E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Dynavin D99 Android + USB 3G Modem

02-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
kevipedia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 325i

Dynavin D99 Android + USB 3G Modem

I'm telling you, this IS possible. I've got a stock-standard Huawei E1820 and Android knows it's there. I'm not familiar enough with Android, but I do know a bit about Linux. So when I use the Astro filebrowser to go into /etc/pppd, I can see start-up scripts, and I can see that the APN is set incorrectly.

I change this to the standard - 'internet' APN and leave the connection at *99#, as per usual.

However, it just hangs on 'connecting'. Now I am confident that Android knows about the device because the status bar shows a signal indicator when it's plugged in.

There's also a bug with the UI - if you attempt to edit the 'included' (incorrect) settings and click 'back' (after saving), it doesn't save anything. However, if you save, then click Home, then go back, it is saved. This doesn't help because then the 3G 'connect' option is stuck on 'connecting'!

I am determined to get this figured out, because using WiFi to connect is just tedious. It makes much more sense to buy a prepaid SIM, load it with 2GB data, put it on a $25 USB 3G modem and leave it there forever. Then I can use data whenever and wherever without the rubbish WiFi hotspot thing.

Right, so my question for those of you who are familiar with Android:

1) How do I view system log files? I'd presume they are text based and log to a location, but I can't find them at all
2) How I execute system files? Can I install a 'bash' type prompt? SSH would work, but I'd like to do this locally so I don't have to use WiFi. Failing this, I'd just like to know how to execute system files (with parameters). Unfortunately, ASTRO file manager doesn't do this.

If I can figure out where the logs are, or possibly write my own ppp-start script, I think I can get this working.

Then, we rejoice!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
kevipedia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 325i

Question #2 answered - 'Android Terminal Emulator'
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graduated to a 335i

Sounds like you know a tad more than I about Android/Linux and writing code. I did a search and found this to have some useful information (for you at least): http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...android-device
Appreciate 0