E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Connecting two routers to one modem?

07-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Connecting two routers to one modem?

Hi All,

I'm on Virgin and just got an 'n' router. It works OK but because some of my devices are not 'n' compatible, they knock all connected devices down to 'g'.

So, can I just connect my old 'g' router to the modem at the same time as my new 'n' one, and have two networks. Then, I would only connect my 'n' devices to my N router, and g devices to my g router... ???

Second question:

If I run a cat5 out the back of my modem into a mains home plug, and then connect the router to a home plug else where, would it still work? My assumption is that the router will not know it's getting it's signal via a home plug and assume it's connected directly to the modem. I want to do this so I can re-position my router in a more central location in the house.

Third question:

My new router has sockets on the back so you can hard wire devices into it. If I was to re-locate my router using a home plug (if this works) can I just piggy back my old router off the new one? Or, does the router need to be connected directly to the modem?

Thanks all!!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

I have to ask why would you want to use both routers, just use the N, the N router will negotiate G speeds with slower devices; what make/model is the new one?

2nd question... yes you just extending the length to the AP, but if you using ethernet over mains why not just plug the hardwired deivces into the mains (then into rear of N router) and leave wireless for latops and phones ? Win, win.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

I just helped my parents extend their VM wifi signal so i will chip in

I think the homeplug solution is the best in this case, i even suggested this to my parents because trying to bridge the routers, 3 in total was a nightmare with me wondering round the house with a signal meter app.

Also as you have pointed out, a wireless G as a client of an N will reduce speeds and bridging in brick houses means a well reduced signal also.

The homeplug method will work fine say on the 2nd floor of your house only if your house wiring for each homeplug connection is part of the same ring circuit. You can test by cutting the power with 2 lamps plugged in for example.

Also, keep in mind, because you aren't bridging the connections wirelessly there will be no automatic handover if you walk from 1 floor to the next with your laptop/phone etc. You may loose wifi signal and have to wait for a reconnection or manually reconnect.

When bridging 2 routers or access points you have to set identical WPA keys, SSID's, Channels and you normally have to enable WDS or bridging and connect the 2 devices from their admin panels. If you go the homeplug route, i would, try and set all the things the same and see if it does hand over (i'm not sure).

If it doesn't it is a small compromise but my mum likes her tech and she wanted no fuss, guess what, she's a mac user.

The one thing i will say with home plugs is get as fast as possible 200mbps, if not more if they do them. The speed will be no where near 200mbps, probably half that and also set you old router up in access point mode, most routers are capable of doing this, it disables all the firewall, NAT etc and gets is DHCP from the main modem/router.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle View Post
I have to ask why would you want to use both routers, just use the N, the N router will negotiate G speeds with slower devices; what make/model is the new one?

2nd question... yes you just extending the length to the AP, but if you using ethernet over mains why not just plug the hardwired deivces into the mains (then into rear of N router) and leave wireless for latops and phones ? Win, win.
Most things are wireless these days, phones, ipads, laptops (macbook airs) etc

My parents couldn't get an N signal 3 rooms either side due to inner brick walls. So we had to daisy chain the routers to extend the wifi.

My house is a new build and the N signal goes through nearly all of the house.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks guys.

When I'm suggesting two routers I'm talking about running them as different networks, with different names - not as one being used to boost the signal of the other. Therefore, when roaming the house, the device would always stay on a single router.

So, just to confirm, am I right in saying that the 'n' router can't server 'n' and 'g' signals at the same time, hence dropping all clients down to 'g' if there is a mix?

Yep, I'm prob going down the home plug route from some of my static devices, but I was just wondering if you could also use them to re-locate routers?

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

Apologies, it seems the super hub CAN handle N and G at the same time, so all N devices get full speed regardless of connected G devices.

Posts like this : http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...of/td-p/250089

And found a couple of others too.

And providing your on the same ring circuit yes you can use the homeplugs to re-locate. It's as if you were just plugging the router directly into the back of the superhub. But instead you are using an extension.

As mentioned before i would set the old router up as an access point then the homeplug cabling between it and the superhub will ensure anyone connecting to the old router gets DHCP allowing them to connect to the internet.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
Have to disagree with both homeplugs having to be on the same ring circuit. I have my modem/router on my upstairs socket ring and several items (sonos, samsung tv, sling box ) on the downstairs socket ring with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
They will work on different circuits so long as you have a single consumer u it I.e. Fuse box in old money
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post

As mentioned before i would set the old router up as an access point then the homeplug cabling between it and the superhub will ensure anyone connecting to the old router gets DHCP allowing them to connect to the internet.
Thanks for all the replies. The above is beyond me really...... but sounds interesting!

I got both routers working, the g piggy backing off the n. However, I think the g interfered with the n because when it was turned on I wasn't able to stream HD Iplayer on the n although I could before.

In the end I went back to using the g only and this seems to work best.

I'm going to buy some home plugs at the weekend and hard wire some of the devices in and then the wireless can be used for casual surfing on the laptop.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
incablue
Rep
Drives: E91 M Sport

you want to use one of your routers as intended, ie as a router, the second router you will want to use as a wireless access point (you don't want it to 'route' any traffic).
the setup should be:
VM modem --->wan port of router 1. lan port of router 1 --->homeplug ---> lan port of router 2

Turn off DHCP from the second router (make sure there's only one dhcp server, in your case the first router), else you'll get loads of weird behaviour.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by incablue View Post
you want to use one of your routers as intended, ie as a router, the second router you will want to use as a wireless access point (you don't want it to 'route' any traffic).
the setup should be:
VM modem --->wan port of router 1. lan port of router 1 --->homeplug ---> lan port of router 2

Turn off DHCP from the second router (make sure there's only one dhcp server, in your case the first router), else you'll get loads of weird behaviour.
So, in this scenario, only one router would have wifi turned on, is this what you mean by turning off DHCP? For me, I don't think this would achieve anything because the room where the modem is doesn't have any devices that need to be hard wired. This being the case, couldn't I just ..

Modem --> Home PLug --> old Router (router now being in the position of my choice, and new router not being used as from my testing seems worse than the old one, even though it's an N!)

PS, I don't have a superhub, it's just a D-link N router Virgin sent me.

Appreciate 0