E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Deposit paid

04-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Deposit paid

Just 12-18 months to wait but I am 4th on the list at the Leicester dealer (meaning I could be in the hundreds UK-wide )

Well, I'm actually 1st as the other three people have apparently paid a deposit on the convertible - I want to wait for the coupe that's launched 6 months later. However, it might still be worthwhile taking the convertible if it's expected to initially command a premium and either enjoy 6 months of free motoring or a bit of profit

I don't know the price, I don't know how fast it'll be (but I can assume that it'll be a lot slower than my XKR given it'll be a V6) but when it looks that good and is expected to be a lot lighter and therefore drive even better than the XKR, I just don't care!

Should be a fun process as the dealer reckons I'll have access to some pre-launch activity early in the new year which should keep me entertained
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
However, it might still be worthwhile taking the convertible if it's expected to initially command a premium and either enjoy 6 months of free motoring or a bit of profit
The coupé looks really good. I've never quite understood the reason for people buying convertibles in England, but go figure...

Quote:
I don't know the price, I don't know how fast it'll be (but I can assume that it'll be a lot slower than my XKR given it'll be a V6) but when it looks that good and is expected to be a lot lighter and therefore drive even better than the XKR, I just don't care!
Hmmm, that's what you say now! When going from a 500hp V8 to something much smaller, I'm not sure you'll feel the same...and then you'll probably put a deposit on the sports model with more power that will come out a year later...!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      04-18-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Very nice so the XK is a broken for good ?
      04-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #4
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Should be a fun process as the dealer reckons I'll have access to some pre-launch activity early in the new year which should keep me entertained
You'd better take me along to these mate; just to make you sure don't do anything financially stupid - you need a level headed nutter with you .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
The coupé looks really good. I've never quite understood the reason for people buying convertibles in England, but go figure...
You'd be surprised how much you can have the roof down in England. But, I did get a little wet yesterday when a rather heavy April Shower came out of the blue (I really wish the Zed roof would operate under 30mpg ).
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 03:53 AM   #5
sufchenko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D SE

Wow
Coupe looks much better. The convertible slightly looks a bit like Maserati GT. (looking at the AutoExpress pics)
      04-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Hmmm, that's what you say now! When going from a 500hp V8 to something much smaller, I'm not sure you'll feel the same...and then you'll probably put a deposit on the sports model with more power that will come out a year later...!

Alpina_B3_Lux
Well.....no. (Although I will of course go for the best, fastest one I can....but I reckon that'll still be a good 100hp less than my XKR)

When I went from a 911 Turbo to the much slower Maserati to the even slower M3, I never once missed the performance. Yes, it was nice to have the Turbo's shove but whenever I used it, I feared for my freedom. I'd rather have something that drives nicely and is useable hence my recent appreciation of Jag's...they work like nothing else on our broken roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
Very nice so the XK is a broken for good ?
Well, my latest update yesterday was that they were still investigating with no fix yet. So, it's been back at the factory for 3 weeks and they still don't know what to do.

I have a meeting with my solicitor tomorrow to finalise the paperwork on my house purchase so whilst I'm there I will see if they have anyone who can advise me on how the SOG Act will help me take the correct steps in rejecting it. They have until a week on Friday to come up with a solution - if they don;t fix it, I'm on holiday for two weeks after that so in reality not a lot will happen till mid-May which worries me a little as by then it'll be a few days under 6 months old, after which I understand it'll be a to harder to reject.

Funny thing is, this hash;t dented my brand loyalty as so far, they have looked after me very well...I just want the same again without the cracking noise (like every other XK I've driven).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
You'd better take me along to these mate; just to make you sure don't do anything financially stupid - you need a level headed nutter with you .
You make me do silly things when I'm with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufchenko View Post
Wow
Coupe looks much better. The convertible slightly looks a bit like Maserati GT. (looking at the AutoExpress pics)
The pics in the mags I don't think represent it well at all....I reckon it'll be extremely similar to the coupe picture above in all but roof. It can't be anything else otherwise it'll be a PR disaster for Jag!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
marlie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

what model is this gonna be called? looks slick
      04-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport 320D,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
(I really wish the Zed roof would operate under 30mpg ).
given what I know about the 370z, if the roof doesn't operate under 30mpg, you may aswell buy the coupe
      04-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
rickyjones1209
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Looks stunning palmer will be good to see it in the flesh next year.

