E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > How do you tip?

04-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #45
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Other parts of the world don't tip. It's just the good ol' US of A that demands tips.
Other parts of the world pay their service staff a living wage with benefits, hence no tip required or expected... Some parts of the US are heading that way with states like CA being at the forefront. When I'm in CA, yes I tip much less...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 02:36 PM   #46
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

I tip 20% because three kids.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #47
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Between 14 and 21 percent. Seams reasonable.

But what if you're eating in Peasantville and your bill is only $61.39 without tax?
$80 brother
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2016, 02:57 PM   #48
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

If good service, I almost always leave 20%...

... but here is the deal, have no expectations if you're service sucks.... and recently anywhere that I have been going, it's been that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #49
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Other parts of the world pay their service staff a living wage with benefits, hence no tip required or expected... Some parts of the US are heading that way with states like CA being at the forefront. When I'm in CA, yes I tip much less...
I guess that's why I feel the way I'd do about tip, I'm in CA. Unless I'm missing something here, the employed in here in CA get at least minimum wage+ tips. Minimum wage sucks but it's better than $2 like another poster mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #50
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
You referring to those coffee pourers that make almost as much as entry level nurses... hell nah
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 03:05 PM   #51
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

15% to 20% every time
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #52
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Tips are called that for a reason....I tip for good service and will tip more for exceptional service but that is very rare.
Find way too many people in the service industry think they are owed a tip....sorry to say that they are not,they have to work for it just like any other job.
You should read what I wrote. I never said they deserved anything and that bad service equals little or no tip. I did say 10% was low. Most service workers get paid a little over $2 per hour plus tips. While they don't deserve something for nothing, they do deserve more than 10% IF they have provided good service.
I think 10 on 100 bill is reasonable.
Especially since I'm a very easy person to serve,respectful and usually spend more than 100 each bill.
Most servers I know make very good money so don't feel bad with 10%
Like I said before,I will tip more for exceptional service but it seems less and less common these days for that to happen.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #53
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

for sit-down eats and delivery
20% for above average (or higher) service.
15% for average
<15% (down to zero) for crappy service.

for counter pickup
~10%

and i usually try to leave the tip in cash. even if i am paying the rest with a CC.
      04-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #54
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
10-15% for Average Service
20% for good service
25-30% for exceptional service.

And I only tip on raw amount. Taxes should not be calculated in the tip amount.

*For those who leave nothing, you are basically taking money out of the servers pockets. The IRS calculates a certain amount of tip income based on their reported W-2 income. If you don't tip, you have taken that amount out of their pocket. Crappy move, IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 05:47 PM   #55
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
10% for bad service. 15% for good service. 20% for amazing service which is rare but this is for a server who basically predicts my needs before I ask and is genuinely very friendly (or a very good actor).
You give someone you don't know 10 percent for treating you badly

Haha

Serious ????

Is this a USA thing ??
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 06:01 PM   #56
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM5 View Post
Since I am a sever i usually leave 30%. Previous jobs include; electrician, mechanic, marketing, sales, and plenty more. I can honestly say serving is the hardest job I have had. Even use to work in the kitchen and manage, it was a breeze. We genuinely want to make your evening special and memorable. A friend's dad(higher up in banking) takes out candidates and will higher them based on how they treat the server.

Incase your wondering why(people leave a good tip) just look at all the different opinions and views in this one post with a handful of people. Where a server has to make 50 people happy in a few hours, making sure every reaction(since there is no time to process), has been given the right amount of attention to detail per person.

Hope this helps!
The hardest job you had was serving??? Seriously

I did it thru uni and it was the easiest job I've ever had in my life, what on earth is hard about taking people food, chatting and managing the kitchen staff to ensure your tables are fed in time ??? Long hours .... But hey so are a lot of jobs when your a kid

It was my 'look back and laugh so much how easy life was' job.....

I literally can't think of an easier job i ever had, but then again it was just a kids job, for youngsters, if your still doing it you need to question your life choices and not the actual job, your an adult, you shouldn't still be serving people dinner after collage. Perhaps that's why it's tough ??? But let's be honest servers are not hard done by at all

Also higher people ???? Seriously ????

Hire is the word your looking for.... I'm actually embarrassed for you
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 06:33 PM   #57
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

20-30%, mostly based on what is a clean number to round to. I don't worry too much about % and frankly I'm a little surprised how much debate this has brought on a website full of people driving luxury cars.

I do tip more on the first drink at a bar. It's an investment.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #58
JDougM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM5 View Post
Since I am a sever i usually leave 30%. Previous jobs include; electrician, mechanic, marketing, sales, and plenty more. I can honestly say serving is the hardest job I have had. Even use to work in the kitchen and manage, it was a breeze. We genuinely want to make your evening special and memorable. A friend's dad(higher up in banking) takes out candidates and will higher them based on how they treat the server.

