E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?

04-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #1893
stevo8
Rep
Drives:

I just picked up a 06 325i with 29k on it and just noticed this morning that it is ticking some on cold start. The car is not under warranty anymore. Will it still be covered?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #1894
DL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8 View Post
I just picked up a 06 325i with 29k on it and just noticed this morning that it is ticking some on cold start. The car is not under warranty anymore. Will it still be covered?
Unfortunately there is no extended warranty on this problem.

I recall another member pushed enough right buttons so to speak with the dealer, and BMW USA after the warranty expired. He did get it done, and paid for by BMW USA in the end.
      04-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #1895
distortionist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Well I got my car back yesterday, it sounds better when starting, and it does seem smoother.. maybe its the crappy rental car that they gave me, anything would be smoother after it! I did hear the ticking when I started it picking it up, I went back in and told the SA and he said it would do that and it needs to be driven a bit. It makes sense to me but that sound was too familiar.

It has not done it since, but it didn't sit for more than a few hours either... but I would imagine all the oil is everywhere and it settled in from it not happening yesterday correct ? so when I go to use my car today ( or any day if not today ) if it happens I would say it drained too much oil and that is why its doing it. Is this correct ?

I am going to video tape each time it happens.

When it happens, is there anything I can do to minimize the damage ? Reving the engine cold to get oil to an oil starved top seems to be a double edged sword. Should I let it idle till its gone ? Should I just drive ?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #1896
DL
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by distortionist View Post
Well I got my car back yesterday, it sounds better when starting, and it does seem smoother.. maybe its the crappy rental car that they gave me, anything would be smoother after it! I did hear the ticking when I started it picking it up, I went back in and told the SA and he said it would do that and it needs to be driven a bit. It makes sense to me but that sound was too familiar.

It has not done it since, but it didn't sit for more than a few hours either... but I would imagine all the oil is everywhere and it settled in from it not happening yesterday correct ? so when I go to use my car today ( or any day if not today ) if it happens I would say it drained too much oil and that is why its doing it. Is this correct ?I am going to video tape each time it happens.

When it happens, is there anything I can do to minimize the damage ? Reving the engine cold to get oil to an oil starved top seems to be a double edged sword. Should I let it idle till its gone ? Should I just drive ?

Thanks.
Exact on why it comes back.

I took a current newspaper each day I drove after the lifters were replaced and recorded it each time they ticked. I burned the vids to a data disk and gave it to my SA. I had eight vids when I gave him the disk.

Double edged sword is the truth....
      04-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #1897
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8 View Post
Ok if ur car has 29k miles as u say, then u should have a factory warranty till 50k. All bmw has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL View Post
Unfortunately there is no extended warranty on this problem.
What do u mean? Cuz i have an extended warranty on mine with 56k miles, and i have an appointment next monday to do the first step, lifters replacement. They told me that everything will be cover it in the repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by distortionist View Post
Well I got my car back yesterday, it sounds better when starting, and it does seem smoother.. maybe its the crappy rental car that they gave me, anything would be smoother after it! Thanks.
I have an appointment next week to replace the lifters, and i will have a loaner waiting for. Which are the most common loaner for this situation. What crappy car they gave u?
      04-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #1898
DL
Captain
Rep

Yoandry,

I was stating that BMW did not extend the warranty on this issue specifically past the factory warranty or any extended warranty such as CPO, as BMW did with the HPFP. Once these two run out you are on your own. Allot of people will be buying these used with no warranty left, and will be stuck with lifter noise with their "new for them BMW's".

Please note that the BMW warranty has not only the miles at 50k, but the years come into play too. 4 years or 50k which ever comes first, the warranty runs out, unless there is an extended warranty. This looks like stevo8's problem, as his is a 2006 with no extended warranty, so he ran out of the 4 years given by BMW even though he is under in miles.

Sometimes allot gets lost in the typing....

Last edited by DL; 04-26-2011 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #1899
yoandry
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yoandry,

I was stating that BMW did not extend the warranty on this issue specifically past the factory warranty or any extended warranty such as CPO, as BMW did with the HPFP. Once these two run out you are on your own. Allot of people will be buying these used with no warranty left, and will be stuck with a lifter problem with their "new for them BMW's".
Oh! ok got u. For the moment i thought my ext warraty wont cover that.

