E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Got Inlets?? inlets noises

06-16-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Got Inlets?? inlets noises

So i feed dumb asking this questions but better safe then sorry.

I just installed dp's plus aluminum inlets

beside being a gigantic pain in the ass i have some questions issues for anyone that has passenger side inlets.

Questions:

The pipe is an extremely tight fit. It's so tight that i wonder if i ran the pipe incorrectly.

1) The pcv line is angled and although it doesn't kink close there a slight kink but still lets air go thru. Anyones line straight up?

2) i got the revised brackets but as they are they still made my reservoir sit slightly too high which put dimples in my hood a bit but enough for me to notice. Did you guys still bent your brackets?

3) does your coolant level sensor hit your fender lining preventing it to sit flush.

4) vrsf noises. so i also did install a tft chargepipe plus tial WG i still have to adjust the spring, but how loud are the noises of your inlets sucking air? i feel like i have a leak. but checked both elbows and are still on %100

5) while trying to massage some heat shields i managed to break the top of my boost solenoid. it's the line that vents to the atmosphere with a tiny filter. i don't think it makes a difference but the car boosts to 18psi it just feels sluggish.

Any input is appreciated it.

Last edited by Supra2k6; 06-26-2016 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
Mixmaster
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 N54 / 2014 i3 REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra2k6 View Post

beside being a gigantic pain in the ass i have some questions issues for anyone that has passenger side inlets.

Questions:

The pipe is an extremely tight fit. It's so tight that i wonder if i ran the pipe incorrectly.

1) The pcv line is angled and although it doesn't kink close there a slight kink but still lets air go thru. Anyones line straight up?

2) i got the revised brackets but as they are they still made my reservoir sit slightly too high which dented my hood a bit but enough for me to notice. Did you guys still bent your brackets?

3) does your coolant level sensor hit your fender lining preventing it to sit flush.

4) vrsf noises. so i also did install a tft chargepipe plus tial WG i still have to adjust the spring, but how loud are the noises of your inlets sucking air? i feel like i have a leak. but checked both elbows and are still on %100

5) while trying to massage some heat shields i managed to break the top of my boost solenoid. it's the line that vents to the atmosphere with a tiny filter. i don't think it makes a difference but the car boosts to 18psi it just feels sluggish.

After installing my silicon inlets there was a big increase in spool noise, I also thought maybe leak. But I don't think there is any pressure in the inlets unlike boost hoses etc
      06-16-2016, 06:31 PM   #3
dreyo27
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Quote:

Questions:

2) i got the revised brackets but as they are they still made my reservoir sit slightly too high which dented my hood a bit but enough for me to notice. Did you guys still bent your brackets?

I have MMP inlets so,
1) on mmp inlets I added the vacuum source on the rear inlet coupler so mine is strait.
2)I even tried making my own brackets and couldn't make it (e92) so i ended up getting an expansion tank from a 745li. its wider but shallower so works perfectly.
3) coolant sensor sits perfectly in the 745li expansion tank.
4)Yes with inlets induction noises are louder.
5) post a pic because that could be why your car feels sluggish
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #4
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:

Questions:

Yes the installation is a pia, and yes they are loud. You can definitely hear the air being sucked in when the turbos spool up.

The coolant tank sits fine on my car, but I rotated my coolant sensor connector 180 degrees so it does not hit the fender. This also let the tank sit a little lower and looks good. This should be part of the procedure.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
dreyo27
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonecure View Post
Yes the installation is a pia, and yes they are loud. You can definitely hear the air being sucked in when the turbos spool up.

The coolant tank sits fine on my car, but I rotated my coolant sensor connector 180 degrees so it does not hit the fender. This also let the tank sit a little lower and looks good. This should be part of the procedure.
That doesnt work on e92s. I tried rotating mine as well. the limiting factor was the the bottom coolant hose coming out of the expansion tank. it hits the frame rail.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #6
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah i was not able to rotate mine either and either way i was going to get a 335d tank because i wanted a clean install so fitting that tomorrow.

