E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 335i software update with jb4 installed

12-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
xnfsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 2011.75

N55 335i software update with jb4 installed

Can I simply turn to map 0 with the jb4 iso update and new iso-C and go to the dealer for a car software update?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Sam335ix
Major
Rep
Drives: 335 ix performance edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnfsx View Post
Can I simply turn to map 0 with the jb4 iso update and new iso-C and go to the dealer for a car software update?
Map4 is the new map0... Delete codes before you go in.

Coming soon to the garage: 2014 M3 Maybe M5
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
xnfsx
Captain
Rep

Thats the go to dealer map?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Abear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

No, you still need to put it on map 0 when going to the dealer. Just put it to map 0 right as your pulling in.

Map 0 is still the bypass map. If you read what Terry wrote, you would know not to do WOT pulls when in map 0. Map 4 is not a bypass map and will trigger a fault in the dealers computer.

Last edited by Abear; 12-29-2012 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Clarify
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
xnfsx
Captain
Rep

Thank you Abear.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abear View Post
No, you still need to put it on map 0 when going to the dealer. Just put it to map 0 right as your pulling in.

Map 0 is still the bypass map. If you read what Terry wrote, you would know not to do WOT pulls when in map 0. Map 4 is not a bypass map and will trigger a fault in the dealers computer.

I don't believe this is true - Map 0 is no longer effective with the ISO firmware - Mike@n54tuning - isn't this true?
      01-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Map 0 is the dealer map
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

It shouldn't be that complicated.

Map 0 is stock like boost (not bypass like previously) with CAN disabled so that DME updates are possible. You should just not drive for extended period on that map because it might trigger under boost codes.

Map 4 is the same but with CAN active
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
xnfsx
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalud View Post

Map 0 is stock like boost (not bypass like previously) with CAN disabled so that DME updates are possible. You should just not drive for extended period on that map because it might trigger under boost codes.

just for reference, what is CAN? what does it do?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

CAN is the communication network on the car. The JB4 read and write on that network to get various parameters (pedal position, throttle, RPM, speed, read steering button pressed) and write to it (gauge hijack, flash hazard, activate the exhaust flapper, etc).

Having it activated (read/write) interfere with any software updates the dealer could do via the obd port towards the left driver's leg. The obd port is used for diagnostic and to perform dme's software updates.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
xnfsx
Captain
Rep

Quote:
CAN is the communication network on the car. The JB4 read and write on that network to get various parameters (pedal position, throttle, RPM, speed, read steering button pressed) and write to it (gauge hijack, flash hazard, activate the exhaust flapper, etc).

Having it activated (read/write) interfere with any software updates the dealer could do via the obd port towards the left driver's leg. The obd port is used for diagnostic and to perform dme's software updates.
i see. awesome. thank you! that is very good to know
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #12
mustangivore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Quote:

Thread revival! So if you're getting your car inspected, map 0 will provide access to OBD without issue, correct?
      10-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #13
deemarr 335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i performance edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunFat View Post
Thread revival! So if you're getting your car inspected, map 0 will provide access to OBD without issue, correct?
Yea
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #14
mustangivore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemarr 335i View Post
Yea
thanks dude
      10-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #15
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Map 0 disables the JB4

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=193708

/thread
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #16
mustangivore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by narstune View Post
not exactly according to some:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...t=17800&page=4

by the way, we're talking ISO versus non-ISO...

Last edited by mustangivore; 10-12-2014 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #17
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
not exactly according to some:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...t=17800&page=4

by the way, we're talking ISO versus non-ISO...
Don't believe what "some" say, believe what the people behind the product tell you.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=100

ISO firmware just allows for advance tuning, it doesn't change the characteristics of the menu.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #18
mustangivore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Don't believe what "some" say, believe what the people behind the product tell you.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=100

ISO firmware just allows for advance tuning, it doesn't change the characteristics of the menu.
First of all, your link is to a single post discussing map 4 ?? Second of all, read these comments that quote Terry Burger himself regarding N55 ISO. Unless you think the quote is falsified and N54tech left it up anyway, I'd say that's as close as you can get to the people behind the product. Perhaps map 0 has changed since then (since the current notes on page 1 do not reflect this), but I'm not so sure... Here's page 8 from Terry's thread "E Series N55 JB4 ISO Firmware & Notes":

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...t=17800&page=8

"Map 0 is no longer a true pass through map. It disables the JB4 and targets 7psi across the board. On map 0 the car will drive and operate normally, can be taken to the dealer, reflashed, etc. But heavy throttle runs on map 0 will result in boost oscillation, uneven acceleration, and possibly an underboost code. Map 4 targets OEM boost values and should be used for dyno comparisons, driving around stock, etc. "

The subtle differences are what were addressed in the posts mentioned above. For all practical purposes, it disables JB4 (OBD access, DME modification). They provide so much support that they don't always have time to answer questions of this sort - that's my experience at least.

