E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Rechargable Power Pack to run Orbital Buffer.

08-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 G37S Loaded

Rechargable Power Pack to run Orbital Buffer.

Hi everyone, I recently purchase a random orbital buffer from sears, the 7inch craftsman model (i know, i know its not PC) I live in downtown san francisco, and cant buff or wax on my street, as its a major road.

I used a friends electricity last time, with a 100foot extension cord draping across his complex yard to a parking spot.... That was less than desirable.

I was wondering if anyone had used a Duracell powepack similar to this one http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-DPP-6...4304737&sr=1-6

to run a buffer? I only use the buffer for buffing, not the application of the wax.

I know its a shoddy work around, but its the only option I have for waxing my car every month, and not having to mooch off of my friends...

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsf83 View Post
Hi everyone, I recently purchase a random orbital buffer from sears, the 7inch craftsman model (i know, i know its not PC) I live in downtown san francisco, and cant buff or wax on my street, as its a major road.

I used a friends electricity last time, with a 100foot extension cord draping across his complex yard to a parking spot.... That was less than desirable.

I was wondering if anyone had used a Duracell powepack similar to this one http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-DPP-6...4304737&sr=1-6

to run a buffer? I only use the buffer for buffing, not the application of the wax.

I know its a shoddy work around, but its the only option I have for waxing my car every month, and not having to mooch off of my friends...

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Your post is really confusing. In one sentence you say you don't apply wax with it, and then you say it's the only way to wax each month. I don't understand what you're doing with the buffer.

You shouldn't need to use a buffer more than a couple times per year. Can you clarify exactly what you're doing?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Buffer

I apply the wax by hand. Then buff it out with a buffer. Sorry if that wasn't clear? I live downtown so I can't plug a buffer into an outlet every other month when I need to reapply the carnuba wax. Was just wondering if anyone had run a buffer on a powerpack similar to the one in the link.
      08-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG! (LOL, always wanted to say that)

you can apply it by hand and remove it by hand...you gain nothing by using a "waxer" to remove the wax. you cant buff it to a higher shine as there are no abrasives in a wax to deepen the gloss, remove defects, etc.

honestly, no need for your buffer, or a PC if all you are doing is waxing...unless you just want to speed things up. If you want to get into polishing, then there is a reason for the PC, but still none for the waxer

actually something that will benefit you is right here...no machine necessary, good looks, slick feeling, and 5-6 week durability with 10 minute application time!
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...P280/17-oz-S1/
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 12:42 AM   #5
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Every professional shop uses a buffer. Why are you the only one who doesn't believe in them? You get a more even shine, with alot less wear and tear on the shoulders when you use a buffer.

Can anyone answer the actual question, lol.

Definitely not interested in any damn spray wax, not interested in taking the lazy route. (well more lazy than using a buffer). I like waxing my car by Hand, but with a bad back it's more effort than I can handle. Hence the buffer.
      08-26-2011, 04:58 AM   #6
H4n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Sign.....
      08-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

Every shop used a buffer to polish, but not everyone uses one to wax, heck some waxes need be hand applied. I was just saying its not absolutely necessary to have one to wax as you can apply waxes/sealants by hand just as easily.

Trust me, I am well aware of the effects of a buffer and the wear and tear on your arms, shoulders, back, etc. I do "believe" in them; heck I use one every single day.

spray waxes arent too bad of an option, dont rule them out! OCW that I pointed out will protect the trim as well, cant say the same for a lot of paste/liquid waxes.

but, if you are set on your wax master, just make sure the amperage and watt ratings on the power cell are more than what your waxer draws and you should be good! $150 is pretty cheap alternative for running an extension cord.

Good Luck

Last edited by Envious Eric; 08-26-2011 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Quote:
Every professional shop uses a buffer. Why are you the only one who doesn't believe in them? You get a more even shine, with alot less wear and tear on the shoulders when you use a buffer.

Can anyone answer the actual question, lol.

Definitely not interested in any damn spray wax, not interested in taking the lazy route. (well more lazy than using a buffer). I like waxing my car by Hand, but with a bad back it's more effort than I can handle. Hence the buffer.
Eric is one of the best detailers in the country, you just came off as a huge ass. He's completely right, there's no point in using a buffer to remove wax. You got some bad info along the way. A buffer is only necessary to remove swirls and scratches and that's not part of waxing.

What you should really do is use a good sealant. Give something like 1z Einszett glanz a try, you can apply and remove by hand very very easily.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
Eric is one of the best detailers in the country, you just came off as a huge ass. He's completely right, there's no point in using a buffer to remove wax. You got some bad info along the way. A buffer is only necessary to remove swirls and scratches and that's not part of waxing.

What you should really do is use a good sealant. Give something like 1z Einszett glanz a try, you can apply and remove by hand very very easily.

I wasn't trying to come off as a huge ass, nor was i trying to discount Eric, or his ability as a master detailer.

What i was trying to convey was humor, and slight embarrassment. It obviously didn't come off very well. And for that I offer my Apologies.

