E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Thermostat wonīt open. Tried to change it

01-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
max_k
Rep
Drives: 330XiA 2006

Thermostat wonīt open. Tried to change it

Hi!

I got a problem some weeks ago. When i start the car it goes upp to working temperature and after some time (about 15min) the car overheat.

When i restart the car i can drive about 15min again and the car overheat again.
Its like the thermostat close, because it starts blowing cold air in the car.

I have replace the thermostat and it didnīt help. I have bleed the system with this instructions

I heard it came bubbles and then i stopped. So i guess its no more air in the system.

I have noticed that when i start the car in the morning cold, the cooling fan starts to go up and down. Even if its -25 celsius outside.

So i checked the wiring diagrams in my haynes book. And the cooling fan takes signal from a sensor in the engine and one in the radiator. I have changed the one whos located in the engine. And it wasnīt any changes. It still overheating.

What should i look for?

Sorry my bad english.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
apskinner01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i w/ sport package

Sounds like water pump
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Stuck thermostat throws a code. Mine is stuck open and autozone can read the code.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
max_k
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apskinner01 View Post
Sounds like water pump
When i do the bleeding procedure the pump runs normaly. And when i restart the engine it runs normaly for abort 15mins, i think it has something to do with an sensor ro something like that. Because the cooling fan starts even if the engine is cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
Stuck thermostat throws a code. Mine is stuck open and autozone can read the code.
I have an elm327 wi-fi adapter but it didnt work. Can't find it with My iPad, iPhone or laptop. I Will get a new in few days, then i can diagnos it with the bmwhat app
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
max_k
Rep

You were right! It was the waterpump, just checked all my fault codes on the bmwhat app!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
Rodeo
Rep
Drives: 07 titanium silver 335i coupe

fan runs constant

Got a problem last Wed - fan at the rad runs hard and loud few seconds after start. No heat inside car. Temp gauge slowly rises, about 10 minutes in sends me a warning (yellow) then soon after red. I lose acceleration - cuts the fuel to the peddle. I stop the car, swear a lot then start the car again - no more warnings few minutes later yellow then red again, then yellow, then gone, then a get heat into the car. Few minutes later, no heat and away we go again. I live 100 kms away from dealer, it's gonna take me hours to get there at that pace. Brought it in to a local repair shop, they said they ran it into the yellow actual temp of coolant did not rise. He came to the conclusion that it needed a software re-flash? Sounds reasonable but anyone got any other advice? '07 335i coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
thomas88162
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
Got a problem last Wed - fan at the rad runs hard and loud few seconds after start. No heat inside car. Temp gauge slowly rises, about 10 minutes in sends me a warning (yellow) then soon after red. I lose acceleration - cuts the fuel to the peddle. I stop the car, swear a lot then start the car again - no more warnings few minutes later yellow then red again, then yellow, then gone, then a get heat into the car. Few minutes later, no heat and away we go again. I live 100 kms away from dealer, it's gonna take me hours to get there at that pace. Brought it in to a local repair shop, they said they ran it into the yellow actual temp of coolant did not rise. He came to the conclusion that it needed a software re-flash? Sounds reasonable but anyone got any other advice? '07 335i coupe
1. Don't drive it like that!
2. Have it towed to the dealer.
3. I don't know that I would trust the other shops conclusion.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #8
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas88162 View Post
1. Don't drive it like that!
2. Have it towed to the dealer.
3. I don't know that I would trust the other shops conclusion.
+1. And to add to the list:

4. Find a differerent indie -- one who has the ability to pull BMW-specific codes. Your symptoms are classic signs that your water pump if failing and you need to replace the pump and tstat ASAP. The tstat isn't manditory but since it has to be removed to replace the water pump anyway, you're better off proactively replacing it at the same time.