Are you still coming down next Friday? I haven't got your number...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlie View Post
what model is this gonna be called? looks slick
I think it'll be the F-Type....well, the convertible definitely is called that so i assume the coupe will be too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyjones1209 View Post
Looks stunning palmer will be good to see it in the flesh next year.

Are you still coming down next Friday? I haven't got your number...
Cheers Ricky...lets hope the real thing looks as good!

Yes, was talking to Craig about your do today and I'll be in attendance...I hope you've put a free bar on (although will probably be an early exit for us as we're on holiday the next day )
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Worth watching this for the sound

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

That's a great noise. Not sure if the final car will sound like that, seems a bit raw for a jag.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #13
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey

congratulations mate!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #14
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Palmbollox! Im sure it will look epic!

Also no was is the Grantourisimo quicker than an M3. Its slower than a 335d
      04-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #15
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
That's a great noise. Not sure if the final car will sound like that, seems a bit raw for a jag.
Not if you heard mine....with my factory sports exhaust option (so not even aftermarket) which is the same exhaust as fitted as standard to the XKR-S, it's just as raw as on that video

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Palmbollox! Im sure it will look epic!

Also no was is the Grantourisimo quicker than an M3. Its slower than a 335d
I remember having a side by side play with an RS4 (dunno what the designations are but the latest one) on a deserted M1 (from 65 to 75mph of course ) and the big old girl pulled solidly away every time. It surprised me as much as anything and I was on my way to the place I sold it to....it didn't feel nor did I think it was that quick until my last drive of it!

Now, I know an RS4 isn't an M3 but they're similar enough that the M3 would have to be quite a bit faster than an RS4 to make it up.

Still, the M3 was so much the better car to drive in every way imaginable...hence I bought one to get over the trauma of Maserati ownership! It was a relief having something that just 'worked'!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #16
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
I remember having a side by side play with an RS4 (dunno what the designations are but the latest one) on a deserted M1 (from 65 to 75mph of course ) and the big old girl pulled solidly away every time. It surprised me as much as anything and I was on my way to the place I sold it to....it didn't feel nor did I think it was that quick until my last drive of it!

Now, I know an RS4 isn't an M3 but they're similar enough that the M3 would have to be quite a bit faster than an RS4 to make it up.

Still, the M3 was so much the better car to drive in every way imaginable...hence I bought one to get over the trauma of Maserati ownership! It was a relief having something that just 'worked'!
RS4 do not make the quoted 420HP, usually 380 or below!! Being 4th saps some power too.

The M3 is a 0-100 in 11second car the maserati 13. RS4 can do 0-100 in high 11's with a very good launch.

Would think it was a very low power RS4 coupled with a shit driver!

I actually kept up with an E92 M3 the other week in my E46 and that's also a mid 11 sec car 0-100 with a slick driver.

You obviously were bang on the throttle in the Maser and the Audi driver a bit of a girl.
      04-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #17
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
RS4 do not make the quoted 420HP, usually 380 or below!! Being 4th saps some power too.

The M3 is a 0-100 in 11second car the maserati 13. RS4 can do 0-100 in high 11's with a very good launch.

Would think it was a very low power RS4 coupled with a shit driver!

I actually kept up with an E92 M3 the other week in my E46 and that's also a mid 11 sec car 0-100 with a slick driver.

You obviously were bang on the throttle in the Maser and the Audi driver a bit of a girl.
Don't forget I had the 'S' so the more powerful (447bhp IIRC) 4.7 version (which also had an earth moving 380lb/ft torque...not fantastic but also much more than the M3/RS4. I've just checked fastest laps and the Maserati is 11seconds to 100mph (didn't think it was as slow as 13!). Having said that, it shows the M3 at mid 9's however nearly all the advantage is up to 60mph so it's entirely plausible that one rolling, the Maserati (which may also have better aero) would be quicker. Then maybe not considering the Maser weighed as much as the Concordia

Anyway, I like your theory in that it was all me and not the car
Appreciate 0