E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Clutch vibration felt through pedal

07-01-2011, 02:46 AM   #1
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Clutch vibration felt through pedal

I've had my clutch replaced 2 days ago by my dealer to solve the Clutch Judder issue (the flywheel was not changed as was within tolerance levels according to BMW UK).

Two days in (and no the judder is not back) however, I've noticed that you can occasionally feel vibration through the clutch pedal either when you are depressing the clutch or during the pedal travel when you are bringing to bite. Is this normal? From what I remember previously, I think the E92 did have a bit of clutch pedal vibration before but its a bit more than normal.

A friend said to give it some time as it probably still settling/bedding in 'til about 800-1,000 miles. Is this true?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 03:55 AM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Sounds more like the clutch release bearing to me; can't hurt to take it back to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #3
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
What you can feel is the vibs from the engine, travelling along the crankshaft and into the gearbox input shaft, then through the release bearing and then the pedal, all of the 4 pots BMW diesels I've driven, do the same, to a greater/lesser extent.

You might find this decreases when the input shaft and flywheel spigot bearing get covered in a layer of centre plate dust, it might be more noticeable, due to metal to metal new parts being fitted.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
What you can feel is the vibs from the engine, travelling along the crankshaft and into the gearbox input shaft, then through the release bearing and then the pedal, all of the 4 pots BMW diesels I've driven, do the same, to a greater/lesser extent.

You might find this decreases when the input shaft and flywheel spigot bearing get covered in a layer of centre plate dust, it might be more noticeable, due to metal to metal new parts being fitted.
Thanks

Your description is bang on to what the dealer said to me and a ex-BMW master technician. Just got worried as it seems more excessive than before as you can feel it just before the clutch hits the floor; when clutching down. I'm told give it a few weeks and it will calm down.

Googling it shows on other forums that this is common on some M3's and low mileage diesels such as mine.
Appreciate 0