E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > hydro bearing nvh?

11-29-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
miker2013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 6mt Msport coupe

hydro bearing nvh?

quick question on hydro bearings... are these also called tension arm bearings?

how big of an impact do these hydro bearings have on NVH and road noise in our bmw?

are there different bearings for different models? do the xi models and i models and m models all have different bearings?

i did a suspension overhawl on my e92 xi this summer and the tech suggested i replace the hydrobearings (on my invoice the bmw part number listed was 31-12-6-768-818) how was that different than the stock xi hydrobearing?

i am noticing a little more road noise in the cabin and was wondering what was causing it

thanks

Last edited by miker2013; 11-29-2017 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Yes.

Depends on type and condition.

Yes.

It's not; it's the same thing.

How many miles? Certainly a newer/tighter part will offer a different "feel" than an old/worn unit.

You're welcome.
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      12-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
miker2013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 6mt Msport coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Yes.

Depends on type and condition.

Yes.

It's not; it's the same thing.

How many miles? Certainly a newer/tighter part will offer a different "feel" than an old/worn unit.

You're welcome.
thanks

my stock hydro bearings only had like 30k kms on them (and that was from brand new off the showroom) but when i did the shocks and sway bar upgrade on my car the tech suggested them to be changed

since the change (altho it could have been the shocks and sways) i feel the steering feels much much tighter and more precise which i like so that made me think they were not stock xdrive bearings but a different one altho the part # on my invoice says stock xdrive ones like you mentioned... i am gonna confirm this with the dealer however

the thing is i immediately noticed more road noise and especially in the front of the vehicle after the change so thats why i was wondering about the bearings

i also have dinan camber plates but they are the fixed ones so i dont think they can add nvh?
Appreciate 0