E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > More vibration @ idle with catless downpipes?

11-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 ZCP Mexico Blue M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
More vibration @ idle with catless downpipes?

Just installed a new set of VRSF downpipes, and the ride itself is amazing. Love the sound, LOVE the pull, but when I come to a stop, I immediately feel a much more noticeable vibration than before. No clanking, or other weird noises, just a more robust vibration in the cabin and in the seat. When I start the car, there's zero vibration. After letting the car sit for a minute or two, the vibration slowly kicks in until it's going full force. Not uncomfortable, but noticeable. It goes away if I put the car in park, and comes right back when I shift into drive. Any ideas?

I've seen people mention backwards O2 sensors, so I'll check that, but my installer says everything was in the proper place when they closed everything up. I also uninstalled my AccessPORT and set the car to stock, and still felt the added vibration, so it's unrelated to the tune. I've also manually reset the ECU adaptations.

Edit: the vibration also goes away completely as soon as I give the car just a little bit of gas. When I come to a stop, it starts right back up.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
andydna15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Macht View Post
Just installed a new set of VRSF downpipes, and the ride itself is amazing. Love the sound, LOVE the pull, but when I come to a stop, I immediately feel a much more noticeable vibration than before. No clanking, or other weird noises, just a more robust vibration in the cabin and in the seat. When I start the car, there's zero vibration. After letting the car sit for a minute or two, the vibration slowly kicks in until it's going full force. Not uncomfortable, but noticeable. It goes away if I put the car in park, and comes right back when I shift into drive. Any ideas?

I've seen people mention backwards O2 sensors, so I'll check that, but my installer says everything was in the proper place when they closed everything up. I also uninstalled my AccessPORT and set the car to stock, and still felt the added vibration, so it's unrelated to the tune. I've also manually reset the ECU adaptations.

Edit: the vibration also goes away completely as soon as I give the car just a little bit of gas. When I come to a stop, it starts right back up.
I just got mine installed yesterday and I'm having the same problem.When I put it in drive I feel the vibration.When I start to drive it goes away.Im thinking that its just slightly touching the heat shield when in drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I'm also hearing a faint police siren noise coming from the turbos under moderate acceleration. A lot of vibrations and noises that I've never felt or heard before are popping up after installing my sport springs, intercooler, and downpipes. Really sucks the fun out of the whole process.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Rickygst
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

The vibration may be coming from the pipes hitting something on the car. Try turning the air on and see if the problem it worst or turn it off and see if it feel better. Either way I would have the shop check for alignment. This is assuming everything else is correct.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
I've had mine in for a couple months now and haven't noticed any added vibration. You can hear a lot more of the mechanical noises generated by the turbos though. The stock downpipes must be designed to dampen a lot of that. If possible, I'd get it up on a lift while running and take a look at any possible clearance issues.
      11-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
Aerotest
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i 6MT

Stock DPs have expansion relief when they get hot. I wonder if the dps get hot and make the exhaust system rigid, transfering more NVH. I have been looking at the Wagner DPs for this reason.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Ch3ss
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I didn't get any extra vibration after installing my dp. But I hear a slight turbo whine when accelerating. Your dp might be sitting on the subframe or something else causing the vibrating. I would get it looked at and adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I'm having the DP's checked Monday. Is the turbo whine/siren normal after an install? It's always so faint that I have to struggle to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

They are likely rubbing against each other or rubbing against sub frame.

They need to be re-clocked for clearance and you may need to adjust mid pipes for further clearance.

There should be nothing wrong with the fitment of the downpipes so it's likely just an install error.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
Sean335i
New Enthusiast & Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Garage List
2009 E90 335i  [0.00]
you will have a bit more vibration bc the dps dont have a cat or a resonator, but it shouldn't be shaking your car horribly. If so, you need to do as Jeff said.

I installed mine a few months back and flashed a new cobb map and it took a day or so for the car to settle itself in; are you running a tune? IF you are getting a whining noise on a turn or a low rpm rattle, your pipes are hitting the subframe or your heatshield. check the DIY section, there were a couple of posts on that topic.

Cobb AP Stage 2+ FMIC Sport / BMS DCI / VRSF 7" FMIC / VRSF 3" DP / RPI Scoops / Alpina B3 Trans Flash
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
They are likely rubbing against each other or rubbing against sub frame.

They need to be re-clocked for clearance and you may need to adjust mid pipes for further clearance.

There should be nothing wrong with the fitment of the downpipes so it's likely just an install error.
Most likely this. Increased vibration generally comes from incorrect installation and a part of the exhaust making direct contact with a part of the vehicle. The motor mounts rest on rubber isolated mounts which absorb the vibration from the engine whereas a metal on metal connection will create a lot more vibration.

It sounds like your installer let the DP's rest up against the sub frame and when there is load on the motor, the assembly moves away from the sub frame for a short time before resetting in it's default position.

