E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > How do you tip?

05-12-2016, 03:42 PM   #265
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT

I waited tables in college, and eventually came back and managed several restaurants some years later. I made great money back then ($400 to $500/weekly) and paid for college on my own (1989-1994). When I came back to manage a full service restaurant (2001-2009), I was shocked at how much less servers made. Nowadays in chain restaurants, servers typically make less than $350 a week (Dallas). I believe there are just a lot more restaurants out there now than then.
Whenever we eat out (and its rarely a chain restaurant) I will tip 10% to 25%, depending on service. Giving a good tip to a crappy waiter only encourages them.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #266
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
As usual, much relevant information is missing.

Would be REALLY interesting to know whether the average server made more or less. Or, better yet, was the average receipt (per meal) higher or lower?

Where did it work best, where did it not work?

Were the ticket per meal numbers the same where business increased as it was where it decreased?

Customer satisfaction can be, I suppose, expressed really only in terms of people leaving, on the negative side, or higher repeat or same store sales, on the positive side.
Well employees quit so I don't expect they made more money. They also lost customers when they raised prices. It failed at 75% of the locations. Those facts are all in the article and pretty direct. The company's website may have more detailed info. if truly interested.
      05-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #267
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Well employees quit so I don't expect they made more money. They also lost customers when they raised prices. It failed at 75% of the locations. Those facts are all in the article and pretty direct. The company's website may have more detailed info. if truly interested.
Good point. I was thinking they may have quit just do to a decrease in business, but that would not make sense, because their compensation would not be dependent on volume... duh. Mental models are hard to change. Wonder if they cut hours to offset decreased business?
      05-12-2016, 04:01 PM   #268
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Good point. I was thinking they may have quit just do to a decrease in business, but that would not make sense, because their compensation would not be dependent on volume... duh. Mental models are hard to change. Wonder if they cut hours to offset decreased business?
I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Higher per hour costs necessarily lead to tighter management of hours. We'll probably never know all the reasons / areas of impact of what happened. I just remember them moving to the no-tipping model and making the media rounds to tell everyone so thought it was interesting when they went back to the old model. Economics, including labor economics, are tricky - unless you can predict the effect on every variable, you often have unintended consequences.
      05-15-2016, 01:40 AM   #269
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Other parts of the world don't tip. It's just the good ol' US of A that demands tips.

Are u in the US?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 06:22 AM   #270
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

I didn't go back and review the entire thread but I'm curious to know what people's experiences are with the level of service received at a mid level US restaurant vs a mid level non US restaurant.
      05-15-2016, 07:28 AM   #271
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
I didn't go back and review the entire thread but I'm curious to know what people's experiences are with the level of service received at a mid level US restaurant vs a mid level non US restaurant.
Lots of variation, although my experience is somewhat wide, but not deep.
Let's set the baseline as US being friendly, and speedy, but not particularly professional or efficient.
Northern Europe represents, to me, the opposite. Less friendly, but more professional and efficient.
UK and Canada seem to be good blends of those two.
Mexico is a shit show near the border, better inland, but leaning more toward friendly and away from professional. (No resort experience.)
Southern Europe slides more toward the US on friendliness and away from Northern European professionalism. Call it more "relaxed".
Brazil resembles US, but more in extreme - very friendly, but inefficient.
No experience in Asia.

All in all, I prefer the Northern European style. Efficient and professional. Leave you time and space. That is my preference. YMMV.

Edit: but for a smaller, more casual meal, like a brunch, I prefer the more relaxed and friendly approach. Was thinking above of more formal meals - larger group, dinner.

Edit 2: I may have overthought this. Sorry. I do that sometimes.
      05-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #272
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I don't think paying more in tips is validated by the guy who comes by and scraps the bread crumbs off of the table.

I have had good and bad service in all types of restaurants.

One of the waiters that I loathe the most is at St. Regis in Orange County. He pulled a quick one and screwed us over by constantly refilling the table's water with $5 bottles of water. I get the bill and see that we get charged $40 for water! All while my brother in law's coke was never refilled, but boy did they top off our water left and right.

(He asked if we wanted sparkling, we said no. I guess tap water is only given to those who specifically ask for tap water as the non sparkling water defaults to overpriced fancy water)
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2016, 10:37 AM   #273
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Come back, Springs1, we miss your rants!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 04:52 PM   #274
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Just the...?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 02:39 PM   #275
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

Wow that springs1 was sure entertaining. I bet she watches food network and yells at the TV.
Appreciate 1