E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Poor service on 335d (2nd time round FFS)

04-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #23
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Just had the 335d in today for its 2nd service. WHAT A JOKE
Was quoted 600 quid but as it needed discs all round and an inspection it cost me including vat over 1100 squid

On top of that it was filled with the correct amount of oil AGAIN (REMEMBER LAST time they left it under the minimum mark) well it was half way between the min and max, so they added half a litre.

Then i check the service book and they put in there my car had 60k on it When it infact has 37k... so they have messed up my service book with unsightly crosses to cross out the WRONGLY filled in mileage

So once AGAIN i feel let down by BMW and there shitsie dealerships.

On the ONLY plus side they have ordered me two new door handles and also a new passenger seat base as it was squeeking. But i garantee the door handles wont match the car when they arrive.

Oh yeah i also asked to keep my old brake discs as i honestly cant see them being worn out already. So will get them independantly checked.

Carlos
Carl
you should swap it in and get merc or nissan much better service you know
      04-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #24
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
Carl
you should swap it in and get merc or nissan much better service you know
I think you would be right there mate

But then again i always thought bmw dealers would be good and they have turned out not to be.
      04-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #25
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

In days gone by disks did used to last 2 or 3 times the life of the pads BUT today the situation is different. Modern brake pads no longer have asbestos and they are a harder material. This does mean that disks don't last as long as they used to - it's a fact.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #26
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

At least its all sorted Carlos. I`ve changed my front discs today and got a new set of front pads to take with me to the `ring. Front discs £498 each + VAT front pads £300 + VAT. Who said Brembo were expensive.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 03:27 AM   #27
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
At least its all sorted Carlos. I`ve changed my front discs today and got a new set of front pads to take with me to the `ring. Front discs £498 each + VAT front pads £300 + VAT. Who said Brembo were expensive.
I know mate, but best to have good/new brakes on a car eh.
      04-05-2008, 04:14 AM   #28
Dr.Crap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Carlos,

If you are doing approx 40k a year in the car would you agree its not going to be worth much anyway when you come to sell it. It'll be a three year old car with well over 100k on the clock which will devalue it considerably.

Most people buying a very high mileage car won't be too fussed if the additional service bits were carried out independently as long as you have proof of original BMW parts - so that could at least save you some cash

It seems strange to me that prestige car manufacturers let such complete idiots run their dealerships. I mean the cars sell themselves so you could theoretically have a monkey in the sales team. The service side is usually awful. I mean a lot of BMW owners accept they are going to be shelling out for ownership costs but then you expect a degree of service for that price that is better than most other places.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 04:48 AM   #29
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofer View Post
Lay a 5p on the disc against the lip. If the height of the lip is level, or higher than the 5p, its worn beyond limits.

I have a second inspection due, they will only be changing the oil/filters, as everthing else will be in remarkably new condition.

Should be a ratio of 3 to 1.
That's what I thought. It doesn't seem right that someone would need new discs on the first pad replacement unless:

1. Brakes have overheated - either from riding the brakes or extended track use.

2. There is a fault with the brake disc.

The brake pad wear is quite impressive on the e90, but that's not so good if expensive discs end up wearing out as quickly as the cheaper pads.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #30
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Crap View Post
Carlos,

If you are doing approx 40k a year in the car would you agree its not going to be worth much anyway when you come to sell it. It'll be a three year old car with well over 100k on the clock which will devalue it considerably.

Most people buying a very high mileage car won't be too fussed if the additional service bits were carried out independently as long as you have proof of original BMW parts - so that could at least save you some cash

It seems strange to me that prestige car manufacturers let such complete idiots run their dealerships. I mean the cars sell themselves so you could theoretically have a monkey in the sales team. The service side is usually awful. I mean a lot of BMW owners accept they are going to be shelling out for ownership costs but then you expect a degree of service for that price that is better than most other places.
No way mate, the mileage by the time she is 3 years old willhave levelled out and be only just over average. I aint doing stupid mileages anymore.

I also cant understand how BMW dealers are run by muppets.. seems crazy to me
      04-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #31
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

You're nearly at average now, which is 12-15k per year - Are you walking everywhere for the next two years?? I get only my servicing done at the dealer, for the stamp, everything else is done in house which genuine parts(that is of course if I keep a car long enough!!!).

Ref pads and discs @ 40k, that is common - As someone already said no asbestos in pads anymore, and are harder as a result, they therefore last longer now, and the discs dont.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #32
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

The 5p test is a good one, but the precise answer will be on the BMW TIS DVD. Mine is a 2004 copy so doesn't have the answer for E9x cars, but for example for a E46 330d it says the front discs need replacing when the thickness of the disc is 23.4mm. This needs to be measured excluding the lip mentioned above (which will likely be almost the same thickness as a "new disc" as it doesn't wear on the pad) - hence a small lip is acceptable as long as the majority of the disc is still thick enough. The disc should not be unduly scored or uneven, but if it isn't and its thick enough then no need to change it. If you can't get hold of TIS just ask the BMW dealer what the change thickness is.

Bear in mind however that if it is near the thickness limit, the dealer may opt to recommend changing the disc as it will perhaps be under tolerance during the life of the new set of pads - and everytime you change a disc you need new pads, so not changing could be a false economy. I read somewhere that M5s have pads and discs changed at the same time because of this (i.e. disc life is less than 2x pad life - a bit silly in design terms if you ask me though).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 01:07 PM   #33
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliH View Post
You're nearly at average now, which is 12-15k per year - Are you walking everywhere for the next two years?? I get only my servicing done at the dealer, for the stamp, everything else is done in house which genuine parts(that is of course if I keep a car long enough!!!).

Ref pads and discs @ 40k, that is common - As someone already said no asbestos in pads anymore, and are harder as a result, they therefore last longer now, and the discs dont.
Yeah but i wont do more than 5-6k this year i dont rekon.

either way when our cars are three years old, with average, or just over, or just under average mileage spec will come into it. On top of that its only the major low miles that will hold a premium.

I dont really care cuz i aint taken no ''hit'' on it anyhow

Carlos
      04-05-2008, 02:56 PM   #34
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Yeah but i wont do more than 5-6k this year i dont rekon.

either way when our cars are three years old, with average, or just over, or just under average mileage spec will come into it. On top of that its only the major low miles that will hold a premium.

I dont really care cuz i aint taken no ''hit'' on it anyhow

Carlos

You will never keep the milage down to 5 or 6k a year as you enjoy driving to much. That means you will go from 100 mile a day habbit to 100 miles per week and it ain't gona happen.

To be honest if you do say 12k per year you will have a 60k 3 yr old car and the trade diffence between that and a 50k car will be about £1,000 probably so you might as well go and enjoy your miles.
      04-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #35
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliH View Post
I suppose that 40k from a set of front brake pads is pretty remarkable.

Just doesn't seem right that the pads and the discs should have a similar design life.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 07:12 PM   #36
roofer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D M Saloon

My rear pads lasted 17k, first car i've ever had that on, poxy DTC doing that

Fronts are nearly done at 31k, discs are fine. Pads are starting to feel 'grabby' i'll change them Monday. Light not tripped yet though.
Appreciate 0