E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Manual Elitists Need To Stop Being Snobs

10-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasmir View Post
That article by Jalopnik is pretty juvenile - It sounds like it's written by somebody who doesn't know how to drive a standard.
Of course, I'm sure that's not the case (as it's written by Travis Okulski, one of their editors), however I can't help feeling the author's point of view is as skewed as those he's criticizing.

The point of all cars isn't simply to get the best lap times, nor does a manual gearbox provide the only means to be fully engaged.

Why can't both have their place with enthusiasts?
This is a stupid article.

edit: it's under the rant section on Jalopnik - that's where it belongs.

As far as Jalopnik goes, I rank them the lowest on my totem pole of who I listen to about cars. Several reasons for this: they praise TGUSA, who have catered to hillbillies quite oft, they are part of gawker media which lives up to its name (the stories are there for shock value to generate hits, they don't care if it's true or not) and they filter the comments section of the site via a promotion system where the top commenters have been promoted themselves via the editors/mods/authors of the site and their opinions take up the entire comments section. The starring system allows you to freely submit your opinion on their site (but only once you have earned that approval via a high ranking mod), on the day of the big reveal of the FT-86 everyone who wrote a joke parallel to the joke written by the author received a star. Later the author took the top comments and rewrote the article by including all the jokes that received stars into a new article. This then became a weekly event for the site because they noticed that article got plenty of hits. Then they divided each article into sections so that you weren't clicking one page to get whatever the approved commentary was, you were clicking through several pages (increasing the number of hits on that specific article).

That site is a mess, and its like a high school clique over there. /end rant
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #24
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYearsBoy View Post
AWESOME ARTICE.. I really don't see the point anymore of a manual (Stick) and car manufactures know it. For me its a hassle to worry about a car stalling or most of my family members not being about to drive it.
Saying that you don't see the point of a manual transmission just makes you sound arrogant. No transmission is better than another, it's a case by case system (what works for you may not work for others and vice-versa). Feedback is important to me, it's the bond between me and the cars I've owned. It may not be for you, but try not to be so closed-minded.

My hope is that you are a troll or a sheep.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #25
Rmk392
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
AWESOME ARTICE.. I really don't see the point anymore of a manual (Stick) and car manufactures know it. For me its a hassle to worry about a car stalling or most of my family members not being about to drive it.

Also a friend of mine had a 360 spider and was in a bad car accident his left leg was almost unusable but thanks to the Paddles in the Ferrari he could still enjoy driving.
if you have to worry about stalling every time you drive, then clearly manual isn't for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #26
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
You clearly don't know how to drive a manual so you really shouldn't be piping in on this topic.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #27
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Saying that you don't see the point of a manual transmission just makes you sound arrogant. No transmission is better than another, it's a case by case system (what works for you may not work for others and vice-versa). Feedback is important to me, it's the bond between me and the cars I've owned. It may not be for you, but try not to be so closed-minded.

My hope is that you are a troll or a sheep.
I think what I what mostly upset about are people who would see my car and constantly say why didnt you get the manual.. its just as good I can get almost the same response. Car manufactures want to increase numbers for the car so they are slowly getting rid of that transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmk392 View Post
if you have to worry about stalling every time you drive, then clearly manual isn't for you.
Lol^ I hate the break in the hassle of it.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #28
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
You clearly don't know how to drive a manual so you really shouldn't be piping in on this topic.
You talk soooo much crap.. By the way how is your 135i.

You dont know me.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #29
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Its different strokes for different fokes. I hate when people talk about a manual like its the end all. Who knows what technology has in store?

I prefer paddles.. Look at some of the crazy super cars coming out.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #30
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
I think what I what mostly upset about are people who would see my car and constantly say why didnt you get the manual.. its just as good I can get almost the same response.
The response to you isn't the same response to me, it's apples to oranges. And that is the major flaw with that flow of logic. Again, what works for you may not work for others.

Quote:
Car manufactures want to increase numbers for the car so they are slowly getting rid of that transmission.
Actually, it depends on the segment that the car is aimed at. Cars are engineered with a purpose, sometimes to be a commuter, other times with performance in mind(performance =/= transmission choice). If the segment has a higher take of manual transmissions, then there will definitely be that option on that specific model. Sweeping generalizations are never good. Try not to use them.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #31
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:

You dont know me.
I no longer have a 135i and it was great. Not really sure what you're trying to prove with that statement.

Stalling is not an issue for a competent manual transmission driver.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #32
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The response to you isn't the same response to me, it's apples to oranges. And that is the major flaw with that flow of logic. Again, what works for you may not work for others.

Ya I said that in another post..