We've sold close to 800 of these pipes and the lack of a flex section has absolutely nothing to do with an increase in vibration. Stainless steel expands and contracts at a much smaller rate when comparing to other metals, and we offer a lifetime warranty against any cracking or defects to back up that statement.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
Aerotest
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Stainless steel expands and contracts at a much smaller rate when comparing to other metals, and we offer a lifetime warranty against any cracking or defects to back up that statement.
Actually, 304 SS has one of highest coefficients of linear thermal expansion. The only common metal higher is aluminum. Steel and grey iron are even lower than 304. Which metals were you refereing too? You say they dont require expansion joints and most oem manufacturers say otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
napeHbNYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e60 550i RWD 6MT

Check the cleareance From the subframe. One of the pipes is hitting it most likely. Loosen the v bands and the midpipe connections and rotate the dp.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Spoke with Tiago throughout the day and had my shop verify the install. There was a tiny bit of rubbing against the subframe. Separated everything, and the vibration was gone. Car runs smoother than ever, even the turbo siren can't be heard anymore. Very pleased with the support from Tiago. Glad to have everything in good working order!
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #15
tphss
das Eichhörnchen
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, F32 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Macht View Post
Spoke with Tiago throughout the day and had my shop verify the install. There was a tiny bit of rubbing against the subframe. Separated everything, and the vibration was gone. Car runs smoother than ever, even the turbo siren can't be heard anymore. Very pleased with the support from Tiago. Glad to have everything in good working order!
Great news happy it's fixed! Enjoy!!
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #16
cu_north
Seasoned Lurker
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i Black/Black

This post helped me so much, as I have the same exact problem. My friend that helped me install kept coming up with excuses but that damn vibration is not normal! I'll check the subframe and DP clearance tonight. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #17
Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI(90) 09 135I(82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerotest View Post
Actually, 304 SS has one of highest coefficients of linear thermal expansion. The only common metal higher is aluminum. Steel and grey iron are even lower than 304. Which metals were you refereing too? You say they dont require expansion joints and most oem manufacturers say otherwise.
Flex sections or fixed bellows will not offset linear expansion it will help reduce vibration transmission down the line. The fact that the exhaust is fixed to the vehicle in only one location the turbos and that the exhaust has bends to allow room to expand counters the expansion sufficiently. This is why your exhaust uses rubber flex mounts. For those without a technical background in piping design the expansion of a piping system of this size is not worth noting.
09 135I M (VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car. 1) Install Cobb/piggyback? and Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) JRZ or Moton suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #18
BigHoncho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingeniator View Post
Flex sections or fixed bellows will not offset linear expansion it will help reduce vibration transmission down the line. The fact that the exhaust is fixed to the vehicle in only one location the turbos and that the exhaust has bends to allow room to expand counters the expansion sufficiently. This is why your exhaust uses rubber flex mounts. For those without a technical background in piping design the expansion of a piping system of this size is not worth noting.
Right, its about reducing vibration, not about expansion.
So vibrations travel along the exhaust system on fixed downpipes. But does that do any harm? Only soundwise or mechanical stress?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #19
Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI(90) 09 135I(82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHoncho View Post
Right, its about reducing vibration, not about expansion.
So vibrations travel along the exhaust system on fixed downpipes. But does that do any harm? Only soundwise or mechanical stress?
The high frequency vibrations we are talking about would likely result in a little exhaust rattle if heat shields etc are loose. No mechanical damage will occur as the exhaust is isolated from the chassis.

EDIT: Just to be clear this is all assuming the Downpipes and exhaust components are installed correctly to prevent contact with any engine or chassis components.
09 135I M (VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car. 1) Install Cobb/piggyback? and Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) JRZ or Moton suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system

Last edited by Ingeniator; 01-23-2014 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #20
cu_north
Seasoned Lurker
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i Black/Black

Follow up for those of whom may have the same problem:

I had the vibration at idle while in gear and a little bit in Park. Car drove fine but when I went below about 1.5k rpms, while slowing down or at idle, the car would vibrate like crazy.

Got back under the car and found out my rear O2 sensors were reversed. Swapped them around and took at few mins to make sure the pipes weren't touching anything and problem solved!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #21
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 530i

How much vibration are we talking about here. I'm sitting in my car and I can feel little vibration while stopped in drive. It's not shaking but I can feel a slight vibration in my seat and door. I really didn't even notice before reading this. I thought it was the engine. I'm wondering if I should bother going back to the shop and complain. I got my downpipes installed a few weeks ago and I now get a lot of wastegate rattle (if it even is wastegate rattle) that my jb4 can't rid of and I hear that turbo siren all the time... =(
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #22
tphss
das Eichhörnchen
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, F32 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu_north View Post
Follow up for those of whom may have the same problem:

I had the vibration at idle while in gear and a little bit in Park. Car drove fine but when I went below about 1.5k rpms, while slowing down or at idle, the car would vibrate like crazy.

Got back under the car and found out my rear O2 sensors were reversed. Swapped them around and took at few mins to make sure the pipes weren't touching anything and problem solved!
Nice! When I installed my DPs I replaced both of the O2 sensors with new OEM ones.
Depending on the condition they should be replaced with downpipe installation if there is a suspicion they might malfunction because they cause a big headache.
Appreciate 0