E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Tappet/Lifter replacement

10-16-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
AusMatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Tappet/Lifter replacement

Anyone know if there are any upgraded lifters for the N54?
Just fitted a set of RB Next Gens and since then the lifters have been ticking quite loudly, I was thinking that possibly the new turbos use more oil than stock witch adds to the existing oiling problems with the motor??

Either way the car has done 130k and they are probably pretty tired anyway so thought it best just to replace them, will go for genuine but upgraded ones may prevent the issue in the future.

EDIT: If there aren't any upgrades where is the cheapest place to get genuine ones?

Last edited by AusMatty; 10-17-2016 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

did you change oil brand/type when switching turbos?

don't think lifter failure is common on the n54.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #3
AusMatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titium View Post
did you change oil brand/type when switching turbos?

don't think lifter failure is common on the n54.
Exactly the same oil when changed, have since tried a slightly thicker race oil and noise is still there.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 02:13 AM   #4
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
How does it run on the new RBs mate ??
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 02:27 AM   #5
AusMatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
How does it run on the new RBs mate ??
Its runs beautifully! Can't wait to get the tune sorted and really feel what the turbos can do... Going MHD in the next few weeks and then will be running some E85.
Cheers for all your help with it, definitely need that LSD now though
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 06:51 AM   #6
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusMatty View Post
Its runs beautifully! Can't wait to get the tune sorted and really feel what the turbos can do... Going MHD in the next few weeks and then will be running some E85.
Cheers for all your help with it, definitely need that LSD now though
Great to hear Matty
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #7
AusMatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I have ordered new lifters from FCPEuro and will be changed out week after next. Replacing timing chain, tensioner and guides while im there as well... surprisingly not too expensive for the parts it's just the labour that kills it.

Last edited by AusMatty; 10-20-2016 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 10:36 PM   #8
waterbottle1
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
So I have ordered new lifters from FCPEuro and will be changed out week after next. Replacing timing chain, tensioner and guides while im there as well... surprisingly not too expensive for the parts it's just the labour that kills it.
ask jack for a discount as your a regular lol!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 12:07 AM   #9
AusMatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbottle1 View Post
ask jack for a discount as your a regular lol!
Currently owe him 3k for the stuff completed so far... now going to add another $1200 onto that :P
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #10
AusMatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So bit of an update on this, lifters have all been replaced and motor put back together, still ticks...

We are thinking possible camshaft bearing ledges which are a bit of a known issue, replacing the VANOS solenoids first to see if that helps, if not we will replace cam bearings. Anyone else had to replace these on their N54?

Kinda getting over the multitude of problems with these cars tbh.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 08:52 PM   #11
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Describe the sound in more detail. Sound clip could help.

Does it happen at idle? Can you still hear it when youre cruising along?

Does it go away if you give it a blip of throttle when idling?

You need to properly diagnose it before throwing parts at it, never even heard of anyone with lifter noise on this engine. Get a stethoscope and pinpoint it exactly.

Ticking is usually just the normal injector ticking, wastegate rattle or the fuel pressure relief solenoid valve (vent pipe with a solenoid on it thing that clips into the throttle body) can get noisy on higher km cars. Either that or its something to do with poor fitting aftermarket parts hitting something etc
      11-06-2016, 09:20 PM   #12
AusMatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Describe the sound in more detail. Sound clip could help.

Does it happen at idle? Can you still hear it when youre cruising along?

Does it go away if you give it a blip of throttle when idling?

You need to properly diagnose it before throwing parts at it, never even heard of anyone with lifter noise on this engine. Get a stethoscope and pinpoint it exactly.

Ticking is usually just the normal injector ticking, wastegate rattle or the fuel pressure relief solenoid valve (vent pipe with a solenoid on it thing that clips into the throttle body) can get noisy on higher km cars. Either that or its something to do with poor fitting aftermarket parts hitting something etc
We have eliminated injectors and wastegate rattle.
We have had the stethoscope on every part of the motor and it all points back at the head, when you put the scope on the injectors you get the distinct injector noise, its definitely different.

