E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Spec stage 2+ installed, horrible noises

04-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #23
oshusttoley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody
To clarify the chatter noise is the transmission, which is caused by the SMFW and will not improve with break in. To improve it you have to look at improving engine smoothness and/or heavier tranny fluid... increasing idle speed.

The harsh engagement is the clutch and may improve a little over time, but you'll improve your technique... I would rev the engine (on/off throttle) when working the clutch at slow speeds or from static.

The SM has its advantages... mainly in dumping the clutch on shifts. Unless you're making big power though, I think many regret getting the SM.
I believe I am falling Into the regret category. Only time will tell after break in period to see if I'm truly happy with the setup. If that vibration noise does not go away in the cabin, I will probably bite the bullet and re buy the whole thing but with dmfw
      04-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #24
oshusttoley
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeterman
yes this is normal. Keep driving it and try not to load it to hard. A lot of easy down shifting and driving in traffic will help. Get about 500ish miles on it and then start pushing it. Mine really came to life after a couple of hard launches at approx. 1000miles. keep the rpms higher than usual also about 2500rpm will avoid a lot of those vibrations.
Thanks!
      04-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #25
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

From what I could see/hear in the videos I'm guessing it's normal and it's just that your driving style doesn't match well with the the SMFW and you're not willing to trade the extra NVH for the benefits that comes with this setup.

Lugging it in third gear at less than 30 mph is definitely going to result in noticeable noise and vibration. You could try using lower gears...

To be clear, the engagement and pedal feel will get better over time as you put miles on it. The chatter at idle will not change much and the effect of lugging it at low rpms won't change either.

For anyone else, I have almost 15K miles on my spec 2+ with steel SMFW and it's been working out great for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #26
oshusttoley
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider
From what I could see/hear in the videos I'm guessing it's normal and it's just that your driving style doesn't match well with the the SMFW and you're not willing to trade the extra NVH for the benefits that comes with this setup.

Lugging it in third gear at less than 30 mph is definitely going to result in noticeable noise and vibration. You could try using lower gears...

To be clear, the engagement and pedal feel will get better over time as you put miles on it. The chatter at idle will not change much and the effect of lugging it at low rpms won't change either.

For anyone else, I have almost 15K miles on my spec 2+ with steel SMFW and it's been working out great for me.
I guess I will have to get use to it and change my driving habits a little bit to fully benefit this clutch. I do like how it's more stiff and it feels more solid. I just never experienced this and wanted to make sure all is okay and that this is completely normal
      04-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #27
rdeterman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
To clarify the chatter noise is the transmission, which is caused by the SMFW and will not improve with break in. To improve it you have to look at improving engine smoothness and/or heavier tranny fluid... increasing idle speed.

The harsh engagement is the clutch and may improve a little over time, but you'll improve your technique... I would rev the engine (on/off throttle) when working the clutch at slow speeds or from static.

The SM has its advantages... mainly in dumping the clutch on shifts. Unless you're making big power though, I think many regret getting the SM.
This is NOT true..
      04-30-2014, 09:55 PM   #28
oshusttoley
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeterman View Post
This is NOT true..
Lol ....
      04-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #29
drfrink24
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshusttoley View Post
So I just got my car back from my buddy installing the stage 2+ with steel smfw. I used the spec throw out bearing in the low position and added new fork from BMW but didn't use there plastic throw out bearing. Holy crap is the rattle bad. Even at 30mph I hear a grinding sound and chatter and rattle, however you want to call it. It's so loud you can not hear my exhaust anymore. When my foot is on the clutch, all the noise goes away. Now I heard about a little chatter, but this sounds terrifying. Will this noise subside once the clutch is broken in? My friend said the only thing he can think of is the throw out bearing vibrating and making this noise? Is this true or is it something else as well. Maybe he installed something not correctly? I used d4 fluid and bad vibration goes even to the actual stick. This is so bad of a sound I feel like it destroys the class and luxury of having a 335. You can't even hear the turbos, and for the loud grinding sound even at cursing speeds?! Please help!

