E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Recall only replaced one injector?

01-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
qtrlifecrisis
Scenic Artist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i

Recall only replaced one injector?

Theres a slew of things I wasn't really happy about at the dealer the other day, not so much with the car, but with the dealer itself. I was curious if the recall was supposed to replace all 6 injectors? I was told they tested, replaced 1, and "re-programmed" the other 5.

They also replaced the fuel pump, I believe the last 3 digits are either 445 or 446. Was wondering if that is the newest model?
      01-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

446 is the latest fuel pump. as far as injectors, they are supposed to physically check the part no. on each one and replace if its the bad part and replace with the new one. wierd that they replaced only one as I dont see a car having one bad injector and all the rest are the good part no.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

talk about wierd stuff...

my car april 2007 build e90 they replaced 5 injectors....

pump was 933 replaced with a 933...

WTF why 5 and not 6 injectors....

/shrug
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
chng_fei
Private
China
Rep
Drives: 95 325is BG + 06 325i AW

You guys are lucky..
took my car to the dealer for the HPFP recall, they only upgrade the software.
I asked about the HPFP and injectors, my SA told me the only recall on my car is the software....
BTW my car is 07 build 2008 535i
Hamann Front Bumper//Hamann Rear Apron//Hamann Replica Side Skirts//Hamann Quad Exhaust//Vorsteiner Double Sided Carbon Fiber Hood//Carbon Fiber Grilles//Miro M6 wheels Front 19x8.5 ET 35; Rear 19x9.5 ET 30.//Yokoham AVS ES 100 F: 235/35ZR19; R 265/30R19//H&R Sports Spring+ Koni Yellow//JBT BBK Front 6 Piston; Rear 4 Piston//Halogen to Xenon Lights//PIAA Angle Eyes//Black Line Tail Lights//OEM Strut Bar//LED License Plate lights
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknbean View Post
446 is the latest fuel pump. as far as injectors, they are supposed to physically check the part no. on each one and replace if its the bad part and replace with the new one. wierd that they replaced only one as I dont see a car having one bad injector and all the rest are the good part no.
I'm guessing here, but it is based on how most mass produced items are manufactured (to reduce liability).

When a car company builds a car with many expensive parts, such as fuel injectors, they ususally have several suppliers to create competition in the supplier marketplace to keep component prices reasonable. So that means BMW probably has several suppliers supplying fuel injectors. Car companies also have very sophisticated configuration management systems for the manufacturing process that keep track, of parts by part supplier, by part number, lot number, etc. used to build the car. So in the case here, BMW knows exactly what fuel injectors from which supplier were used to build engines during a specific period (i.e. lot), so BMW knows almost to the location on the engine which fuel injectors were used. Car manufactures do this so when they find a supplier’s part is defective they don't need to recall every car ever made, just the ones they know have the bad parts. It is much cheaper for the car manufacturer to build expensive, complicated CM systems to track part usage than to just hope they don't have a problem and then if they do, recall every car they've made to fix the bad part.
Appreciate 0