E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Power Stop calipers - please share your experience?

02-21-2020, 07:45 AM   #1
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Arrow Power Stop calipers - please share your experience?

So, the rear brakes on my 2009 328xi Touring are done.
It kind of caught me off guard as I hoped to plan my brake upgrade over time, but now I need to act quickly (i.e. this week).
Rather than just changing the rear rotors and pads, I am looking into an upgrade since the rotor/pad cost is the same (besides getting new calipers).

After all the reading on upgrade options, I have settled on 335i calipers all around unless I can quickly find 135i performance brakes somewhere as those work on E91 as well.

Has anyone installed Power Stop calipers from Rock Auto? I am not interested in Power Stop rotors or pads, just calipers.
It seems that all Rock Auto calipers are remanufactured factory units as they have BMW/Ate markings on them. However, how they coat them and install pistons/seals etc. is obviously the important bit. Hence my question whether someone has experience with these.

I am not too crazy about red color, but want the powder coating protection and given that I don't have a month to mess with this (get a set of calipers coated), I want to buy ready-to-install calipers this week. Although red may not look bad with my Monaco Blue. I just wish they offered a black powder coat option.
Here are the 335i calipers I am looking at:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...340&cc=1446237
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...336&cc=1446237
And I'll throw in the Centric rotor/pad kit on:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...46237&jsn=8409

Thanks for any input.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:15 AM   #2
kamaaina1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i x-drive

Garage List
90-day warranty seems really short... JMO
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaaina1 View Post
90-day warranty seems really short... JMO
Yeah, good point. Although, even the Centric reman calipers have only 90-day warranty and I'd consider Centric a "better" brand.
Looking through the options, looks like the Cardone Ultra calipers are coated (silver color) and similar price, but have 10-year/100k mile warranty. That does sound better. I think I'll go with those instead.
NuGeon has a lifetime warranty, but they are not coated.

I can also get used calipers locally cheaply, but don't have time to refurbish them properly these days.

Also, I just realized that I'm not sure they'll issue a core refund for returning 328i calipers instead of 335i although they are the same core charge.

Last edited by eljay; 02-21-2020 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0