E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Anybody in the Coast Guard?

09-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #1
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

Anybody in the Coast Guard?

Hey,

Lately i have really wanted to go out there and do something meaningul with my life..am thinking about looking into the Coast Guard.

I have to be honest, I was never really into the Military etc (no offense to those who are, i have much respect for you) but something about the Coast Guard interests me.

Right now I am currently working for Time Inc. in NJ in their logistics dept..it's a fine job and I like it but I want to really do something out there. I have thought about looking into being a cop, fireman.

Maybe i should do some volunteer firefighting or something first?

I am 26, married with no kids, live in NJ.

My wife is not too happy with me.

So can anyone shed some light on this? I just want to get out there and do something good for people.

I watched their propaganda movies on youtube tonight, really got me excited..

What can you tell me about it? Sway me in either direction, i need to hear all.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
NAandTT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i, E90 335i

I think your self esteem is low, because of your wife. Try and get something new in your life.!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm def View Post
Hey,

Lately i have really wanted to go out there and do something meaningul with my life..am thinking about looking into the Coast Guard.

I have to be honest, I was never really into the Military etc (no offense to those who are, i have much respect for you) but something about the Coast Guard interests me.

Right now I am currently working for Time Inc. in NJ in their logistics dept..it's a fine job and I like it but I want to really do something out there. I have thought about looking into being a cop, fireman.

Maybe i should do some volunteer firefighting or something first?

I am 26, married with no kids, live in NJ.

My wife is not too happy with me.

So can anyone shed some light on this? I just want to get out there and do something good for people.

I watched their propaganda movies on youtube tonight, really got me excited..

What can you tell me about it? Sway me in either direction, i need to hear all.
Friend is in it and he is 18.
I think he had 6-8 Weeks of 'boot camp' and now he is waiting to be shipped off.
He plans to be a chef when he is done with all of it.
You get to recommend some places you want to go, but they pretty much choose for you.
(He had put down florida, cali, and some other places.. they are sending him to New York.)
He's happy with their decision though, as he has found some inexpensive apartments up there.
(He wanted Florida, because he wanted to intercept drug smugglers.)

They wont locate you anywhere close to where you have lived before. (They don't want you picking up some of your old habits that you had before boot camp.)
They give you 600$ he said for housing expenses per month, whatever you dont use you get to pocket.

Not sure on all the other details, but maybe that can be of some help.

-Nathan
      09-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
mmm def
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAandTT View Post
I think your self esteem is low, because of your wife. Try and get something new in your life.!
Haha thanks..but my self esteem is fine. The wife is annoyed because she is trying to get her MBA and we need all the $ we can on top of our house, etc..so to her i think i seem a little sellfish.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #5
mmm def
Colonel
Rep

Hmm..bah i need a job where i can come home to my wife every night and live in our house..doesn't sound like this could work.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #6
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

I'm not sure you want to get into the CG right now. A friend of mine did it and he's happy. But you really can't control where they send you. He was in boot camp up in BFE Minn. Then he got sent to Michigan to watch over some bridge up there. At that time he told me about this story of a guy commiting suicide on the bridge by jumping off near the shore of the bridge so he could hit the asphalt.

He hated boot camp cause he got the top bunk an kept hitting his head on the ceiling. Then he hated his assignment cause he got put somewhere really cold.

You should let your wife finish her MBA first before you go into something like this.
      09-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #7
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

its funny how your wife may think your being selfish lol
i find it very honorable that you want to devote your time and life to helping others. i say go for it if you really want to make a difference
and good luck to you with whichever decision you make
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #8
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
well....do you think you physically can do these type of stuff?
We all dream to be a hero, but do you really think you can do it?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 10:20 PM   #9
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I dont see how joining anything that deals with the American military in any shape or form is helping people more than donating or volunteering somewhere?

Also you are 26 have a wife and own a home and you want to join the coast guard? Also your wife is going for her Masters? I mean why screw that up for her? Let her get her Masters and then live off her.
      09-23-2007, 10:35 PM   #10
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
well....do you think you physically can do these type of stuff?
We all dream to be a hero, but do you really think you can do it?
You don't have to be physically fit to join the CG, any average joe can do it.
The only thing you would need to worry about would be the Navy Seals.

Come to think of it, it sounds like you are just having an early mid life crisis. :P
If you want to help people, I say be a volunteer fire fighter for a while and see how you like it.
Some people like being called out on a fire at 3 in the morning, or eating dinner and having to run out to their vehicle.
I know for a fact that your wife will hate you even more if you choose to be a volunteer fire fighter though.
My friend (about the same age as you, 26 or 27) decided to be a volunteer firefighter and loved it.. I guess because he liked having a reason to leave his house, and liked the rush. He had a wife, and two kids.. She hated him running out all the time, and getting excited whenever he would get a call for a fire.

There are some perks though.. Whenever you have a volunteer fire fighter sticker on the back of your vehicle, if you get pulled over by a cop, 9 times out of 10 they will let you go.

-Nathan
      09-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
mmm def
Colonel
Rep

I think at this point i am going to look into being a volunteer firefighter. If i were fresh out of school, no wife getting her mba, etc..it might be a lot easier to go the CG route. I don't think relocating is in my plans anyway..

Thanks for the advice everybody
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #12
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Your wife is afraid of a Coast Guard guy meeting all the hotties.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 12:25 PM   #13
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm def View Post
Haha thanks..but my self esteem is fine. The wife is annoyed because she is trying to get her MBA and we need all the $ we can on top of our house, etc..so to her i think i seem a little sellfish.
If you need money, going into the military (or CG) is not the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #14
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
You could always join the National Guard. One weekend a month, two weeks a year, unless your unit is mobilized.

'07 Monaco Blue 335i ordered 9/4 built 9/21 shipped 9/28 arrived 10/12 at dealership 10/18 vroom 10/19 christened 11/3...
Appreciate 0