E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N54 Belt Replacement - need to remove intake piping?

03-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
daMau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

N54 Belt Replacement - need to remove intake piping?

Went to change my belt, tensioner and idler pulleys last night thinking it would be a quick job based on an N52 write up I found. Unfortunately it appears the intake piping completely blocks most of the space, and I was only able to replace the tensioner, not the belt or pulleys, without removing it in the time I had.

Anyone have experience with this? Does the intake piping really need to be removed or are there some tips for working around it? If it does need to be removed, any DIYs?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
kfrazie1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Do you have the stock air box on? I have DCI and I just removed the front cone and unclipped some of the piping to push it out of the way. You have to remove the fan as well.
      03-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
daMau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrazie1 View Post
Do you have the stock air box on? I have DCI and I just removed the front cone and unclipped some of the piping to push it out of the way. You have to remove the fan as well.
By removing the fan, the inlet piping is flexible enough to move out of the way? Sounds like removing the fan is the key then, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
kfrazie1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

If your auto make sure to disconnect the transmission cooler from under the car. It is secured to the fan so you won't be able to remove the fan unless you unbolt the cooler.