E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > brake caliper covers

04-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
ikslee
Rep
Drives: 2007 325i

brake caliper covers

Hi, anyone have any experience or feedback on the plastic brake caliper covers that I see advertised on ebay (from exotic places such as China and Thailand)?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
suff
On the hunt for PSI
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikslee View Post
Hi, anyone have any experience or feedback on the plastic brake caliper covers that I see advertised on ebay (from exotic places such as China and Thailand)?
No.. but PLEASE dont put these on your car.. anyone with the slightest interest in cars will spot them for what they are straight away.. save your money and spend it on something worth while!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Hahahahahhahha...

I mean yeah do it, awesome mod.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Hey, I am thinking about these.
Believe it or not, I hate the way BMW brakes look. I also hate the fake stuff, like M3 badges on 320's etc.
But, If I am going to get some wheels where you see the brakes, the only choice is to spend $5k on a big brake kit, or $20 on covers.
The 135 six pot brake kits aren't as good as the 335's larger standard brakes with new fluid, pads and braided hoses, so BMW performance brakes aren't worth it.

The real problem is that the BMW brake engineers took no effort in making the brakes look acceptable. Have a look at standard Mercedes brakes to see what I mean, they just look better.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Brake caliper covers - What a crazy idea! Brakes are for stopping the car, not for looking at. I think BMW already have more than enough people trying to make the cars look cool and prestigous. Probably Mercedes Benz have even more people doing that. There is too much poser factor in these cars already, without going for plastic brake covers. If you don't want the Brembo / A&P setup, please just accept the what the car has from the factory. Jeeez.. I can't believe this is a topic for discussion.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
Z320i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 Bmw 320i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
Brake caliper covers - What a crazy idea! Brakes are for stopping the car, not for looking at. I think BMW already have more than enough people trying to make the cars look cool and prestigous. Probably Mercedes Benz have even more people doing that. There is too much poser factor in these cars already, without going for plastic brake covers. If you don't want the Brembo / A&P setup, please just accept the what the car has from the factory. Jeeez.. I can't believe this is a topic for discussion.

i second that!!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
zerotohundred
Australia
Rep
Drives: '11 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp330Cic.au View Post
Hey, I am thinking about these.
Believe it or not, I hate the way BMW brakes look. I also hate the fake stuff, like M3 badges on 320's etc.
But, If I am going to get some wheels where you see the brakes, the only choice is to spend $5k on a big brake kit, or $20 on covers.
The 135 six pot brake kits aren't as good as the 335's larger standard brakes with new fluid, pads and braided hoses, so BMW performance brakes aren't worth it.

The real problem is that the BMW brake engineers took no effort in making the brakes look acceptable. Have a look at standard Mercedes brakes to see what I mean, they just look better.
If you want to add a splash of colour to the setup,consider changing to Cool Carbon pads. They're bright blue and add that little bit extra to the whole setup - 335i calipers are pretty big and it shows.

Plus they bite hard and last longer than OEM gear.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

^ Like he said, change pads if you want a cooler look. OR paint the calipers.

Generally you dont want your brakes to be covered - making them extra hot and blocking air flow. That is a bad thing.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
ikslee
Rep

thx for all the comments, all noted. I agree with the comment that unless you want to spend $5k plus on brakes, what else can you do to improve the aesthetics of otherwise ugly calipers! And just because it was designed/engineered @ bmw doesn't necessary make it the bomb, you merely have to read the posts on all that is not right.

That being said, I'd still like to customise the calipers so what do the gurus here think about painting the calipers instead?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
ikslee
Rep

john-01/aka poser, firstly allow me to apologise for not being aware of the parameters of what is and is not permitted as a discussion topic - please pm me so I can run any future topic suggestions by you before posting. Is it also safe to presume that there are no modifications on your vehicle, merely what rolls off the factory?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 11:36 PM   #12
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Don't BMW performance offer an upgrade kit that isn't too expensive? Why not hit that up, it even has BMW Performance written on the calipers for the posers amongst us.

