E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > South Bay, El Camino Real: keep an eye out for cops

01-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

South Bay, El Camino Real: keep an eye out for cops

hey, just wanted to give everyone a heads up that uses el camino real to commute in the south bay (its faster than 101 during rush hour for me, I go from sunnyvale, thru mtn view, into palo alto every day for the past year and half).

in the past couple of months, i've seen a lot heavier police presence on el camino of mostly local PDs (i used to see a pig-mobile every few weeks, now its at least 2 or 3 a day). not sure if it's revenue generation or what (el camino real is technically Caltrans right-of-way), but watch out guys. no need to help contribute to the tax base by way of a traffic infraction.
      01-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Central Expressway is like that too. They know people using these roads are avoiding the traffic. Quite a bit of long straight roads with no lights too.
      01-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have a similar commute, but I use central
      01-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

central expwy is either caltrans ROW or county ROW, so not sure which law enforcement jurisdiction it falls under. given the state of the economy, i think most major municipalities (cities, counties, state) are probably pushing for as much revenue as possible.

lately, i have seen speed traps along el camino real, and alma st in palo alto where a crown vic or motorcycle will be parked in a driveway. luckily, i haven't seen any other vehicles being used for traffic enforcement (in upstate ny, i remember the local PD used a couple of dodge durango's that looked absolutely stock). if you are constantly scanning, you should be ok. its just that one moment of inattention that gets ya.
      01-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
central expwy is either caltrans ROW or county ROW, so not sure which law enforcement jurisdiction it falls under. given the state of the economy, i think most major municipalities (cities, counties, state) are probably pushing for as much revenue as possible.

lately, i have seen speed traps along el camino real, and alma st in palo alto where a crown vic or motorcycle will be parked in a driveway. luckily, i haven't seen any other vehicles being used for traffic enforcement (in upstate ny, i remember the local PD used a couple of dodge durango's that looked absolutely stock). if you are constantly scanning, you should be ok. its just that one moment of inattention that gets ya.
the expressway system in santa clara county is run/built by the county.

central expressway has always been patrolled by local city cops.

lawrence and san thomas are usually patrolled by the chp (though you will see from time to time cars pulled over on these expressways by city cops).

not sure about the other expressways, but i think they're usually patrolled by the local city cops.

yea, PA police love to patrol alma street since a lot of people like to speed down that long straight road.