E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > H&R rear shocks wont compress **help**

05-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

H&R rear shocks wont compress **help**

im trying to get my blown shocks off my rear, i have h&r coilovers and just got new shocks in, i unbolted the top and bottom nut but the shock wont compress. i really tried, had my brother try (6'3 230lbs lol) barely moved. is there any trick or anything? its much stronger than any shock ive tried to compress, they do compress when i put my shock under there just cant hold it long enough to move it..

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Alpineweiss e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 330xi

You need to drop the subframe a couple inches to slip the spring in. You don't need to compress it.

Have the car on stands and support the subframe with a jack and lossen the bolts that secure the subframe. Don't back the bolts all the way out. A few turns should allow you to slip the springs in.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpineweiss e90
You need to drop the subframe a couple inches to slip the spring in. You don't need to compress it.

Have the car on stands and support the subframe with a jack and lossen the bolts that secure the subframe. Don't back the bolts all the way out. A few turns should allow you to slip the springs in.
The spring is in already, just changing out the shock but it won't compress.. DidNt want to drop anything bc last time I did shocks on a e90 it came out with ease

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92ben View Post
The spring is in already, just changing out the shock but it won't compress.. DidNt want to drop anything bc last time I did shocks on a e90 it came out with ease
The correct way to do this is to unbolt the control arm. However, if you don't want to do that, there's an alternative. Unbolt the shock at the top and bottom. Then, you can use a floor jack to compress the shock... put it under the control arm (pad it with a hockey puck) and jack it up. Do this very carefully. Once the shock is compressed, hold it there and get your assistant to lower the jack. Then, quickly take the shock out.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 02:53 AM   #5
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

As stated above the best/easiest way is to unbolt both ends of the shock. Floor jack up the control arm and then keep the shock from rebounding while you drop the floor jack.
Appreciate 0