E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Testercles Intro Thread

05-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
Testercles
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335iA

Testercles Intro Thread

So as recently mentioned, in the past month I have upgraded from an '09 323i to an '08 335i with 130km on it. I has Comfort Access, BMW Online (SOS button and Assist n stuff), Sunroof, Digital TV tuner and Dynamic Bi-Xenons.

So far I have been extremely impressed with the car. It's completely stock apart from some black 313 reps. I'm not a super hard driver, I love the power more for effortless take-off, moving between traffic and overtaking on the highway. That said, who doesn't like to have a little fun every now and again? I usually just potter around at the speed limit, though now I just get there faster (I have better things to do with the money that I don't have than give it to the government)

As always there's going to be some pros and cons.
Pros: Smooth torquey power, more tech, comfort access, exhaust sound, upgraded stereo - fading between sources is especially cool, Professional Nav - bigger is better, but I need the nav DVD, roof liner material feels alot nicer, dynamic xenons are brilliant around corners, digital tv tuner.

Cons: Slightly harsher ride, pre-lci headlights and tail lights just aren't as visually appealing, harsh NIC during warm-up, I can not for the life of me get my seating position correct, I completely wound back the lumbar support so as to stop the back aches after driving, trial and error I guess; incidental costs [tyre size, fuel consumption (only actually up around 1L/100km), insurance].

Issues thus far: The battery isn't powerful enough for the car [white BMW battery 70Ah 570CCA (we need more that that yeah?] so I have constant clock and trip computer resets, comfort access non functional at times, AEs don't light up on unlocking etc.
Passenger door won't unlock with the central locking but the actuator is being replaced under warranty.
Occasionally the headlight washers don't fully retract. i assume this is possibly related to the batter issue.
Front left rim cracked beyond repair and consequently a brand new tyre is toast, brake pads and discs all round need changing in under 5000km.
The "cornering lights" halogens on the inside of the dynamic xenons don't come on during cornering but seem to be reserved for flash-to-pass high beam, luckily the fully switched on high beam is the bi-xenon (important for me, I do a tonne of country kms between Adelaide and Broken Hill).

Reco comes before mods so: Brake pads, discs and sensors are going to replaced with some good quality Bendix stuff by the workshop we use at work for under $1k; New battery that has enough cold crank to solve all those issues (thinking of getting one at Battery World and taking it to BMW to register) Nav DVD and perhaps new wheels all round a single black 313 is so hard to find that I'm thinking of gloss black 588 reps staggered and selling my 313 reps. Half for peace of mind that they're all new and perfect. I can pick them up around $270 a piece. The 313s are very square edged and aggressive looking (and so easy to clean brake dust out of) but replacements are just so hard to find at the right price. Thoughts?

Then come the Mods: I had been considering a custom tune, as advertised in Wheels and Motor magazines etc for around $1800 that would take power to 276/510 but I see you guys talking about Procede and JB4 flash tunes, I imagine these are much more cost effective?
As far as exhaust goes I called places that do custom exhausts and they said because we have 4 O2 sensors that they wouldn't deal with downpipes but could do a turbo-back for $2400. Looking at Turner Motorsport I could get a Borla catback for about $1k though (I spend a lot of time on that site). What's your experience with downpipes and the sensors that they do away with? When the exhaust gets done I'd probably look at an air filter as well. Not sure if I'd go with just a better panel filter or a covered DCI.
I thought than when an exhaust and filter were done a custom tune is done to take full advantage of the system? is a custom dyno tune compatible with a procede/JB4 flash tune?
LCI tails and headlights would be lovely but I'm not sure how to retain the dynamic headlights.
Whiter AEs.
Digital radio retrofit.
some coding to get rid of the legal intro in iDrive, dvd and tv whilst driving etc.

That seems about it for now. I wouldn't go too extreme with the mods or anything. A good mix of visual, functional and performance mods without being too over the top. I don't need a race car.

All comments and opinions are appreciated. Loving the local content on this forum and some of the cars

Photo guide: Three small pics that my detailer snapped after dropping it off at Bridgeys to get the RFTs put on.
Rest are from my phone: Upon first arrival having Bridgeys check what size tyres I need (undetailed) outside and interior, Once I took delivery in the carpark next to one of our yards, the spare that I am rocking at the moment courtesy of Tyre Power (top blokes) and finally the reps I'm looking at. I'm leaning more towards 588. The 370s are nice but very common. (The BRTs are out of production) Thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
kRaZeD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Nice looking car. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
Testercles
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks man, I love it so much. Just need the wheel and battery situation fixed up and I'll of course be a lot happier and then take do other mods as time and (limited) budget allows.
It was through work as a wholesale deal. They didn't want to retail it because it doesn't have any service history or anything and it would have been too much of a liability for them. I spent hours on the phone to dealers in NSW and chased up some history of when and where it was serviced and I was satisfied by that. It was only a couple of grand changeover with my 323i, I paid under $30.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Nice ride – welcome to 335i ownership!

