E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > GTA rust protection and 3M

11-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #45
da1nonly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Thanks! I'm thinking of trying to do a group buy. So far it's just me and Doctor T but if anyone else is interested let us know. (and Marco is one of those that we're looking at at the moment...just waiting for a few other quotes from some other guys highly recommended on E90Post but we'll get them Monday probably).
i'm in for a group buy. I did it at Krown last year, not sure who Marco is?

My only concern is that it may be getting to cold now, isn't it recommended to spray this crap when its warmer (ie. August).

and for those guys that don't want to drill holes, what's the point of doing the rust proofing. One of the most common areas to trap moisture and then rust is the bottom of the doors , so how are u supposed to protect some of those areas without drilling holes....plus u never see those holes, esp on a black car. As for the 12 year rust protection, you need to get a complete perforation to have bmw do anything about it. If i ever have a car that gets to that point i will drive it off a cliff with me in it.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #46
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1nonly View Post
i'm in for a group buy. I did it at Krown last year, not sure who Marco is?

My only concern is that it may be getting to cold now, isn't it recommended to spray this crap when its warmer (ie. August).

and for those guys that don't want to drill holes, what's the point of doing the rust proofing. One of the most common areas to trap moisture and then rust is the bottom of the doors , so how are u supposed to protect some of those areas without drilling holes....plus u never see those holes, esp on a black car. As for the 12 year rust protection, you need to get a complete perforation to have bmw do anything about it. If i ever have a car that gets to that point i will drive it off a cliff with me in it.

Sorry, I meant group buy for the paint protection. I'll look into Krown next year for a group buy maybe.

And here's my logic about the drilling. Drilling causes an unprotected area of metal on the door. Also, because of the drilling action, it places stress on that point which further encourages corrosion. Putting a plug in it will create an area where moisture can be trapped. I think it's doing more harm than good.

I suppose something I can ask is for them to put a long tube through the weep hole (the drains at the bottom of the door) and have them spray the Krown in. I know of some people who do that themselves but they use chain wax (the stuff they use for bicycle chains). I'll consider doing that myself too. Anything but drilling (it's not cosmetic since you won't see it - it's more because it'll probably even cause rust!)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #47
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Subaru XTrek / X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Sorry, I meant group buy for the paint protection. I'll look into Krown next year for a group buy maybe.

And here's my logic about the drilling. Drilling causes an unprotected area of metal on the door. Also, because of the drilling action, it places stress on that point which further encourages corrosion. Putting a plug in it will create an area where moisture can be trapped. I think it's doing more harm than good.

I suppose something I can ask is for them to put a long tube through the weep hole (the drains at the bottom of the door) and have them spray the Krown in. I know of some people who do that themselves but they use chain wax (the stuff they use for bicycle chains). I'll consider doing that myself too. Anything but drilling (it's not cosmetic since you won't see it - it's more because it'll probably even cause rust!)
Had to chime in hear to say that there is absolutely no issues drilling holes from krown rust proofing. I've had my '06 325i treated since new and to this day after 230k k, and winter driven, I have no noticeable rust on any painted panels, including the drilled access points.

I had a long discussion with the owner of a krown in Richmondhill that has been doing this for over 50yrs, about drilling holes, and 70% of the protection is from spraying the inside of doors, the fenders, and the trunk. These are the areas that rust will eventually migrate to after >10+ years. I believed him because he had one of those classic cars out front thar must of been +30yrs old without a single trace of rust!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #48
drevil2k2
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 B9 A4

OP, were there lots of drippings and some smell after getting rustproofing?

+1 for 3M; want to avoid any large stone chips that could turn into rust.
      07-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #49
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevil2k2 View Post
OP, were there lots of drippings and some smell after getting rustproofing?

+1 for 3M; want to avoid any large stone chips that could turn into rust.
Yeah there was drippings and some smell.

Oh and I got my entire car wrapped in 3M. lol. I actually just ordered a giant roll and did it myself. Ended up wasting a lot cause of newbie mistakes but in the end it looks pretty good.

Pacific Mall...do your worst!! wait wait no no! noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! j/k j/k j/k
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #50
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionDion
I used Chipguard for 3m tape...ask for Mark Legere to do it personally...been doing it longest. I had my Infiniti done twice, by him the second to do it right. If you have a dark colour car it ripples and bubbles are more noticeable.
PS- Don't pay for it at the dealership btw....these guys do it for Downtown BMW themselves and charge half as much if you call and deal directly. I think it was $200-250 hood and fenders.
How about the front bumper?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #51
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

I was wondering for those who rust proof their car.
How is it applied?
The majority of the underbody is covered in plastic.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #52
kavadarci
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Drilling is crucial if you do rustproffing, otherwise you might as well not do it. What's the big deal anyways, no one will even notice the holes.
I've done it on all my cars and never had any rust on any of them. You have to do it before it's too late. As for 12 years warranty from BMW, find me one person that actually claimed and won. There is probably million gotcha in there.
Rust proof it and forget it.
Krown is once a year, drips like hell but it goes in every corner.

Too bad it's not that cheap, if you find it on sale or promotion go for it.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #53
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/auto-...krown-1246262/

For anyone interested in doing Krown this winter, $15 off (expiring March 2013)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #54
M.J.
yupyup4u
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I plastidipped my front bumper and hood last November and removed it this year March. I'm doing the same and it's a lot cheaper.

However, I just got a chip in the hood a few days ago. Will this start rust? Will plastidip protect it during winter?

2006 330i e90 / Sparkling Graphite Metallic / M3-tech bumper / currently with 316k
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #55
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.J. View Post
I plastidipped my front bumper and hood last November and removed it this year March. I'm doing the same and it's a lot cheaper.

However, I just got a chip in the hood a few days ago. Will this start rust? Will plastidip protect it during winter?
Our hoods are aluminum, so no rust!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #56
M.J.
yupyup4u
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
Our hoods are aluminum, so no rust!
Good to know something new on this forum. Thx!

2006 330i e90 / Sparkling Graphite Metallic / M3-tech bumper / currently with 316k
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #57
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
OP, just wondering if you're still getting rust proofing done every year...Still happy with the service? Did you eventually opt for rustproofing the doors via drilling?
Appreciate 0