E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Unsuccessful oil change

05-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I didn't realize you had an xi on my first reply. So the xi jack point is a few inches forward of the RWD chassis. I still don't see how the car slipped off the jack and broke the heater hose. The heater hose is a good 18 inches forward of the center jackpoint on either chassis.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #24
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I didn't realize you had an xi on my first reply. So the xi jack point is a few inches forward of the RWD chassis. I still don't see how the car slipped off the jack and broke the heater hose. The heater hose is a good 18 inches forward of the center jackpoint on either chassis.
There are two center jack points no? The first one being in the front the other being in the back. The jack slipped off the front jack pint forward (it slipped towards the front of the car) and went through the plastic under body hitting a hose. The front jack point on is very close to the front of the car (close to the radiator)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #25
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Which broke the heater hose? Direct impact from the jack, or the shield?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #26
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Which broke the heater hose? Direct impact from the jack, or the shield?
I'm not sure. My mechanic said I need the hose assembly.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #27
drilla2212
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328i, z4, e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
Ramps! The only way to go for oil changes imo. If you don't like the rhino ramps, check out raceramps.com.
You sir must not have seen what a lift can do!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #28
AceOnShake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

For any work under my car I always drive it on some wood or bricks since my jack can't clear. I don't have the super low jack. I don't trust ramps or anything. I've witnessed a ramp break and thank god the oil change was already done. It started to creak and broke. We had to life to car up with a two jacks and then take out the ramps since one ramp was down.

I use the topsider oil change for my cars but e90 there is no dipstick so I take it to the dealer. 79.99 and they check everything out for me usually find something needs replacing. I have third party warranty so it works out.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #29
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drilla2212 View Post
You sir must not have seen what a lift can do!
Well discounting a lift. Most people don't have access to one of those....
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #30
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentegoE90 View Post
For any work under my car I always drive it on some wood or bricks since my jack can't clear. I don't have the super low jack. I don't trust ramps or anything. I've witnessed a ramp break and thank god the oil change was already done. It started to creak and broke. We had to life to car up with a two jacks and then take out the ramps since one ramp was down.

I use the topsider oil change for my cars but e90 there is no dipstick so I take it to the dealer. 79.99 and they check everything out for me usually find something needs replacing. I have third party warranty so it works out.
What kind of ramps? People always pull out these ramp horror stories and I could not imagine any of the ramps I have ever used failing in such a way.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #31
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
What kind of ramps? People always pull out these ramp horror stories and I could not imagine any of the ramps I have ever used failing in such a way.
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #32
oby_1
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i E90

I ordered some rhino ramps and wheel chocks off of amazon for 60 bucks shipped. I used them over the weekend on my first 335i diy oil change and I can conclude they were worth every penny.

I didn't have the problem with the ramps pushing forward even on my garage's bare concrete floor. I pushed the ramps into the wheel before driving up them so I guess they gripped well enough to avoid that problem.

The only drawback to them was that they didn't lift the car quite high enough to be able to use a creeper.

Overall though, they were very convenient.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #33
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris View Post
Buy some Race Ramps.

I got mine from Amazon.

With the shitty jacking points of the e9X Chassis, Ramps are a must.
+1 on the Race Ramps, I love mine... Used them all the time on my car and my wife's Audi for maintenance work.

They are completely solid on the inside, unlike the hollow plastic like the Rhino Ramps. Plus they offer varying ramp lengths which work perfect with my E90 w/ZSP.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #34
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep

So had to have the plastic undercover replaced as well as a coolant hose which apparently is a two piece assemble. 620 dollars is what I am being charged. Am I wrong with thinking I am being way overcharged? Coolant hose and install cant be more than...?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 04:49 AM   #35
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

In round numbers the hose is $120 and the shield is $150. The hose is a pain to replace because it has, depending upon equipment, 3 or 4 connections all of which are BMWs fancy plastic connectors with clips. The hose is bolted to the front cross member. The connection to the heater hose is under the air box, so the air box needs to come out. Considering you have an xi there is probably less room to work than on a RWD chassis, so it probably takes more time to get the hose out. I've replaced mine during an entire hose replacement event and with the radiator out, fan out, airbox out, it STILL a PIA to get that hose off the car. $300 in parts and a bit over $300 in labor doesn't seem out of range.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #36
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
In round numbers the hose is $120 and the shield is $150. The hose is a pain to replace because it has, depending upon equipment, 3 or 4 connections all of which are BMWs fancy plastic connectors with clips. The hose is bolted to the front cross member. The connection to the heater hose is under the air box, so the air box needs to come out. Considering you have an xi there is probably less room to work than on a RWD chassis, so it probably takes more time to get the hose out. I've replaced mine during an entire hose replacement event and with the radiator out, fan out, airbox out, it STILL a PIA to get that hose off the car. $300 in parts and a bit over $300 in labor doesn't seem out of range.
Thanks. I overreacted. He charged me 580 total. I also had to have the plastic under cover replaced, so I was wrong and jumped to quick, he did good work and gave me a good price. When all said and done, lesson I learned the hard way.
Appreciate 0