Actually, it depends on the segment that the car is aimed at. Cars are engineered with a purpose, sometimes to be a commuter, other times with performance in mind(performance =/= transmission choice). If the segment has a higher take of manual transmissions, then there will definitely be that option on that specific model. Sweeping generalizations are never good. Try not to use them.
Haha^^ I have no clue why someone would buy a manual commuter car That would suck..

Im not generalizing its technology and its moving forward.. Paddles might be outdated one day. Im not saying manuals arent fun for some people or no one will ever like them again. Im talking about manufactures pushing their cars to the next level.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #33
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:

You dont know me.
You are right, I don't know you. But I am not "talking crap" . I am showing you that the world would be a boring place if everyone was exactly you.

As far as my bimmer goes, she's doing well, thanks for the smirky attitude, very, very cute(at this point I'll chalk you up to troll). I got a check from BMW-NA to compensate me for my dealership's mess-ups and my time. Every issue I have had so far is traceable back to the last repair they did. (They broke several things on their own accord, not that I had broken them nor was it a fault of the transmission. When my turbos gave way the broke my coolant housing, and every subsequent repair led to them breaking something else.)

Don't know where you were going with that last comment.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #34
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I no longer have a 135i and it was great. Not really sure what you're trying to prove with that statement.

Stalling is not an issue for a competent manual transmission driver.
Yes but it does happen I learned to drive stick in PA and there were some hills that made it suck.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #35
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You are right, I don't know you. But I am not "talking crap" . I am showing you that the world would be a boring place if everyone was exactly you.

As far as my bimmer goes, she's doing well, thanks for the smirky attitude, very, very cute(at this point I'll chalk you up to troll). I got a check from BMW-NA to compensate me for my dealership's mess-ups and my time. Every issue I have had so far is traceable back to the last repair they did. (They broke several things on their own accord, not that I had broken them nor was it a fault of the transmission. When my turbos gave way the broke my coolant housing, and every subsequent repair led to them breaking something else.)

Don't know where you were going with that last comment.
Im not reading this post cus your right i dont think you are talking crap!! That post was not directed towards you..

Also have no clue what issues you were having with your car until this post. sorry to hear.. My car was a nightmare too and BMW NA sucks.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #36
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Haha^^ I have no clue why someone would buy a manual commuter car That would suck..

Im not generalizing its technology and its moving forward.. Paddles might be outdated one day. Im not saying manuals arent fun for some people or no one will ever like them again. Im talking about manufactures pushing their cars to the next level.
Generalizing the purpose only proves exactly the point I am making. A car is a tool. It can be used for many different purposes. If a car were built for only commuting, we would all be driving econoboxes.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #37
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Im not reading this post cus your right i dont think you are talking crap!! That post was not directed towards you..
Oh my bad. (I got a notification that it was a reply to my post...)

And no worries about BMW, I am never getting a car serviced with them again so I am not worried. I have a local tech who is so much better and has actually fixed a problem with my headlights that my dealership wasn't able to...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #38
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Generalizing the purpose only proves exactly the point I am making. A car is a tool. It can be used for many different purposes. If a car were built for only commuting, we would all be driving econoboxes.
Quote:
Oh my bad. (I got a notification that it was a reply to my post...)
Its cool.. Not really sure where all of this has gone. I like Paddles think they are cool I just hate when people put them down.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #39
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Its cool.. Not really sure where all of this has gone. I like Paddles think they are cool I just hate when people put them down.
Different strokes for different folks
I don't put down any option because in some realm that option makes sense.

There was a good article on why paddles with DCT is superior to manual with a turbo'd car. But that's only for shaving fractions of a second for lap times. (Has to do with boost pressure and loss between shifts)

Paddles are cool, I'll give you that. Buddy of mine has a DCT with paddles and his ability to control that car is beyond my capability to control mine.

I would be sad to see the manual transmission go away because if it did disappear the only reason would be for MPG (average fleet economy laws).

Guess I have the opposite situation as you, my car-nut buddies are nuts for DCT.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #40
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:

Also have no clue what issues you were having with your car until this post. sorry to hear.. My car was a nightmare too and BMW NA sucks.
Clearly you were directing your comments toward me but I'm still mystified. What are you talking about? How is your IS300? I also don't think I was talking any shit in my post. It's an automotive forum and I'm stating an opinion.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #41
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
I nominate this post for worst analogy ever.
I think you mean best analogy ever. It's scientific that a food analogy is the best analogy.

Just trying to lighten the mood.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #42
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
We were headed down a dark road for a minute...

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #43
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
I think you mean best analogy ever. It's scientific that a food analogy is the best analogy.

Just trying to lighten the mood.
sorry I just stated my opinion too. Felt a little harshly challenged.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #44
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Maybe harsher-than-necessary language on my part. I sorry.

Still trying to figure out your comment on my 135i though.

Appreciate 0