Last edited by mustangivore; 10-13-2014 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #19
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
First of all, your link is to a single post discussing map 4 ?? Second of all, read these comments that quote Terry Burger himself regarding N55 ISO. Unless you think the quote is falsified and N54tech left it up anyway, I'd say that's as close as you can get to the people behind the product. Perhaps map 0 has changed since then (since the current notes on page 1 do not reflect this), but I'm not so sure... Here's page 8 from Terry's thread "E Series N55 JB4 ISO Firmware & Notes":

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...t=17800&page=8

"Map 0 is no longer a true pass through map. It disables the JB4 and targets 7psi across the board. On map 0 the car will drive and operate normally, can be taken to the dealer, reflashed, etc. But heavy throttle runs on map 0 will result in boost oscillation, uneven acceleration, and possibly an underboost code. Map 4 targets OEM boost values and should be used for dyno comparisons, driving around stock, etc. "

The subtle differences are what were addressed in the posts mentioned above. For all practical purposes, it disables JB4 (OBD access, DME modification). They provide so much support that they don't always have time to answer questions of this sort - that's my experience at least.
The link I provided was the only thing relevant I could find off the link you initially provided, and I wasn't going to read the entire thread to figure out your point.

What's so hard to understand between Map 0 and Map 4? OP asked if he can simply switch to Map 0 to do a software update. The answer is YES, as Map 0 will disable the JB4 device.

Map 4 uses STOCK BOOST and does not disable the JB4 unit, therefore Map 4 will not allow OP to have a software update performed.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 09:43 PM   #20
mustangivore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The link I provided was the only thing relevant I could find off the link you initially provided, and I wasn't going to read the entire thread to figure out your point.

What's so hard to understand between Map 0 and Map 4? OP asked if he can simply switch to Map 0 to do a software update. The answer is YES, as Map 0 will disable the JB4 device.

Map 4 uses STOCK BOOST and does not disable the JB4 unit, therefore Map 4 will not allow OP to have a software update performed.

I understand if you're not able to read an entire thread off the link I provided but at least read the thread in which you're commenting -- my REVIVAL of this thread was based on Kalud's remark NOT the OP's.

The only thing hard to understand right now is why you posted after deemarr 335i already answered. Apparently you didn't read that post either.

Per your own advice, read Terry's thread titled "E Series N55 JB4 ISO Firmware & Notes" and a quote of Terry's post on page 8. Try 'control F' and type 'map 0'. It helps search through a thread or at least a page much easier.

The point here is one of curiosity about the difference in map 0 between ISO and non-ISO. I think we all already understand that one can do a software update in map 0.

Last edited by mustangivore; 10-13-2014 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #21
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understand if you're not able to read an entire thread off the link I provided but at least read the thread in which you're commenting -- my REVIVAL of this thread was based on Kalud's remark NOT the OP's.

The only thing hard to understand right now is why you posted after deemarr 335i already answered. Apparently you didn't read that post either.

Per your own advice, read Terry's thread titled "E Series N55 JB4 ISO Firmware & Notes" and a quote of Terry's post on page 8. Try 'control F' and type 'map 0'. It helps search through a thread or at least a page much easier.

The point here is one of curiosity about the difference in map 0 between ISO and non-ISO. I think we all already understand that one can do a software update in map 0.
Here's a couple more things I don't understand:

1. You've had the JB4 for a few weeks and you decided it was a good idea to revive a 2 year old thread when the question was very simple and the answer had already been addressed.

2. I posted /thread a.k.a. END THREAD to avoid further confusion to other members. Why are you trying to contradict what everyone else understands by further posting irrelevant information? You even acknowledged that Map 0 does the trick in your post above: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=14

3. It's 2014. If you're going to refer people to outside information, at least post a direct link to the post you're trying to point out like what I did above.

4. CTRL + F for the keyword 'disable' in the first link you provided yielded the link I provided in my reply.

5. Again, ISO vs. NON-ISO doesn't change the menu characteristics. You're new to JB4 and ISO at that. You may want to read up on 5.3 Firmware Increased Battery Discharge issue, and 5.5 Firmware Rough Idle issue before you permanently yank that resistor off the JB4 unit.

Good luck with your new toy!

//thread
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 06:14 AM   #22
mustangivore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here's a couple more things I don't understand:

1. You've had the JB4 for a few weeks and you decided it was a good idea to revive a 2 year old thread when the question was very simple and the answer had already been addressed.

2. I posted /thread a.k.a. END THREAD to avoid further confusion to other members. Why are you trying to contradict what everyone else understands by further posting irrelevant information? You even acknowledged that Map 0 does the trick in your post above: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=14

3. It's 2014. If you're going to refer people to outside information, at least post a direct link to the post you're trying to point out like what I did above.

4. CTRL + F for the keyword 'disable' in the first link you provided yielded the link I provided in my reply.

5. Again, ISO vs. NON-ISO doesn't change the menu characteristics. You're new to JB4 and ISO at that. You may want to read up on 5.3 Firmware Increased Battery Discharge issue, and 5.5 Firmware Rough Idle issue before you permanently yank that resistor off the JB4 unit.

Good luck with your new toy!

//thread
1. yep. didn't want to create yet another thread when this one already existed.
2. useful information ended with deemarr 335i but you continued and i responded to clarify for anyone that cares.
3. my link points to the relevant thread in my question.
4. again, the issue was a little more subtle than the generic 'it disables jb4'.
5. actually i think menu options DO change between ISO vs non-ISO. I'll let you find the link since you're better at that than I. and who talked about doing anything with the hardware. your comment alone is confusing.

Last edited by mustangivore; 10-14-2014 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 0