Incase your wondering why(people leave a good tip) just look at all the different opinions and views in this one post with a handful of people. Where a server has to make 50 people happy in a few hours, making sure every reaction(since there is no time to process), has been given the right amount of attention to detail per person.

Hope this helps!
The hardest job you had was serving??? Seriously

I did it thru uni and it was the easiest job I've ever had in my life, what on earth is hard about taking people food, chatting and managing the kitchen staff to ensure your tables are fed in time ??? Long hours .... But hey so are a lot of jobs when your a kid

It was my 'look back and laugh so much how easy life was' job.....

I literally can't think of an easier job i ever had, but then again it was just a kids job, for youngsters, if your still doing it you need to question your life choices and not the actual job, your an adult, you shouldn't still be serving people dinner after collage. Perhaps that's why it's tough ??? But let's be honest servers are not hard done by at all

Also higher people ???? Seriously ????

Hire is the word your looking for.... I'm actually embarrassed for you
It's college
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #59
kromix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 340i AW MSport

Garage List
2016 340i (F30)  [0.00]
Tips...

What about a barbershop?

I noticed barber shops around here charge said barber rent for the month to have his chair and serve customers.... They keep all the money from the haircut and "pay the rent", do you tip them ontop of the $20-$30 a haircut costs?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 06:58 PM   #60
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDougM4 View Post
It's college
Not in the UK. College is what you do before higher education .... Google it before doing the embarrasing 'I know it all smiley wink '

Or you just look a bit thick

Couldn't be arsed doing that Wink or whatever that silly blue ' I've got one over you' icons is haha ( cannot be arsed finding the emoji that says your a bit thick and didn't realise your talking to someone that is not from your town..... Does it exist ?? )

Oh dear

Adults only site ..... It's been penetrated by 14 year olds

Ps - wink

Last edited by Rufus123; 04-10-2016 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #61
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus123 View Post
Not in the UK. College is what you do before higher education .... Google it before doing the embarrasing 'I know it all smiley wink '

Or you just look a bit thick

Couldn't be arsed doing that Wink or whatever that silly blue ' I've got one over you' icons is haha ( cannot be arsed finding the emoji that says your a bit thick and didn't realise your talking to someone that is not from your town..... Does it exist ?? )

Oh dear

Adults only site ..... It's been penetrated by 14 year olds

Ps - wink
I think he was responding to you incorrectly spelling college as collage, not challenging the pecking order of education in the UK.

Also, it is you're, not your.

Last edited by sygazelle; 04-10-2016 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 6
      04-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #62
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
Tell us how you tip....%...$$ amount.
So when I dine out I still haven't exactly found a formula for tipping.....but I'm usually good for 10% assuming the server was competent enough to be courteous and no spill food or drink on our group.
I will not give tips to incompetence(messing up order completely or rudeness)
Tell us what disqualifies a server from getting a tip from you.
Wow..like ingesting spit much? Lol, 10%.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #63
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335
Quote:
So when I dine out I still haven't exactly found a formula for tipping.....but I'm usually good for 10% assuming the server was competent enough to be courteous and no spill food or drink on our group.
Wow..like ingesting spit much? Lol, 10%.
Actually quite refreshing
So what does one get with no tip?
This is a standard I have used for average service.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 08:41 PM   #64
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
My math sucks, so either the next reasonable dollar amount (e.g. $4 for a $15 meal) or 18%... I multiply the sales tax rate (9%) by 2.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 09:22 PM   #65
Krockit1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Here in the midwest, 20% is the standard, unless you are a cheap prick, or the service is noticeably bad. Pay cash and it's all the server's money. Tip on your credit card, she has to share. Not too hard to figure that out when the food's late or not up to the pre-billing.

Married to an ex-waitress, now a psychiatrist. Doesn't matter if it's a diner or a Michelin 4 star... less than 20% (unless something was seriously wrong with the wait staff) and you are a piece of shit. Welcome to the Midwest, we take take of our own...

And definitely deduct the tax before the tip. They all get that....
      04-10-2016, 09:39 PM   #66
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

I have been in the restaurant business my whole life. Other than recent events with minimum wages increasing, servers and busboys have been paid minimal wages and the notion of tipping is an incentive to provide quality service and be paid accordingly. Figure it this way: if a server worked a 6 hour shift and was only(no tips) paid 8$ an hour, after taxes they bring home about $40. Who can afford to work and make $200 a week? A server in a quality restaurant must be more than a high school kid or an illegal mopping a floor.
They should be people friendly, be able to handle pressure and have enough brains to know the menu and so forth. I know this is not the case some of the time..believe me, I deal with it all the time. I think many of you hit it on the head that the custom of tipping is based on the precedent of it is a low hourly wage that has opportunity to prove you are good.