E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > warranty cover pothole damage?

11-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #23
aequitas330
Montego Blue FTW
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue e90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheHbKa View Post
if you get tire warranty then you will be covered for rims and tires, BUT

i had a fight with my service center: once while entering a car wash i heard scraping, my car is too low so i backed out and went to another one.

few weeks later i went into a pothole and blew out a tire

having tire warranty the tire was replaced, BUT the mechanic said that control arm was damaged by the impact.(knowing some mechanics i make them lift up the car and show me) they resist until i threat them with filing a complaint.

at the lift i see a scratch on the control arm about half an inch long and it was a surface scratch.(the way they made it sound like it was twisted completely)

i showed them and said that they are giving me BS about this.
keep in mind these repairs would not be covered and would run me total about $1500(control arm/labor/wheel alignment)

i reply that i'm not replacing a part that is good and is just surfacely scratched

they threaten me to note that i refused a safety repair and future warranty would be affected. in front of them i make a call to BMW of NA and complain about the mechanic, which couldn't say 2 words of English to save his life.

then luckily i got a good service rep. who jumps in and takes my side and states that there was no other problems found.

so as a suggestion to all of you, don't believe all that you are told, if they say its not covered by the warranty make them show you what exactly is wrong and make sure that new part is really different. NEVER TAKE THEIR WORD ON IT!!!
i was very surprised since this is a dealer service and not a private shop, so BEWARE!
Good for you... I hate how shady some dealers can be. You handled yourself well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
lets do the opposite of a pot hole...a boulder or large stone...ummmm NO...are you nuts you have a bmw your supposed to swerve around them!!!!!
lol... or at least slow down a little if you can't swerve..

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 09:30 PM   #24
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435 MPPK+1970 XKE OTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1026 View Post
I can take a few shots at your door panels with my .45 if you'd like to check if the warranty will cover those too...
OT: with my .45, I'm always amazed that I can see the bullets as they head downstream like tiny mortars.. Is that normal?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #25
david1026
Lawyers - We're like well dressed ninjas.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Oddly I can do it too, so I'd say yes. I don't think it is really that hard as long as you're a decent shot and know where the round should be flying. Same thing with golf balls lol. Sure the bullets are fast, but for an instant or two you really can track them spinning down the range and observe the impact as long as you've placed the target (or moron) decently far back.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #26
Roowah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

BMW won't and shouldn't pay for damage due to any road hazard. The parts warranty is for defects of a specific component. Crashing over a pothole and damaging the suspension is not a defect. Nor would it be covered under the maintenance warranty as if what was broken was considered a covered maintenance item, it would be considered beyond normal wear and tear.

I wouldn't suggest going into the dealership and playing innocent as someone suggested since a competent mechanic will be able to easily spot damage caused by a severe impact. However, if you are concerned of damage (i.e. vehicle now drifting to one side or excessive vibration in the steering wheel at speed) then do take it to the dealership for an inspection.

2006 E90 330i 6MT: TiAg|Black Leather|Poplar Trim|Premium Package|Cold Weather Package
2003 E46 325i 5MT: Retired - The beginning of my BMW obsession!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #27
boi222
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3m competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roowah View Post
BMW won't and shouldn't pay for damage due to any road hazard. The parts warranty is for defects of a specific component. Crashing over a pothole and damaging the suspension is not a defect. Nor would it be covered under the maintenance warranty as if what was broken was considered a covered maintenance item, it would be considered beyond normal wear and tear.

I wouldn't suggest going into the dealership and playing innocent as someone suggested since a competent mechanic will be able to easily spot damage caused by a severe impact. However, if you are concerned of damage (i.e. vehicle now drifting to one side or excessive vibration in the steering wheel at speed) then do take it to the dealership for an inspection.
Thanks. I was waiting for someone to tell me how to see if something is wrong. Sorry, I'm not a car guy. I do not experience drifting or excessive vibrations, so hopefully I'm good. I just wanted to ensure my new car drives like it did from day1.

Thanks for all the responses everyone.
'12 M3 coupe
'09 335xi coupe
'07 328xi coupe
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #28
Roowah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi222 View Post
Thanks. I was waiting for someone to tell me how to see if something is wrong. Sorry, I'm not a car guy. I do not experience drifting or excessive vibrations, so hopefully I'm good. I just wanted to ensure my new car drives like it did from day1.

Thanks for all the responses everyone.
You're welcome!

If you're not experiencing anything odd while driving, and you don't see any physical damage, then you may be okay. Just keep aware of anything that seems different. If you also notice excessive wear to one of your wheels and not the other, this could be an indicator that something is wrong. However you won't notice this for awhile.

2006 E90 330i 6MT: TiAg|Black Leather|Poplar Trim|Premium Package|Cold Weather Package
2003 E46 325i 5MT: Retired - The beginning of my BMW obsession!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2007, 12:59 PM   #29
gdnyc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
and when the dealership sees a warped rim, you're suppose to reply with, 'uh, yeah, all of a sudden the rim melted like ice cream..."
I was referring to suspension damage not wheel damage...

BMW, please get rid of the RFT's and give us a spare tire!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 01:26 AM   #30
maniac005
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Normal wear and tear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roowah View Post
What would be considered normal wear and tear for the suspension parts? How many miles are the parts supposed to last and will they be replaced under the maintenance program once they reach the wear and tear mileage limit?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 01:24 AM   #31
maniac005
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Noone knows???

Just like breaks wear out over time, suspension bushings wear out over time. BMW chose to cover brakes under the maintenance program. Shouldn't they cover the suspension as well?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #32
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac005 View Post
Just like breaks wear out over time, suspension bushings wear out over time. BMW chose to cover brakes under the maintenance program. Shouldn't they cover the suspension as well?
Engines, transmissions, differentials, and wheel bearings all wear out over time; shouldn't BMW cover those too? Maybe the warranty should be life time!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #33
trigimil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 LCI

i hit a deep deep deep pothole that caused me to slam into a curb doing about 50-55 on a major highway in north nj. towed it to BMW. they wanted to charge me $199.00 just to get it on the alignment machine. when the mechanic put it up and saw there was suspension damage, he put it right back down.

so i guess the answer is no, its not covered. i've heard that the only way you're covered under warranty is if your check engine light is on.
Appreciate 0