Quote:
Please note that the BMW warranty has not only the miles at 50k, but the years come into play too. 4 years or 50k which ever comes first, the warranty runs out, unless there is an extended warranty. This looks like stevo8's problem, as his is a 2006 with no extended warranty, so he ran out of the 4 years given by BMW even though he is under in miles.

Sometimes allot gets lost in the typing....
Yes i forgot the years, sorry my bad
      04-27-2011, 03:12 AM   #1900
asus389
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
My head was replaced following the lifters. The issue seems to be solved now and the engine runs and idles much smoother. I actually think it got worse when they replaced the lifters. Anyways, does my car go through another break in period now because of the new head? i.e. should I do an oil change in like 3000?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #1901
distortionist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

I am not an expert but I think I have read that you do not need a break-in period, nor do you need to change the oil. I would be nice to the car for a couple of hundred clicks, I am being nice to it with the new lifters.

After the lifters my car sounds better as it starts, idle seems rougher cold, but nice and smooth in a minute or so. I heard the ticking today for a bit just after starting but it went away when I started thinking of recording it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #1902
mgm3532
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i bmw

Unhappy ticking noise

hi,
I'm also having a ticking noise but its coming from the left front side. dealer said it was the lifters and they were replaced. i can still hear it, now im told its the injectors and its normal. is it really? The car is still under warranty. I feel they should replace them. getting the run around and don't know what to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #1903
Frank ZZR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Sedan SG/Terra

My 328 has ticking after sitting for a couple of weeks. Yesterday I spoke to Gallery BMW about this issue. The SA told me that this is perfectly normal of hydraulic lifters. "They all do it" What a f$%^@#% joke!!! He then agreed to have a tech look at it at my next service. Not sure what he'll find unless he comes to my house after the car sits for a whlile. At least I'll have some documentation for the anticipated battle in the future.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #1904
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank ZZR View Post
My 328 has ticking after sitting for a couple of weeks. Yesterday I spoke to Gallery BMW about this issue. The SA told me that this is perfectly normal of hydraulic lifters. "They all do it" What a f$%^@#% joke!!! He then agreed to have a tech look at it at my next service. Not sure what he'll find unless he comes to my house after the car sits for a whlile. At least I'll have some documentation for the anticipated battle in the future.
Yeah that's what a lot of shady dealers are trying to pull because they know the fix is so damn expensive. They figure most people don't know shit about cars so they will just take their word for it. But no this is NOT normal by any means. Fight tooth and nail to get your car fixed. I think this thread had a pdf from BMW stating the exact issue and how to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #1905
DL
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank ZZR View Post

This is the copy of the pdf TSB on the problem for your fight as Delta stated. Link here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1057

Or copy and paste between the ( ) and google it for a link to the original from BMW.

( SI B 11 09 07 September 2009 )

Take videos for documentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Yeah that's what a lot of shady dealers are trying to pull because they know the fix is so damn expensive. They figure most people don't know shit about cars so they will just take their word for it. But no this is NOT normal by any means. Fight tooth and nail to get your car fixed. I think this thread had a pdf from BMW stating the exact issue and how to fix it.

Last edited by DL; 04-28-2011 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #1906
yoandry
Colonel
Rep

Dl, i know u did the head replacement. The noise comes back as some people say. I have maxcare warranty from carmax, and i dont know if they will deal with all process, lifter first and head then. I will drop the car next week to a bmw dealer to do the job, and they will pass the bill to carmax warranty.
Other thing, i have some aftermarket stuff on the car, nothing in engine just some lights like blackline, sidemarker,and plate led light. Bmw dealer will inform to my warranty that i have this, and in a future if some electrical fails, they maybe avoid the electrical repair or warranty. I should put back my stock lights before drop it at dealer. Thanks
      04-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #1907
DL
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
Dl, i know u did the head replacement. The noise comes back as some people say. I have maxcare warranty from carmax, and i dont know if they will deal with all process, lifter first and head then. I will drop the car next week to a bmw dealer to do the job, and they will pass the bill to carmax warranty.
Other thing, i have some aftermarket stuff on the car, nothing in engine just some lights like blackline, sidemarker,and plate led light. Bmw dealer will inform to my warranty that i have this, and in a future if some electrical fails, they maybe avoid the electrical repair or warranty. I should put back my stock lights before drop it at dealer. Thanks
I would think that the lifters would be no issue as there is a TSB on it. The head you would have to look into. All in my opinion....

