E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Advantages to PC orbital?

12-21-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
claycourter01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Advantages to PC orbital?

I usually apply Klasse AIO and SG by hand and have been pleased with the results. I'm considering getting a PC orbital but am wondering if there are any significant advantages to orbital application for these products.

Since they are advertised as wipe on/off I don't see how they would benefit from orbital application. Perhaps the machine application would save some time and effort in final buffing of the SG.

Also, for those of you who apply AIO/SG by machine, do you need to mask your trim for these products?

I would be interested in saving time and effort, if that is what the orbital provided. But I have a light colored car (titanium silver E90) so I probably would not expect a huge level of improvement in the depth of shine, etc.

Any sugggestions apprectiated. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
oneshare325
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
I bet you would still have some improvements in shine, and stuff. The PC would be more for the AIO but you could use it to spread the SG. If you had any swirl marks or oxidation, no matter how hard you buffed by hand you can't get it out!

Plus it is just better for the paint, keep it looking better longer!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
ICALL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Carbon Black M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by claycourter01
Perhaps the machine application would save some time and effort in final buffing of the SG.
As per DavidN's sticky, with SG, I apply with terry covered pad and IMMEDIATELY removed with an extra plush MF towel. I can't imagine it any easier to remove. I have heard if you leave it on for a while it becomes very difficult to remove. Can someone that has applied/removed SG both ways(immediate vs waiting a certain amount of time) say which way looks better?

As for your original question, I too was interested in finding out if it made a HUGE difference. I was thinking about the PC, but figured I'd wait til I had scratches/swirlmarks. Anyone with a PC that consistently uses it for application/removal of SG?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2006, 11:19 AM   #4
claycourter01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICALL
Can someone that has applied/removed SG both ways(immediate vs waiting a certain amount of time) say which way looks better?

I have compared 1) applying SG to the whole car, allowing to dry 30 min, then remove; to 2) applying to a single panel and immediately remove. The latter approach works much better. Once SG dries it is harder to buff and more likely to get streaky, in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2006, 12:35 PM   #5
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

Unless you plan to correct some scratches or marring, I don't think there is a big benefit from the PC. I use mine once or twice a year to remove minor scratches and deep clean the paint using Megs#9. AIO with PC should remove more contamination than by hand but you will have to decide if it is worth the expense.
On the other hand, if you have other cars that need polishing the PC is great. I used it on my neglected '95 Jeep with Mothers Power Polish and the result was incredible!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

For just AIO and SG you don't really "need" a buffer. My PC I mostly use to remove swirl marks and polish. Wax I still apply by hand.
Appreciate 0