E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Why are we not seeing more turbo upgrades?

02-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #23
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck View Post
So TD has a working Stage 2 upgrade? The Stage 1 (otherwise known as a compressor only upgrade) has been done by several other shops over time and is very simplex (and hence very inexpensive). Over this time I think what has been realized is that.... its just not worth it- the gains just are not substantial. You really need to upgrade the turbine/centersection to have much of an upgrade, which is much more of a difficult task. AFAIK ASR is the only one to have accomplished that.

Rob
TD have a working stage 1 upgrade and are right now developing and testing the stage 2 upgrade on Tony's (E92Fan) car. The stage 1 has already yielded some substantial gains as far as I know, but I will let Tony chime in with all the details once he has finished testing everything.

If you know something about TD as well as Tony you'll understand that they won't come out with any final information until everything has been tested for a long time, among others over several days of hard track testing on the Nürburgring (where I'll be seeing him in a month at the latest).

I've also sent a set of turbos to TD serving as prototypes for the stage 2 development. Once I have more information on all of that I will also let you know all details.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      02-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #24
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Very confused in how the developing and testing overlap. Since you have sent in a set of turbos for development, I'd assume that means there could be quite some time until they are tested, let alone developed. Or are you sayin they are in fact complete and being tested, meaning development has been completed?

As for being tested, although I consider durability testing very important, I'd be more interested in seeing real life data on the performance increase to be had by said upgrades. This wouldn't include unfair comparisons either (ie pump gas on OEM turbos vs. Race gas and upgraded units). Dyno graphs and/or more useful is dragstrip information. Back to durability, if that's all we were looking for that can be found in the OEM turbo.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #25
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck View Post
Very confused in how the developing and testing overlap. Since you have sent in a set of turbos for development, I'd assume that means there could be quite some time until they are tested, let alone developed. Or are you sayin they are in fact complete and being tested, meaning development has been completed?
If I understood it correctly, Tony has been driving with the stage 1 upgrade for several months already, testing it thoroughly under real world conditions. The stage 2 is in development since a few weeks and will be put on his car within short, so that he can test it in the weeks to come. My own set of turbos has been shipped to them so that they have another set to work with and to do some research on, while Tony's set is being road-tested.

Alpina_B3_Lux