E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > ***Newbie Needs Advice***

02-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
BfromSD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

***Newbie Needs Advice***

So, I just got my 1st BMW a few weeks ago. 2011 328i, N51 motor. I'm looking into some performance mods but since my car is CPO I don't want to void the warranty. I'm think I'm gonna go BMW Performance with the PE and PI cause I don't want to wait 2 years/50,000 miles until my warranty is up to get an intake & exhaust from aFe or AA or whoever. I also want a tune but have some concerns. Is the AA tune detectable by dealerships? If so, is there a quality tune out there that's undetectable? I'm assuming I could re-flash it to stock before I took it to the dealer if I had the AA tune, but that would be a hassle (for me anyway). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #2
MORTON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' N54 6SPD E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BfromSD View Post
So, I just got my 1st BMW a few weeks ago. 2011 328i, N51 motor. I'm looking into some performance mods but since my car is CPO I don't want to void the warranty. I'm think I'm gonna go BMW Performance with the PE and PI cause I don't want to wait 2 years/50,000 miles until my warranty is up to get an intake & exhaust from aFe or AA or whoever. I also want a tune but have some concerns. Is the AA tune detectable by dealerships? If so, is there a quality tune out there that's undetectable? I'm assuming I could re-flash it to stock before I took it to the dealer if I had the AA tune, but that would be a hassle (for me anyway). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help!
I don't blame you for wanting to upgrade man it's tough waiting on a warranty to expire, however, warranties are a good thing with these cars lol so you're right you def don't want to void anything. Congrats on the car BTW man! You can bypass the void deal by removing some things before you take it in for scheduled maintenance. It's a pain but hey you gotta do it for some things.

On the other hand there are a few things you can get away with. Hopefully others with experience in this will also chime for ya. I know one of the things you can get away with and is a simple DIY and a major upgrade from stock is a charge pipe.

There's a ton out there and almost anything is an upgrade from the stock one.

I got mine from these guys.

http://www.x-ph.com/2011-335i-xi-e-chassis-only/

Mike@x-ph.com is awesome in my experience and its relatively cheap mod too.

Eventually you'll find you that you will need to replace your stock one modding or not because the stock one is such a piece of crap.. It's atleast a good place to start and can be considered preventive maintenance as well as a mod at the same time lol. Anyways happy modding man we are all here to help you the best we can!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=335+vs+m3

Last edited by MORTON; 02-05-2015 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #3
SAADTHESAV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 SMB F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORTON View Post
I don't blame you for wanting to upgrade man it's tough waiting on a warranty to expire, however, warranties are a good thing with these cars lol so you're right you def don't want to void anything. Congrats on the car BTW man! You can bypass the void deal by removing some things before you take it in for scheduled maintenance. It's a pain but hey you gotta do it for some things.

On the other hand there are a few things you can get away with. Hopefully others with experience in this will also chime for ya. I know one of the things you can get away with and is a simple DIY and a major upgrade from stock is a charge pipe.

There's a ton out there and almost anything is an upgrade from the stock one.

I got mine from these guys.

http://www.x-ph.com/2011-335i-xi-e-chassis-only/

Mike@x-ph.com is awesome in my experience and its relatively cheap mod too.

Yeah you don't want to void anything so I suggest you wait. But contact that Mike guy the 2nd guy talked about. He sells things for way cheaper than the original price. He'll answer any question too!
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2015, 09:11 PM   #4
MORTON
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAADTHESAV View Post
Yeah you don't want to void anything so I suggest you wait. But contact that Mike guy the 2nd guy talked about. He sells things for way cheaper than the original price. He'll answer any question too!
+1

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #5
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Lol... Funny...

Charge pipe? Really? Ok... Well I'm off to bed
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 09:46 PM   #6
E46driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 N51 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by valter View Post
Lol... Funny...

LOL.

Well first of all, that charge pipe isn't going to be compatible with your or any n51 for that matter. I understand you don't wanna void your warranty and thats fine most if not all people dont want to. The performance exhaust is a popular choice of exhaust for many 325/328/330 owners and for good reason. Although the PI looks sexy in the engine bay and sounds very good when paired with the PE, most people can't justify spending $700 for it because from a performance standpoint it pretty much does nothing. Instead, most people opt for the airbox that comes from the factory on european 325/328/330 for it cost a little under 500$ from ECStuning.com. If you want software and you don't want to void your warranty you have no choice but to either get a tune that will come with a tool to flash your car back to stock.(AA,ESS).
2009 Alpine White E92 N51 328i Automagic | Premium & Sport Pkg. | Coral Red/Black Dakota Leather Interior | M-Spor | BMW Performance Exhaust | Active Autowerke Headers | BBS CH-R | CPS Front Lip | Performance Front Grills | 888Concepts Custom Headlights (GONE)

2011 Alpine White E90 N55 335i Automagic
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #7
BfromSD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valter View Post
Lol... Funny...