Heres a pic of my broken solenoid looks like its just a filter no air comes in or out.

Car boost 18psi makes lots of sucking noises no codes pop up. Just feels slow.

While doing the tank tom ill drill out the small nipple and make the line to the bov bigger plus cutting my spring as the bov doesnt open at tap of the throttle

Any other suggestions lmk thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #7
MM Performance
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Cp TiAg 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra2k6
Yeah i was not able to rotate mine either and either way i was going to get a 335d tank because i wanted a clean install so fitting that tomorrow.

Heres a pic of my broken solenoid looks like its just a filter no air comes in or out.

Car boost 18psi makes lots of sucking noises no codes pop up. Just feels slow.

While doing the tank tom ill drill out the small nipple and make the line to the bov bigger plus cutting my spring as the bov doesnt open at tap of the throttle

Any other suggestions lmk thanks
FYI 335D tank ONLY fits TFT charge pipe that was designed to fit with it, all others it won't fit.
Appreciate 2
      06-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #8
dreyo27
First Lieutenant
Rep

I tried the 335D tank. it did not fit with my VRSF chargepipe
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #9
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Very tight fit, but works for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 12:31 PM   #10
Physics
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonecure
Coolant leak.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #11
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I travel a lot, so the engine bay is a mess. I have not got a chance (or desire) to clean it yet from this winter.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 08:22 AM   #12
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Performance View Post
FYI 335D tank ONLY fits TFT charge pipe that was designed to fit with it, all others it won't fit.
thanks and yes i do have the tft charge pipe.

So update:

after doing the tial vacuum source upgrade and redoing all the piping car finally sounds great. However i can't help that it feels sluggish as hell maybe my butt dyno is all wrong. i'm on 91 oct stage 2 using 93 pump as safety for now.

Anyways i took some logs anyone with expertise care to look?

3rd gear pull a/c off i believe

http://www.datazap.me/u/supra2k6/log...og=0&data=4-21

http://www.datazap.me/u/supra2k6/3rd...og=0&data=4-21

is my pump about to take a dump? i see it dip below 50 but i can't read charts like that
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #13
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonecure View Post
quick questions about your tial at idle is it open or closed?

i have two springs one make it close and the other keeps it open. no surge that i can hear but i'm going to try and cut 2 coils of the stiffer one to see if i can make it lighter since there is a slight hesitation before it spools up.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #14
SilverStreak18
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 SGM 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyo27 View Post
I have MMP inlets so,
1) on mmp inlets I added the vacuum source on the rear inlet coupler so mine is strait.
2)I even tried making my own brackets and couldn't make it (e92) so i ended up getting an expansion tank from a 745li. its wider but shallower so works perfectly.
3) coolant sensor sits perfectly in the 745li expansion tank.
4)Yes with inlets induction noises are louder.
5) post a pic because that could be why your car feels sluggish
Would you mind sharing a picture of your engine bay? Just so we can see how the 745li tank fits in there?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #15
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep

so if you do inlets i'd suggest you go the extra mile and get a 335d or 750li tank it just makes everything cleaner. I have yet to see a clean install with brackets.

Cleaned my map sensors with CRC maf cleaner and made a huge difference on my mpg. rerouted and tucket my harness (still need to work on the coolant hose). removed the vacuum tanks as well, But overall i'm happy with the install.
Attached Images

Last edited by Supra2k6; 06-26-2016 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #16
MM Performance
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Cp TiAg 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra2k6
so if you do inlets i'd suggest you go the extra mile and get a 335d or 750li tank it just makes everything cleaner. I have yet to see a clean install with brackets.

Cleaned my map sensors with CRC maf cleaner and made a huge difference on my mpg. rerouted and tucket my harness (still need to work on the coolant hose). removed the vacuum tanks as well, But overall i'm happy with the install.
Yeah but you have TFT chargepipe so that the 335d tank can fit, otherwise it won't
Appreciate 0