I reckon most of your questions have been raised on here and there are lots of answers too. A couple of things though:
  • Tune – forget the $1800 tunes you have seen elsewhere. Most guys on here are JB4, Cobb or Procede. At most, it will cost half what you were talking about. I reckon it should be one of the first mods you do after all the maintenance things are taken care of.
  • Downpipes – most on here have gone for aftermarket catless DPs. There are many options around now. The 02 sensors are always retained, not removed.
  • Exhaust – do the DPs first and try the ‘golf tee’ mod (do a search). See if you like the sound after that. If you want more noise, only then go for an exhaust as it is only for the noise rather than much power gain.
  • Whiter AEs – there are heaps of options out there now.
  • Wheels and tyres – as above!
  • LCI lights – forget doing the headlights, upgrading the tails are worth it just for the updated looks.
Enjoy!
      05-08-2014, 02:21 AM   #5
Testercles
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the response. I just wasn't sure if a custom tune was necessary with different modifications and stuff, cause I know with an NA car that you need a tune to get the most out of a set of pipes but never having had a turbo before of course things may be different. If it's half the price of a custom tune and produces similar results then I'm all for it.
I guess with a turbo it's all about air flow, so the downpipes are where the gains are, not the pipes from the cat back? I had looked at some catless DPs but kind of canned that idea when I heard about all the sensors n stuff but looks like it's back on the cards if nothing's affected. I like the idea and sound of a CAI but would certainly want a covered one to look more stock. Is there any importance on the order in which things are modified after the tune? Anything that goes well together etc. I was always under the impression that a dyno tune was done after a set of mod to tie everything together and have everything playing as nicely as possible. I'm such a noob when it comes to tuning.
Whiter AEs are definitely on the to do list and whilst it would be lovely to have the front LCI lights the rears are definitely in need of improvement. With the non-LCI headlights should the AEs come on when the car is unlocked like my old car or was that an LCI update as well?
As far as the wheels go I tried searching everywhere and can't find an image or opinion on the Style 588 on an E90. I feel that they're similar to the 313 but a bit more rounded. As long as offset is all alright I can't decide between them and the (more common) 370. Hmmm.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 05:07 AM   #6
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Take your time and get the wheels you want.

Stay with stock cat back exhaust, its good for 500hp.

$1800 tune no!!!!!!!!!! Do not do it!

Cobb pro tuning freaks or JB4 are the only options.

Most people get rid of the run flat tyres as they are noisy and harsh.

If you get a tune you will most likely hear wastegate rattle that is obnoxious and you will get new turbos. 99% have rattle.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #7
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Go the 588 wheels. They look decent and are far less common - how much are they for the set? Also catless downpipes are easily doable for 335i and would go for it after a tune for that extra power.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
Testercles
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I can get them for 270 per wheel. I was thinking the gloss black but have since started to consider the slightly two tone get/silver, given that my wheels atm are more sorta hyper black. Hmmmm.
As far as run flats go I do a lot of county kms and I'm not sure if a mobility kit would work too well on the side of a country road? Food for thought once these tyres are kaput anyhow.
Yeah I guess I don't need stupid power so what I get out of a JB4 and downpipes shold be more than enough for me, plus I guess they have a map that allows for downpipes or something? The stock exhaust sounds nice as it is!
As far as the rattle goes is that only for a custom tune or any tune like JB4 etc.? I was reading that there are plugs and coils and things that you should do before any sort of tune, is this also true with JB4?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #9
djpro1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 335i

did u buy wheels from northern beach tyre centre? that brochure looks familiar haha