I had a really bad back injury about a year and a half ago, wasn't supposed to walk again, yada yada yada. And I can usually get through an entire application of wax by hand (i prefer by hand, i feel it lets you get a little closer to your car and notice all the things you would usually miss with cursory glances.) Its when you get down to the removal that im starting to be in some pain, so In order to shorten the time necessary to wax i buff the wax clean with an electric buffer. Its not to seem professional, its not because i like the way it feels, its because i'm not trying to be bed ridden after a wax job

Eric, I guess I have a very very old school view on spray waxes. I always throw them in the same bucket as the spray waxes at the car wash. Looks like I need to re-evaluate my viewpoint.

I only bought the car a month ago, and ive already bought everything I thought you could buy for detailing, extension cords, I got the Zaino Z-PC that just arrived (will try it out this sunday) Meguiars gold class, boxes and boxes of microfibers, and lint free surgcial towels, leather protectant gels, ugh, you name it, i spent money on it. If I bought one more thing, I think my Fiance would kick my as*.... But when I feel that I can safely start ordering some more car care items, its time to check out the spray wax.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
Every shop used a buffer to polish, but not everyone uses one to wax, heck some waxes need be hand applied. I was just saying its not absolutely necessary to have one to wax as you can apply waxes/sealants by hand just as easily.

Trust me, I am well aware of the effects of a buffer and the wear and tear on your arms, shoulders, back, etc. I do "believe" in them; heck I use one every single day.

spray waxes arent too bad of an option, dont rule them out! OCW that I pointed out will protect the trim as well, cant say the same for a lot of paste/liquid waxes.

but, if you are set on your wax master, just make sure the amperage and watt ratings on the power cell are more than what your waxer draws and you should be good! $150 is pretty cheap alternative for running an extension cord.

Good Luck

The problem is, I just want to go set up in a parking lot on the outskirts of the city, but when I do that, there isnt a place to plug in my extension cord. and I hate the thought of mooching off my friends kindness by having them run extension cords for me. Thanks for the input, much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
Elka
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

It depends on the capacity of the power pack in terms of wattage. I think you need quite a bit for orbitals, so it may not work or may not last long enough.

One alternative i used was using my car's battery. You need to buy a converter with enough wattage throughput. It works but a PC will never run at full speed. Somehow it is always a bit slow. For waxing and quick polishing it is enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #12
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elka View Post
It depends on the capacity of the power pack in terms of wattage. I think you need quite a bit for orbitals, so it may not work or may not last long enough.

One alternative i used was using my car's battery. You need to buy a converter with enough wattage throughput. It works but a PC will never run at full speed. Somehow it is always a bit slow. For waxing and quick polishing it is enough.
Electrical Formula

E = Voltage I = Amps W = Watts PF = Power Factor e = Efficiency (75 – 80%) HP = Horsepower (torque output)

• Kilowatts = I x E) / 1000
• Horsepower = I x E x e / 746
• When Kilowatts is known = kW x 1000 / e
• Amps when HP is Known = HP x 746 / E x e
Amps when W is known = W / V
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG! (LOL, always wanted to say that)

you can apply it by hand and remove it by hand...you gain nothing by using a "waxer" to remove the wax. you cant buff it to a higher shine as there are no abrasives in a wax to deepen the gloss, remove defects, etc.

honestly, no need for your buffer, or a PC if all you are doing is waxing...unless you just want to speed things up. If you want to get into polishing, then there is a reason for the PC, but still none for the waxer

actually something that will benefit you is right here...no machine necessary, good looks, slick feeling, and 5-6 week durability with 10 minute application time!
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...P280/17-oz-S1/
I dont wanna talk about it....

I bought it.... Using it this weekend....

I said I dont wanna talk about it....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #14
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Not going to beat a dead horse but you did lash out at someone who knows a thing or 100 about detailing etc..

Anyhow if you're going the Zaino route then waxing will be eliminated, Zaino likes to play with only Zaino IMO. Use the whole product line for compatibility. Not a Zaino fan to be fair.

Since you mention waxing every month and if you live in the city with outside parking it sounds like you're trying to protect as well as possible. Might I suggest a different wax with way better longevity? Try Collinite 845, looks good, is a hybrid sealant/wax if you will, easy to use and lasts incredibly long easy 3 months. Oh and it's a liquid so you apply and remove easily by hand or machine. One more suggestion or more food for thought, if the above assumption about the parking etc is true you might want to look into having your car coated with Opti Coat or CQuartz and that lasts 1year+. You could have the car professionally prepared and coated then only need to wash and maintain. Again just thoughts and suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #15
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I only bought the car a month ago, and ive already bought everything I thought you could buy for detailing, extension cords, I got the Zaino Z-PC that just arrived (will try it out this sunday) Meguiars gold class, boxes and boxes of microfibers, and lint free surgcial towels, leather protectant gels, ugh, you name it, i spent money on it. If I bought one more thing, I think my Fiance would kick my as*.... But when I feel that I can safely start ordering some more car care items, its time to check out the spray wax.
Did you buy everything OTC?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #16
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Flush View Post
Did you buy everything OTC?
No, I bought everything via Amazon/Detailed Image.
Appreciate 0