E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Honeymoon decided - Maldives and South India (Kerala)

04-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
SA320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Honeymoon decided - Maldives and South India (Kerala)

Hi guys

Further to my recent post about where to go for the honeymoon, we've now decided and plan to go to the Maldives and South India (the back waters Kumarakom, Kerala) for 2 weeks in January 2015.

I'd really appreciate some advice on a few things - costs, contacts for booking & recommendations on where to stay based on our budget. I haven't done much research yet but am 'hoping' (please don't shoot me if this is impossible) to do both within a £5k budget, which should include the necessities (flights, accommodation and food).

NB: I don't mean to sound like a tight ar*e but we really have to focus on keeping the costs down as the wedding is literally taking the majority of our budget!

I'm thinking of doing Kerala first for a number of reasons: It's a bit more adventurous and we'd rather do all that first and then go on to the Maldives where we can just chill. Am I right in thinking it will be cheaper to get to the Maldives from there?

Would really appreciate advice on the following:

Kumarakom, Kerala

- Whether it's cheaper to go there first and then go to the Maldives
- Where to stay in Kumarakom
- We want to do the backwaters on a private boat.. how many days would one advise to go on the backwaters/stay in the hotel?

Maldives

Where to stay. There's so many islands and resorts and am struggling where to start. The main things we want are:

- All inclusive (fully), as I've heard if not then it will be ridiculously expensive.
- Staying on a hut on the sea
- Not having to take the additional sea plane as I understand that's more expensive.
- Not too fussed on activities (not a keen diver) but am up for snorkelling!

In advance, thanks a bunch - really appreciate the help!

If anyone has any contacts/recommendations on who I can book through I'd really appreciate it!

Suraj
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

cant really help you with India, Ive been to Goa thats a different area obviously.

Maldives I have been to also. Stayed here www.summerislandvillage.com
Stayed in one of the water bungalows, which was nice, but I would have preferred a room that was on the beach as opposed to over the water.
Its one of the cheaper islands, still fully inclusive, but did everything it needed to. I remember taking the transfer boat on the way out to the island, I booked the seaplane back. 100% recommend the seaplane transfers.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
savgeax
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i M Sport

My advice with Maldives is take a seaplane if you are remotely motion sick.

I was there in June and had an 1hr15 speed boat transfer. Got to the island but didn't feel great. On the return, the day before, they had shut the airport due to high winds and rain. Next morning at 6am in heavy rain, a speed boat transfer back to Male. My body did not like it at all and quite how I was not sick is anyones guess. I was not the only one. When I next go, it will be seaplane or a short speedboat transfer.

If you book through Kuoni, they generally offer you some form of bonus. I had a free upgrade on my beach villa upon arrival (did not ask).