I will get a sound clip of the ticking when i can, see what people think.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #13
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

although these cars have their problems to be fair you probably replaced lifters which weren't even damaged or worn so you can't really complain about spending money to fix something that wasn't broken.

just throwing parts at these cars is going to be expensive you need to get it properly diagnosed.

you mentioned it started with new turbos to me that means its either :

The turbos - most likely wg rattle - don't think because the turbos are new they won't rattle atleast 3-4 out of the 6 or so cars I've seen with upgraded turbos have rattle to some degree.

alternatively it could be something wasn't installed properly and is rubbing. it could even be aftermarket parts with poor fitment although they are installed correctly.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 12:21 AM   #14
AusMatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titium View Post
although these cars have their problems to be fair you probably replaced lifters which weren't even damaged or worn so you can't really complain about spending money to fix something that wasn't broken.

just throwing parts at these cars is going to be expensive you need to get it properly diagnosed.

you mentioned it started with new turbos to me that means its either :

The turbos - most likely wg rattle - don't think because the turbos are new they won't rattle atleast 3-4 out of the 6 or so cars I've seen with upgraded turbos have rattle to some degree.

alternatively it could be something wasn't installed properly and is rubbing. it could even be aftermarket parts with poor fitment although they are installed correctly.
Okay just to be clear the sound occurs at the same frequency as the injectors (matches valve train timing), it gets faster when you rev the motor and goes away when the revs are above 3000rpm which I believe that points towards oil pressure and either a blockage or jammed lifter.

Motor is 130k old so not an unreasonable deduction. I have spent many years working on cars as well and I have had experiences with noisy lifters/valve trains before.

I probably didn't explain it all that well before and a video will help once i get to the workshop this afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 06:20 AM   #15
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

Had a service done on mine last week, did oil, plugs, walnut blast, started ticking after. Is present at idle, rises with revs. Fucking pisses me off.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #16
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ80. View Post
Had a service done on mine last week, did oil, plugs, walnut blast, started ticking after. Is present at idle, rises with revs. Fucking pisses me off.
What oil?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 05:58 PM   #17
AusMatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I had walnut blast and plugs done as well, have tried 2 different types of oil (used the one that was originally in the car before) as well as a slightly thicker one, still had no difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #18
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I had walnut blast and plugs done as well, have tried 2 different types of oil (used the one that was originally in the car before) as well as a slightly thicker one, still had no difference.
Sounds crazy but are spark plugs torqued correctly?

Did you change inlet manifold gaskets? Vince will chime in if they need doing but I replaced them as I didn't want any leaks.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 11:33 PM   #19
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

I wouldn't know if the plugs are tourqed correctly as i didnt perform the service. What if the carbon buildup was acting as sound proofing and the walnut blast has exposed the tick lol.

Oil they use is 5w30 but i cant say what was in mine before.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 11:49 PM   #20
AusMatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Sounds crazy but are spark plugs torqued correctly?

Did you change inlet manifold gaskets? Vince will chime in if they need doing but I replaced them as I didn't want any leaks.
I did read somewhere about a ticking due to plugs being loose but they have been out twice now since this started... maybe a damaged thread on one of the plugs causing it not to tighten properly?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 02:16 AM   #21
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I did read somewhere about a ticking due to plugs being loose but they have been out twice now since this started... maybe a damaged thread on one of the plugs causing it not to tighten properly?
Hmm OK...

Well I'm certain you would notice when torquing up the plug/s if it wouldn't torque correctly...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 02:17 AM   #22
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't know if the plugs are tourqed correctly as i didnt perform the service. What if the carbon buildup was acting as sound proofing and the walnut blast has exposed the tick lol.

Oil they use is 5w30 but i cant say what was in mine before.
Go back to the workshop and perhaps ask them to take a look?

Do you know if they replaced the inlet manifold gaskets? (should be on the invoice)
Appreciate 0