I too am looking to JB4, intake and DPS.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #10
Testercles
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Nah I think it's a generic brochure for Avant Garde or something (doing a quick google and the centrecaps look the same). Going through a Tyrepower here in Adelaide.
Yeah man that's all I'm thinking performance wise for the first year or so at least. A bit more BFYB performance without going OTT or spending too much money. Realistically I don't need something crazy powerful. That said, I'm sure it becomes an addiction.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
djpro1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testercles View Post
Nah I think it's a generic brochure for Avant Garde or something (doing a quick google and the centrecaps look the same). Going through a Tyrepower here in Adelaide.
Yeah man that's all I'm thinking performance wise for the first year or so at least. A bit more BFYB performance without going OTT or spending too much money. Realistically I don't need something crazy powerful. That said, I'm sure it becomes an addiction.
Definitely think it's true. Wait a month or two and you'll get used to the power from the 335i and you'll definitely want more.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 03:00 AM   #12
kRaZeD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Power isn't much different to a reasonably stock LS1 powered Commodore... Feels virtually the same to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 03:43 AM   #13
Dan_335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRaZeD View Post
Power isn't much different to a reasonably stock LS1 powered Commodore... Feels virtually the same to me.
You clearly need more mods..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 03:50 AM   #14
Dan_335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Also paying $1800 dollars for a tune on this car when you have JB and Cobb to choose from is insane!!

I'd personally go JB4 ($550ish) straight up, map3 and it brings the car to life!

Then after that grab some catless DP's ($800ish) and a front mount intercooler ($800ish) and run map2

With that you will be punching around 250rwkw probably plenty for the street...

If you want more, get a catback ($1500ish) and intake ($300ish), run map5 and push it for maybe 285rwkw, now you'll have some traction issues!

That is literally how easy it is to get the power up in this car....
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #15
kRaZeD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_335 View Post
You clearly need more mods..
I've only had the car a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #16
Testercles
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

That sounds brilliantly simple. Plus I guess there's heaps of help and support out there for the JB4 if I run into any problems. Many users in Adelaide?
Does it have gains for economy and everything as well?
That's a very reasonably priced mod progression with fantastic results. Stock power is like 185rwkw I think yeah?
I do have a question about the DPs. Catted vs Catless? Catted are always a couple of hundred extra, is this just because they're better or?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 02:27 AM   #17
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
That sounds brilliantly simple. Plus I guess there's heaps of help and support out there for the JB4 if I run into any problems. Many users in Adelaide?
Does it have gains for economy and everything as well?
That's a very reasonably priced mod progression with fantastic results. Stock power is like 185rwkw I think yeah?
I do have a question about the DPs. Catted vs Catless? Catted are always a couple of hundred extra, is this just because they're better or?
Economy will be slightly up with a tune (mine went from say 10.4 to 11.1) it's nothing to worry about considering the power gains to be had!

yeah a healthy car with fresh plugs/coils will deliver around 185rwkw then 220 odd with a tune (depends on the dyno also)

catted DP's are more expensive purely because they have catalysts in them.

These are the high flow types and don't yield as much power as the catless items.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 05:12 AM   #18
Testercles
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Ahh ok, I guess having better economy is o lying something that the ridiculously expensive tune can help with. Somehow I don't think it would save enough petrol to justify the extra $1300 lol.
From what I've searched online there can be like 5 kw difference but that sometimes you can get a bit of a smell with a catless? Is that so common in Australia? The main problem with online research is there isn't a huge amount of local reviews. I guess is it really worth the extra $3-400?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 05:44 AM   #19
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Ahh ok, I guess having better economy is o lying something that the ridiculously expensive tune can help with. Somehow I don't think it would save enough petrol to justify the extra $1300 lol.
From what I've searched online there can be like 5 kw difference but that sometimes you can get a bit of a smell with a catless? Is that so common in Australia? The main problem with online research is there isn't a huge amount of local reviews. I guess is it really worth the extra $3-400?
See that's the thing, a tune may actually lean out the 'safe' oem fuel mixtures but when you have more power you tend to step on it a bit more then usual

Catless is fine, I haven't noticed much difference in 'smell'.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 05:58 AM   #20
Testercles
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Ahhh ok. Kind of like 4G, where it doesn't actually use more data but because the speeds are faster, you're more capable of doing more online faster so you end up using more?
Catless it is then, although, what's the legality of catless, given that there are secondary cats as well?
Sorry i don't seem to be getting it: I imagine jb4 has a setting to stop any errors coming up from the DPs? Is it because it loses a set of O2 sensors?

Last edited by Testercles; 05-10-2014 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #21
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Quote:
....... but that sometimes you can get a bit of a smell with a catless? Is that so common in Australia?
I asked the exact same thing before I started to mod mine (about one and a half years ago!!). I went with catless AR Design DPs. Yup - no smell at all!
      05-16-2014, 04:23 AM   #22
Testercles
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Even fully stock I love driving this car so much. I guess it helps that work pays for fuel but yeah it's such a blast to drive, all the time.
Once I get all the maintenance items out of the way starting on the mods will make it even better. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0