LOL! Yeah, I was scratching my head when I read that. He probably didn't notice the "N51 motor" or the "328i" parts of my post. I appreciate him trying to help though.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 10:08 PM   #8
MORTON
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL! Yeah, I was scratching my head when I read that. He probably didn't notice the "N51 motor" or the "328i" parts of my post. I appreciate him trying to help though.
Totally did not notice my bad haha I dont think the other guy did either haha as others here have stated there's still tons you can do there's also exhausts out there that won't void to my knowledge

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 10:09 PM   #9
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep
Drives: 328i / R32 / 1.8T

I was tripping out on the charge pipe as well...

I was like I wish my n51 had turbos
      02-05-2015, 10:14 PM   #10
BfromSD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46driver View Post
LOL.

Well first of all, that charge pipe isn't going to be compatible with your or any n51 for that matter. I understand you don't wanna void your warranty and thats fine most if not all people dont want to. The performance exhaust is a popular choice of exhaust for many 325/328/330 owners and for good reason. Although the PI looks sexy in the engine bay and sounds very good when paired with the PE, most people can't justify spending $700 for it because from a performance standpoint it pretty much does nothing. Instead, most people opt for the airbox that comes from the factory on european 325/328/330 for it cost a little under 500$ from ECStuning.com. If you want software and you don't want to void your warranty you have no choice but to either get a tune that will come with a tool to flash your car back to stock.(AA,ESS).

Thanks for the insight, I seriously considered the Eurobox but my uncle works at a BMW dealership here in California and says he can get me huge employee discounts on BMW Performance parts so I can probably get the PI for $500 or less and the PE for well under $1000. I'm really more concerned with the tune and any other mods besides intake and exhaust that I can do that won't void the warranty. I read Burger has an "undetectable" tune but from everything I've read the AA tune seems to be the #1 tune out there for the E90 328, hence my desire to have it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 10:15 PM   #11
MORTON
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46driver View Post
LOL.

Lol I did t notice so used to 335 guys and my friends I overlooked it clearly that would do him no good just trying to help though lol it's funny cause I looked right at his user. Name to double check his yr and model I must be tired

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 10:16 PM   #12
MORTON
Major
United_States
Rep

Holy moley I'm tired!

Last edited by MORTON; 02-06-2015 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 10:28 PM   #13
E46driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 N51 328i

I am not an expert at this by any means but the option burger has for our cars is the BMS powerbox and isn't a true tune. Its a piggyback system. The powerbox is a little box that is wired into your ecu and what it does is trick the ecu into thinking that your throttle inputs are more than how much you want which would make the car FEEL faster but in reality, the car does not make any more power than it already does. How they advertise it as undetectable is either 1. Everytime you go to the dealer, you have to remove the powerbox from your ecu before taking it in or 2. You can change the map to the stock map before taking it in(not really sure if it can do this but if its anything like the jb4, it should). The AA tune and all other real tunes actually rewrite/remap the ecu to optimize its output. Now I dont have any experience with dealing with flashing and reflashing in between dealer visits but it shouldn't take any longer than 20 minutes. If you check out this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=916863 it'll show you that the powerbox is garbage in terms of using it on top of other modifications.
2009 Alpine White E92 N51 328i Automagic | Premium & Sport Pkg. | Coral Red/Black Dakota Leather Interior | M-Spor | BMW Performance Exhaust | Active Autowerke Headers | BBS CH-R | CPS Front Lip | Performance Front Grills | 888Concepts Custom Headlights (GONE)

2011 Alpine White E90 N55 335i Automagic
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 05:10 AM   #14
MORTON
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was looking around and found this also it wouldn't mess with your CPO. while they don't add a tremendous amount of "power" they are relatively cheap and you don't have to change/clean the filter every 10k

http://www.x-ph.com/328/

I got this for my Honda when I was in that scene. helped with gas mileage a tad.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #15
BfromSD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORTON View Post
I was looking around and found this also it wouldn't mess with your CPO. while they don't add a tremendous amount of "power" they are relatively cheap and you don't have to change/clean the filter every 10k

http://www.x-ph.com/328/

I got this for my Honda when I was in that scene. helped with gas mileage a tad.
The link sent me to some different intakes and filters. I'm going with the BMW PI because I have an uncle that works at a BMW dealership and can get me discounts. Are you sure a non BMW intake wouldn't void the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #16
MORTON
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The link sent me to some different intakes and filters. I'm going with the BMW PI because I have an uncle that works at a BMW dealership and can get me discounts. Are you sure a non BMW intake wouldn't void the warranty?
Hey man go with your uncle if he can cut you a family deal. It wouldn't void warranty at all man. theres plenty of threads on that topic. Wish I had an uncle who worked at bmw lol

Appreciate 0