As for the OP, plastic covers = EPIC FAIL, but please be sure to post pics after you've driven on them for a bit, i'm keen to see the mess they make once they melt all over your wheels!
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #13
E92325i
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
Don't BMW performance offer an upgrade kit that isn't too expensive? Why not hit that up, it even has BMW Performance written on the calipers for the posers amongst us.
I was under the impression that those bmw performance calipers are just stock 135i brakes with different (slotted/grooved) discs?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #14
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep

For the BMW performance calipers, I am 90% certain they are the same as the 135i front brakes. I understand they are used with 338mm front rotors. However there are some issues:

1) I read on the forums there isn't a good availability of high temp brake pads. Maybe some of the 135i owners have more experience with this.
2) For 335i, they offer lower performance than the standard brakes which have larger rotors from the factory.
3) For 320i, 323i and 325i, they are only available for the front brakes, not for the rear. I'm a bit curious to know whether the brake balance would be affected. Also it seems stange not to have a set of four from a visual point of view.

Last edited by John_01; 04-16-2010 at 01:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 01:10 AM   #15
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
john-01/aka poser, firstly allow me to apologise for not being aware of the parameters of what is and is not permitted as a discussion topic - please pm me so I can run any future topic suggestions by you before posting. Is it also safe to presume that there are no modifications on your vehicle, merely what rolls off the factory?
HI ikslee, You have the same rights as myself or anyone else to post what you like here. I realise I have a fairly strong point of view about the topic you posted about. I am not going to apologise for that. To me it seems quite pointless to fit brake caliper covers and you could end up looking like a poser. What's worse is that it could affect the performance of the brakes. If you want to upgrade the performance of the brakes in some way, I think that would be a better idea.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #16
ikslee
Rep

thx guys, i will definitely stay clear of the covers! After spending more time searching on this forum, have read about the G2 caliper paint from the USA which looks like a pretty good finish - anyone tried it down under?

BTW this is a great site to get honest feedback so muchly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 02:39 AM   #17
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
thx guys, i will definitely stay clear of the covers! After spending more time searching on this forum, have read about the G2 caliper paint from the USA which looks like a pretty good finish - anyone tried it down under?

There's quite a few people who have painted their calipers in aus, both here (there is a lot of people here who are inactive these days), 1addicts & over at e46fanatics.
Might be worth doing a few searches in the AU forum & seeing what you can dig up.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #18
godenades
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Well... I know that I am not, or was not a huge fan of these types of things, but lets face it, the stock caliper is ugly... there is potential for some bling in there and i had to do something.

I found a local company call Ravenus Studios that makes them from fiberglass and in some cases carbon fiber. They are a bit pricey, but definitely look sexy and last a very long time... they can be custom made, your paint color and your sticker for an additional fee, but I will tell you, they are simple and really make my rims pop out a lot...

they do other things too, but again, just my opinion...

ravenusstudios.com is the address if you want to check it out for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #19
Marcs335
Private
Rep
Drives: 335 Virgin

When I was in Thailand all the cabs etc are rocking these.

They look suprisingly genuine until you go up and crouch down.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #20
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
I plan to paint mine gloss black. Personally I wouldn't add a aftermarket cover due to the heat retention issue. Also want to put drilled discs on my fronts.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #21
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:

Talk to Stu (bmroxm5) (BMR Autowerkes). He did mine in red paint and came out awesome http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=red. Stay away from caliper covers!
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:56 AM   #22
THE335
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Coupe

Quote:

Hey there,

I have just bought 2 kits of G2 caliper paint from the USA. The colour I bought is BMW Nogaro Silver. (Metallic grey). The reason I went for this colour is because I have the 313 style wheels & this colour is very much like the painted surface of the wheel.
Anyway, long story short my calipers are now being painted in a panel shop so I may be selling these kits. let me know if you are interested.
Appreciate 0