English. Also, the VIN was successfully registered onto the radio. This was all done using the FSW PSW MAN profile.

However, the gongs and music was still pretty loud. So I checked the hidden menu and sure enough, it still said 'Stereo' and not 'HiFi'. I tried to do an 'sg_reset' but that didn't change anything too.

When I did a 'Read ECU' again, the FSW_PSW.TRC seemed like it didn't change at all, and all the options were in its original state (all the non e90_hifi I had removed were back again). Of course, the radio language remained in English. That was the only thing that 'remained'.

I have coded successfully before, so I know my setup has worked in the past. In fact, I coded KOMBI, changed radiostufe_2 to radiostufe_3_4, and managed to get the new LCI gongs (which sound really nice, but are pretty loud at the moment!).

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #173
4EST
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d LCI

sg_reset resets the coding
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #174
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys, I got my radio today and started to install it into the car... Here's the good news. Before any coding, I could:

- Pair my phone over bluetooth, and hear phone audio over speakers. I haven't connected the mic yet. That'll be next.
- USB and AUX icons show up. I haven't connected the coaxial cable to the USB/AUX socket, as I'm still waiting on that to arrive.

Here's where I still need some help. I can't seem to code from Stereo to HiFi. I did a 'Read ECU' on the new 2URAD, and downloaded the FSW_PSW.TRC onto my computer. There were many options, more than the one from my 2007 HU. I tried to delete anything that didn't say 'e90_hifi', and change options that didn't say 'e90_hifi' to 'e90_hifi'. Then, I did an 'sg_codieren' to write the MAN file back onto the 2URAD. The coding went 'successfully', and NCS didn't give any errors. I know something must have worked, because I could change the radio's phone voice from German to English. Also, the VIN was successfully registered onto the radio. This was all done using the FSW PSW MAN profile.

However, the gongs and music was still pretty loud. So I checked the hidden menu and sure enough, it still said 'Stereo' and not 'HiFi'. I tried to do an 'sg_reset' but that didn't change anything too.

When I did a 'Read ECU' again, the FSW_PSW.TRC seemed like it didn't change at all, and all the options were in its original state (all the non e90_hifi I had removed were back again). Of course, the radio language remained in English. That was the only thing that 'remained'.

I have coded successfully before, so I know my setup has worked in the past. In fact, I coded KOMBI, changed radiostufe_2 to radiostufe_3_4, and managed to get the new LCI gongs (which sound really nice, but are pretty loud at the moment!).

Any suggestions?
Add $676 to your VO and then SG_RESET or SG_Codieren for write the default settings according to the new VO.

Regards. (Remeber not to perform a FA_Write if you dont really have HiFi amplifier!)
      02-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #175
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

What does the FA WRITE do if you do/don't have an amp?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #176
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_JN
Quote:

Any suggestions?
Add $676 to your VO and then SG_RESET or SG_Codieren for write the default settings according to the new VO.

Regards. (Remeber not to perform a FA_Write if you dont really have HiFi amplifier!)
I also suggested to write the radio with an empty MAN file so the car could set the radio setup as needed.

I got lot of changes with this method and my sound is perfect now.
Appreciate 0