E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 2011 335i Alignment Question

02-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
azx33
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

2011 335i Alignment Question

I had my 335i aligned at a BMW indy shop $135 and after the alignment I noticed a clunk or clicking sound in the front end I went in and re-torqued control arms and all bolt on the front suspension minus the bolt on the top of the shock that holds the strut assembly together.

Today I was driving the car and the front steering went to hell. Pulled over and my left tire was tipped out of the wheel well. After jacking the car up I noticed the strut was hanging out of the strut tower mount and the bolt in the top of the shock had come loose and sitting in the tower bearing. I have Koni adjustable yellow shocks and swift springs.

My question is does the alignment shop adjust this nut to do the front end alignment? I need to know if they touched this nut during the alignment before I go deal with them, if I determine it was their fault.

Glad as hell this didn't happen on the freeway ride to work at 80mph.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
azx33
Rep

Can someone who has installed koni yellow adjustable front shocks and lowering springs on a 335i tell me how much the upper shock bolt threads are showing with the bolt fully tightened down on the shock? On my 335i there is just a little of the shock thread showing with the bolt fully tightened/torqued on the shock/strut assembly. I am showing only 1-2 threads above the bolt, which does not seem right. I compared it against my 325i with factory sport suspension and there is probably 1/2" of thread above the shock bolt looking in the engine bay at the strut tower. The struts were built with new shock tower bearings, new isolator pads, and swift spec R springs. The koni use a lock washer in conjunction with the bolt.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

The thread showing is shorter because you have the adjuster on top. I use self locking nuts and is maybe only showing one full thread. Been like that for 4 years now. Road in Chicago are equivalent to a mine field. I also track. No issues. Only concern would be if the nut isn't fully threaded. If it is, your is, there isn't noting to be worried about. I Think I have spare nuts I can ship to you. I know they are different pitch then BMW.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
azx33
Rep

Appreciate the response and kind offer. I have surmised the same as you and the bolts are seated properly. I used the Koni supplies bolt and lock washer. As a precaution I used Loctite on the bolt threads. I have checked the upper shock over the last week to see if they are backing off the shock and thus far no movement.
Appreciate 0