E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > First unusual waxing since begining of the winter

03-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #45
AdamC
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCI M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrez View Post
Why is the lube important after the clay stage ? Sorry, Ive never done anything like this before.
The lube is used to help you with the claying stage not used after.
Good video here:

The clay will clear your car of most contaminants giving you the best possible surface to then polish.

I am looking into trying new products at the moment but have achieved very good results with autoglym products which I found very easy too use and not very expensive.

Processed followed is: Rinse, wash, clay, wash, polish with AG super resin polish then finish with Autoglym High Definition wax. In between I wash the car weekly or fortnightly and just wash followed by AG Aqua wax to help maintain the durability and give it a bit of extra gloss.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #46
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
3 days is a bit much! I can get my car done in a day - but it does take a WHOLE day. Especially if you get the weheels off and do them properly too.

As I said, my Jetseal is still protecting brilliantly after 9 months. The polish/glaze is just prepping the paintwork which is all underneath the glaze.

I think the lad who did it over 3 days had a garage so took it easy, a few hours daily Doing it whole day (12 hours I assume) is a killer lol ! Your hands should be like 16 year old boy's hands lol

Great job mate, looks so nice ! There are detailing companies but they do charge even a few hundred pounds. All of the products needed would not exceed a price tag of £100 I think ?

I am looking forward to the summer time =]
      03-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #47
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
The lube is used to help you with the claying stage not used after.
Good video here:

The clay will clear your car of most contaminants giving you the best possible surface to then polish.

I am looking into trying new products at the moment but have achieved very good results with autoglym products which I found very easy too use and not very expensive.

Processed followed is: Rinse, wash, clay, wash, polish with AG super resin polish then finish with Autoglym High Definition wax. In between I wash the car weekly or fortnightly and just wash followed by AG Aqua wax to help maintain the durability and give it a bit of extra gloss.
Ahhh ok now I see what you mean.

So once I wash and rinse the car I shall dry it. Then use the clay and spray the lube at once. Then is it ok to only rinse the car to get rid of the dirt or just wash it once again and then rinse ? Afterwards, dry the car, polish and wax. Some here said that instead of waxing it would be a good idea to use glaze or sealant especially on a silver car...

Thank you so much !
      03-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #48
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Glaze before you wax.
      03-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #49
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
oh beading.

03-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #50
Boothmeister
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330D, Estoril Blue

Has anyone suggested the Werkstat Acrylic kit? Everywhere I look this stuff gets superb results and recommendations on the lighter coloured paints.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...-kit-cat1.html

You can buy the whole kit or just the separate products if need be. I've just ordered some and will be giving it ago soon. Menzerna Power Lock is also a nice sealant and currently sat on my motor.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #51
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68 View Post
Glaze before you wax.
Ahh all righ, thanks a lot So Ive got a plan, just waiting for a right time =] Will make some thread on it for sure =]

Quote:
oh beading.

Damn thats nice. Is this your car ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothmeister View Post
Has anyone suggested the Werkstat Acrylic kit? Everywhere I look this stuff gets superb results and recommendations on the lighter coloured paints.

You can buy the whole kit or just the separate products if need be. I've just ordered some and will be giving it ago soon. Menzerna Power Lock is also a nice sealant and currently sat on my motor.
Noone suggested this I think. For £61 its not so bad. Once your car is done, keep us updated Cheers mate.
      03-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #52
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Has anyone suggested the Werkstat Acrylic kit?
It's very good. Recommended. Prime then Jett. Use them sparingly though.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #53
sives
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Saving to get a e46 m3 ;)

Quote:
Some people like their families lol

Thats some great products there mate Post some pics if you have any, would love to see the end result. How long does the process take ? Someone here said, 3 days lol !!!

I hope it lasts for many months, however if you wash your car like I do every week, will the glaze and other stuff come off ? If there is mud on my car I will not leave it like that so will wash it...

Once the summer comes I will rethink the products recommended here and choose some lol Ill defo make a thread about it and some info for anyone who didnt tried

Thanks a lot !
Thanks mate, yeah here is some pics the latest ones are the ones first this is after just washing it with Autoglym shampoo. Might try some Meguiars one next.

One i first did mine (October last year). It took like a whole day to do it (started it like at 9 in the morning, finished at 6 pm). It would have taken longer if i used the DA polisher too correct the scratches and swirl marks. This is gonna be done once this weather gets better. I recken it would take like 2-3 days to do this.

I recently did my dads car and it made a big differnerne. Next one is my mums car (Micra and its a 07 plate so it should be easier.).

