E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > LOUD clunking noise and Steering movement (VIDEOS)

02-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
whyyoumontague
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive

Garage List
LOUD clunking noise and Steering movement (VIDEOS)

First thread here, after searching the forum and reading 20+ threads, I wasn't able to find a resolution to my issue.

I have a 2009 335i xdrive sedan with msport package. 165,000 miles.
I do not know the history of the vehicle's maintenance until 153,00 when i bought the car, outside of oil changes which are documented.

Recently I was driving on the wonderfully taken-care-of Iowa roads and crossed some railroad tracks at around 25mph. On the other side of the tracks when the pavement resumed there was a large pothole which wasn't visible. I nailed it hard with both wheels.

Since then, when accelerating from 0-30 there is massive steering wheel movement to the right (2 Inches) and it seems semi-proportional to speed. Meaning at 0-20 it will speed up with the speed of car and then level off and stay at that until it goes away above 30mph. The play of the steering is accompanied by a sometimes loud clunking noise and when turning it gets even louder and you can feel it in the seat. When braking, the loud clunking disappears and transitions to a softer knocking noise.

Sometimes, there is a very loud popping sound and then all symptoms disappear for a minute or so. I have gathered all of this from a single day driving less than 3 miles but experimenting (i live in a small town).

I have put it on a hoist and checked for any play in the ball joints and control arms as well as ensured the wheels are on tight and the bearings are good. There is no issue as far as i can tell with anything aside from minor movement in the tension strut bushing on the drivers side.

attached are links to videos with the noise (17 second video) and some movement in the steering wheel in both.

Any ideas?? If i missed a thread with this already covered, it didnt come from lack of trying i promise lol

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W5r...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Y0...kK67Ih5HZoMdZs

Last edited by whyyoumontague; 02-08-2018 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
whyyoumontague
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive

Garage List
As an update for everyone who was super worried about it: it’s the front passenger axle.
Appreciate 0