There is a thread on mods and warranty that much better answers anything that I could say. Allot of information below.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66970
      04-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #1908
Frank ZZR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Sedan SG/Terra

Quote:
This is the copy of the pdf TSB on the problem for your fight as Delta stated. Link here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1057

Or copy and paste between the ( ) and google it for a link to the original from BMW.

( SI B 11 09 07 September 2009 )

Take videos for documentation.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #1909
yoandry
Colonel
Rep

Im so confuse now. I thinking keep the car untill warranty expire at 100k/6 years current 56k. Im planing upgrade to use 335i with warranty too. So i should fix my ticking noise, and oil leak that i have too or i should deal with. The car runs perfect, i dont notice anything wrong with the performance. Some advance guys, i have already the appointment with the dealer next monday for the job.
      04-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #1910
DL
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
Im so confuse now. I thinking keep the car untill warranty expire at 100k/6 years current 56k. Im planing upgrade to use 335i with warranty too. So i should fix my ticking noise, and oil leak that i have too or i should deal with. The car runs perfect, i dont notice anything wrong with the performance. Some advance guys, i have already the appointment with the dealer next monday for the job.
yoandry,

You stated to the dealership, there is an issue with the lifters, so I would at least let them work on it with the lifters. If you never said a word to BMW then there is no documentation. BMW I would guess would have loved if you said nothing. I would venture a guess that if you do not maintain your car via BMW specifications it may cause warranty issues going forward as there is a TSB on this problem. Remember you told BMW you have a problem, so it is logged in on this car. You may have good or bad results getting this done, it is your car for some time and who knows what else BMW can choose not to fix based on the issue not getting taken care of…..BMW says the new lifters are a fix, so you are holding up your end of the warranty deal......

I own and not lease, so I choose to keep my N52 running perfect. I plan to keep my girl for many years. My third BMW since 1998.

That is all I can say, as the choice is up to you.

All IMHO. Any other thoughts from others??

Good luck going foreword.

Last edited by DL; 04-29-2011 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #1911
yoandry
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
yoandry,

You stated to the dealership, there is an issue with the lifters, so I would at least let them work on it with the lifters. If you never said a word to BMW then there is no documentation. BMW I would guess would have loved if you said nothing. I would venture a guess that if you do not maintain your car via BMW specifications it may cause warranty issues going forward as there is a TSB on this problem. Remember you told BMW you have a problem, so it is logged in on this car. You may have good or bad results getting this done, it is your car for some time and who knows what else BMW can choose not to fix based on the issue not getting taken care of…..BMW says the new lifters are a fix, so you are holding up your end of the warranty deal......

I own and not lease, so I choose to keep my N52 running perfect. I plan to keep my girl for many years. My third BMW since 1998.

That is all I can say, as the choice is up to you.

All IMHO. Any other thoughts from others??

Good luck going foreword.
Thanks bro. Im going to do the process. I willl update when my car get done.
      05-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #1912
VIZSLA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, 2012 328Xi Wa

Yesterday I took my 07 328c in for what will be its last service appointment under warranty. In addition to a few other niggles I made my usual comment about noisy tappets. I do this not expecting any action being taken but to establish a record in case of post-warranty failure. About a year ago they replaced the tappets which proved to be a temporary cure.
To my surprise My service advisor called this PM to say that the car won't be ready today as they've decided to replace the Cyl. head. I don't know why they chose to do it now other than because the warranty window was closing.
I do hope this solves the noise issue.
Good luck to all those still pursuing tis remedy with no satisfaction. There is hope and precedent.

BTW Does anyone else have an issue with how this thread lists new posts?
Every time I get a subscriber's message of an update it opens on a page from last August not the current post.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #1913
yoandry
Colonel
Rep

Wow, i ll get back my car tomorrow. When i left the car at dealer, it had 500 miles left for oil changed. They have to drain out the oil for work on the lifter or not.
      05-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #1914
alarroyo
Private
Rep
Drives: 1988 E30 M3

BLUF

The bottom line is that no customer should pay for engineering flaws by the manufacturer. I was the one that got the cylinder head replaced out of warranty as a goodwill gesture from BMW NA. My car is a 2006 330i and had a little over 23K miles when cylinder head got replaced in early Jan 2011. Now almost 2k miles and 4 months later the noise has not come back and the car purrs like a cat.
Appreciate 0