I have only put the new wax like in january. It has lasted very well, also topped it up like 1 month ago. It gives a very nice wet look. it turns heads when i drive it about, especially at night time.

The Glaze and wax will not come off if you just jet spray it and use the good shampoo. after that dry it off, and spray some Quick detail to give that extra gloss. I hate the sight of mud or dirty on the car, it easily comes off with a jet wash.

Yeah try that out mate. will like too see what you use. Its like a learning lesson on what products are good. learnt alot, but this still got loads too learn. It was a good idea of posting this, as it will help others who are stuck on this too.

Sorry about the essay and the number of pics.

latest Pics.

old pics

Last pic is after a 150 miles trip too NEC birmingham for the autoshow in january.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #54
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ahh all righ, thanks a lot So Ive got a plan, just waiting for a right time =] Will make some thread on it for sure =]

Noone suggested this I think. For £61 its not so bad. Once your car is done, keep us updated Cheers mate.
Yeh it is
      03-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #55
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sives View Post
Thanks mate, yeah here is some pics the latest ones are the ones first this is after just washing it with Autoglym shampoo. Might try some Meguiars one next.

One i first did mine (October last year). It took like a whole day to do it (started it like at 9 in the morning, finished at 6 pm). It would have taken longer if i used the DA polisher too correct the scratches and swirl marks. This is gonna be done once this weather gets better. I recken it would take like 2-3 days to do this.

I recently did my dads car and it made a big differnerne. Next one is my mums car (Micra and its a 07 plate so it should be easier.).

I have only put the new wax like in january. It has lasted very well, also topped it up like 1 month ago. It gives a very nice wet look. it turns heads when i drive it about, especially at night time.

The Glaze and wax will not come off if you just jet spray it and use the good shampoo. after that dry it off, and spray some Quick detail to give that extra gloss. I hate the sight of mud or dirty on the car, it easily comes off with a jet wash.

Yeah try that out mate. will like too see what you use. Its like a learning lesson on what products are good. learnt alot, but this still got loads too learn. It was a good idea of posting this, as it will help others who are stuck on this too.

Sorry about the essay and the number of pics.

latest Pics.

old pics

Last pic is after a 150 miles trip too NEC birmingham for the autoshow in january.
Very very nice indeed. So you are the detailing expert, even taking care of your parents cars - respect I do enjoy washing my car, the end result gives huge smile on your face Yeah, it will be my first time but we will work together with my son on the car so should be a lot quicker. We will get some nice products and try it out. Some great recommendations here by the members, but I need to decide what to get at last.

Btw, great looking E46, is that 320i ? Great result of your work. Looks like you have many sets of wheels lol :P I cant imagine if you buy the M3 E46, how long you will be detailing it for lol

Nice one mate, cheers !

Quote:
Yeh it is
Looking lovely Spark =]
      03-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #56
sives
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Saving to get a e46 m3 ;)

Quote:
Very very nice indeed. So you are the detailing expert, even taking care of your parents cars - respect I do enjoy washing my car, the end result gives huge smile on your face Yeah, it will be my first time but we will work together with my son on the car so should be a lot quicker. We will get some nice products and try it out. Some great recommendations here by the members, but I need to decide what to get at last.

Btw, great looking E46, is that 320i ? Great result of your work. Looks like you have many sets of wheels lol :P I cant imagine if you buy the M3 E46, how long you will be detailing it for lol

Nice one mate, cheers !

Looking lovely Spark =]

Thanks mate, I got a long way to be a expert, hahah. .

Yeah always do their cars, since i was in secondary school.

Yeah thats the reason why i do it myself, dont trust the ones in town , as i have had bad experience where they have scratched the car . Even when i was in uni, i went too the petrol station which have the jet wash facility.

Like what i said , i only started like a year ago in term of taking it seriously in looking after the appearance of the paint. You start to test different products and find the ones you prefer. Good luck with mate. Yeah its a good idea of getting some one else too help you out, saves so much time.

Thanks mate its actually a 318ci (with a 2 litre engine), got it like when i was 21 (4 years ago ), insurance was alright. cheap now so thats why i am after a e46 m3. Looking for either a LSB (laguna seca blue) or silver grey one. need to be patient, for the right one.

hhaha your right about the alloys, had like 9 set of alloys in the period of 1 year lol. cost alot tho, but made some money in selling them.
Trying to control myself on buying alloys now. got the black ones but refurbing them myself now.

I would spend more time in detailing the m3 , especially if it the lsb one.

thanks mate, looking forward to what products you get and the pics of how it looks after
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #57
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sives View Post
Thanks mate, I got a long way to be a expert, hahah. .