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_te...nny_rattle.htm

I followed that recommendation and I have zero, ZERO, gear rattle. Spec 2+ w/Spec SMFW. Even in a drive-thru line, I hear nothing w/clutch out and in neutral.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #30
The Ghost
Reborn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeterman View Post
yes this is normal. Keep driving it and try not to load it to hard. A lot of easy down shifting and driving in traffic will help. Get about 500ish miles on it and then start pushing it. Mine really came to life after a couple of hard launches at approx. 1000miles. keep the rpms higher than usual also about 2500rpm will avoid a lot of those vibrations.
I have the same clutch but DMFW and there is zero chatter or rough engagement; it is like stock in that regard. All of that is a result of the SMFW.

I want to go single turbo, but I cannot live with idle chatter in a BMW. I wonder why there aren't sprung clutches made for these flywheels (or are the ones for the SMFW sprung?).
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #31
oshusttoley
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfrink24 View Post
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_te...nny_rattle.htm

I followed that recommendation and I have zero, ZERO, gear rattle. Spec 2+ w/Spec SMFW. Even in a drive-thru line, I hear nothing w/clutch out and in neutral.
just ordered this on amazon!
      04-30-2014, 10:30 PM   #32
oshusttoley
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost View Post
I have the same clutch but DMFW and there is zero chatter or rough engagement; it is like stock in that regard. All of that is a result of the SMFW.

I want to go single turbo, but I cannot live with idle chatter in a BMW. I wonder why there aren't sprung clutches made for these flywheels (or are the ones for the SMFW sprung?).
i wish i went with the dmfw. but i read so many people saying that the chatter is "not that bad". clearly ones opinion of comparison should not always be listened to because i think it is BAd lol
      05-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #33
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
i wish i went with the dmfw. but i read so many people saying that the chatter is "not that bad". clearly ones opinion of comparison should not always be listened to because i think it is BAd lol
I got heads and a big cam on my z06 and people on the forums said, "it's not the bad", "it's practical", "daily driveable" ETC ETC

It was nearly a $7000 mistake. I wish I put that money into a blower. What I've learned with modding is you need to take opinions from forums with a grain of salt and do your best to gain real world experiences if possible.

I think changing the transmission fluid as recommended above will help with the chatter. Without having real experience with it locally it still is a cheaper alternative that may fix the problem.

For anyone else looking into the Spec 2+, I only recommend the SMFW if you plan on going over 500WHP. If not stay with the DMFW, unless you either plan on rolling the dice or hoping changing the transmission fluid will help with the chatter.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #34
oshusttoley
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
I got heads and a big cam on my z06 and people on the forums said, "it's not the bad", "it's practical", "daily driveable" ETC ETC

It was nearly a $7000 mistake. I wish I put that money into a blower. What I've learned with modding is you need to take opinions from forums with a grain of salt and do your best to gain real world experiences if possible.

I think changing the transmission fluid as recommended above will help with the chatter. Without having real experience with it locally it still is a cheaper alternative that may fix the problem.

For anyone else looking into the Spec 2+, I only recommend the SMFW if you plan on going over 500WHP. If not stay with the DMFW, unless you either plan on rolling the dice or hoping changing the transmission fluid will help with the chatter.
You said it best. Today I took it out on the highway and in pleased to say going 80mph in 6th gear, no vibration or any unwanted noises. I am very pleased with this. I love how the clutch feels very grabby and always feels like it's ready to be floored. I can't wait until the break in period is over . I already ordered new fluid and hopefully this will help. I put about 100 miles on city driving. The noise had def gone down a lot. And people were right, with the ac on, YOU DEF hear the chatter a lot louder lol.
      05-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #35
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

For those of you that did the clutch install yourself, I was barely able to undo the top two bellhousing bolts and am wondering how in the hell i'm going to be able to tighten them back again to torque specs. Anybody have any tips on that?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #36
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
For those of you that did the clutch install yourself, I was barely able to undo the top two bellhousing bolts and am wondering how in the hell i'm going to be able to tighten them back again to torque specs. Anybody have any tips on that?
yea, i mentioned in my review, you need either a 3/8 drive with the bending head, or a small box-end(3-4") that fits them and just put all your weight into it. It was the tough part of the job.
Appreciate 0