Yeah always do their cars, since i was in secondary school.

Yeah thats the reason why i do it myself, dont trust the ones in town , as i have had bad experience where they have scratched the car . Even when i was in uni, i went too the petrol station which have the jet wash facility.

Like what i said , i only started like a year ago in term of taking it seriously in looking after the appearance of the paint. You start to test different products and find the ones you prefer. Good luck with mate. Yeah its a good idea of getting some one else too help you out, saves so much time.

Thanks mate its actually a 318ci (with a 2 litre engine), got it like when i was 21 (4 years ago ), insurance was alright. cheap now so thats why i am after a e46 m3. Looking for either a LSB (laguna seca blue) or silver grey one. need to be patient, for the right one.

hhaha your right about the alloys, had like 9 set of alloys in the period of 1 year lol. cost alot tho, but made some money in selling them.
Trying to control myself on buying alloys now. got the black ones but refurbing them myself now.

I would spend more time in detailing the m3 , especially if it the lsb one.

thanks mate, looking forward to what products you get and the pics of how it looks after
Wish you make your dream come true ad but the M3 in the Laguna Seca colour I think you will spend 5 days for detailing the car then lol ! It is a real beauty, little go-kart =]

Yeah Ill post some thread on my first ever detailing with procedure steps and products etc etc so other people who never tried it before could think about trying

Once again thanks to all of you for recommendations and explanations !!!
      03-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #58
Boothmeister
England
Rep

Quote:

Just applied my 1st coat of the Werkstat Jett Trigger. Just on top of the Menu Power lock already on as I have a poorly wrist so couldn't do the full mashing yet. It is bloody impressive stuff. It's so easy to use and the look is awesome. It really is. Never have I used a single product that makes so much difference in so little time. You could almost see it applying shine as you went.

Very recommended.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #59
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just applied my 1st coat of the Werkstat Jett Trigger. Just on top of the Menu Power lock already on as I have a poorly wrist so couldn't do the full mashing yet. It is bloody impressive stuff. It's so easy to use and the look is awesome. It really is. Never have I used a single product that makes so much difference in so little time. You could almost see it applying shine as you went.

Very recommended.
Thanks for sharing. Is the product you are talking about here :

It is quick method to clean, protect and maintain a paintwork with a good overall result but it is not comparable to the conventional long process of detailing and not as near as effective. It is just a quick way to get good effect.

Last edited by Matrez; 03-29-2013 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #60
Boothmeister
England
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. Is the product you are talking about here :

It is quick method to clean, protect and maintain a paintwork with a good overall result but it is not comparable to the conventional long process of detailing and not as near as effective. It is just a quick way to get good effect.
Yes that's the one.

I'd have to disagree with the rest of your post thought. Detailing is going the full hog isn't it (clay, deionised, machined etc) and as the kit states, it is for new or we'll maintained paint. The Werkstat kit is designed to be the clense/glaze stage followed by sealing/wax etc and the kit does an amazing job at that. If the paints poor then it isn't going to work as well which is the case with any LSP isn't it? The hard work is in the preparation. Surely any wax/sealant does the same job, granted with different results but I don't think you'd buy the kit and expect it to fully detail your car would you? No LSP is meant to, except maybe something like AGP which is designed to be a one step product.

Last edited by Boothmeister; 03-30-2013 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #61
breathe3asy
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 340i F30

Garage List
E92 325i  [10.00]
Damn I clearly have a few things to learn when it comes to detailing. Yesterday, I simply washed my car with Autoglym shampoo & polished with Collinite 476.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #62
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes that's the one.

I'd have to disagree with the rest of your post thought. Detailing is going the full hog isn't it (clay, deionised, machined etc) and as the kit states, it is for new or we'll maintained paint. The Werkstat kit is designed to be the clense/glaze stage followed by sealing/wax etc and the kit does an amazing job at that. If the paints poor then it isn't going to work as well which is the case with any LSP isn't it? The hard work is in the preparation. Surely any wax/sealant does the same job, granted with different results but I don't think you'd buy the kit and expect it to fully detail your car would you? No LSP is meant to, except maybe something like AGP which is designed to be a one step product.
Ahhh ok so the kit is simply addition to the conventional detailing process of some sort Thanks for the input !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceaton88 View Post
Damn I clearly have a few things to learn when it comes to detailing. Yesterday, I simply washed my car with Autoglym shampoo & polished with Collinite 476.
I am also new to the detailing business. Ive always cleaned my car with standard car shampoo and then wax lol Thanks to the help I will do it properly for the first time this summer I wish you luck and for sure will keep you updated =]

Thank you...