E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Happiness up to 75,000$

09-09-2010, 03:02 AM   #1
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Happiness up to 75,000$

Can money really make you happy? Not really, but up to about $75,000 a year can ease the pain of life's stresses, U.S. researchers reported on Tuesday.

A survey of 1,000 Americans shows they are overall fairly happy, and more money equals more satisfaction up to a point, Daniel Kahneman and Angus Deaton of the Center for Health and Wellbeing at Princeton University in New Jersey found.

"More money does not necessarily buy more happiness, but less money is associated with emotional pain," they wrote in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"Perhaps $75,000 is a threshold beyond which further increases in income no longer improve individuals' ability to do what matters most to their emotional well-being, such as spending time with people they like, avoiding pain and disease, and enjoying leisure."

The people surveyed answered an intensive telephone survey with 450 questions, including detailed queries about income, satisfaction, emotions and stress, called the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index.

"Low income exacerbates the emotional pain associated with such misfortunes as divorce, ill health, and being alone. We conclude that high income buys life satisfaction but not happiness," they added.

Feelings of well-being rose with income, but only up to about $75,000 a year, they found.

"As in other studies of well-being, we found that most people were quite happy and satisfied with their lives," Kahneman and Deaton added reassuringly. About 85 percent of those surveyed smiled, felt enjoyment or happiness each day, although 39 percent felt stress.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6873PB20100908

-------------------------

me thinks those people don't know where to shop
      09-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I always told people that "After $75k, it's just FU money"....

Glad there is finally some research to back up my claim.. haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
I always told people that "After $75k, it's just FU money"....

Glad there is finally some research to back up my claim.. haha.
Hardly, at least not in CA.

I make substantially more then $75k, so does my wife, and I still feel poor and frustrated! (No, I don't have a real estate horror story, I am one of the few with equity)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

There is truth to this.

After a certain point, lets say $75k you have basically the same stuff, you just have a nicer version and possibly a higher payment.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
There is truth to this.

After a certain point, lets say $75k you have basically the same stuff, you just have a nicer version and possibly a higher payment.
True - I think it depends on where your standards are set...for someone raised in $750-1mil plus house with nice cars, clothes, and good food, $75k annually probably won't go as far as they are used to, but for someone working their way up and without much "fortune" for lack of a better word 75k may be a sigh of relief.

Another important factor is location, location, location
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

where did they conduct the research...Montana? That ish don't fly in CA, Boston, Manhattan or any other place with a high cost of living...my research, you spend what you make...it's all relative.
      09-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hardly, at least not in CA.

I make substantially more then $75k, so does my wife, and I still feel poor and frustrated! (No, I don't have a real estate horror story, I am one of the few with equity)

Don't have to tell me, that's why I left LA. With the 9.5% state tax + the all other misc. expenses ($700 vehicle registration fees, for example) I'm so happy I'm outta there.

Not even counting real estate, it is just an ungodly expensive place to live...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Don't have to tell me, that's why I left LA. With the 9.5% state tax + the all other misc. expenses ($700 vehicle registration fees, for example) I'm so happy I'm outta there.

Not even counting real estate, it is just an ungodly expensive place to live...
For real.

W-2s are depressing, you look at those numbers...'I don't remember spending that much....thats right the tax man got it'
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

i think in much of the country, you can enjoy a very, very high std of living on 75k a year. texas is one example, upstate ny another that i have personal experience with.
      09-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
i think in much of the country, you can enjoy a very, very high std of living on 75k a year. texas is one example, upstate ny another that i have personal experience with.
'very,very high'? you must have some extremely low expectations...I grew up in lower middle class, and an income of 50k after taxes is certainly not very very high in anything that's even remotely a city.....
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
'very,very high'? you must have some extremely low expectations...I grew up in lower middle class, and an income of 50k after taxes is certainly not very very high in anything that's even remotely a city.....
i base that on primarily on housing prices where i grew up in houston:
-starter 3 bedrm, 2 bath homes for 50k
-large, 3000+ sq ft homes in subdivisions of primarily professional residents for 200k-400k

i would assume that someone on a 75k salary, with income apportioned correctly, should be able afford at least a 100k house and associated expenses.
      09-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #12
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
i base that on primarily on housing prices where i grew up in houston:
-starter 3 bedrm, 2 bath homes for 50k
-large, 3000+ sq ft homes in subdivisions of primarily professional residents for 200k-400k

i would assume that someone on a 75k salary, with income apportioned correctly, should be able afford at least a 100k house and associated expenses.
wow... i stand corrected, how far out of houston are you talking here? that's insanely cheap
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
Feyd
Major
Rep

+1 on affordable places.. scratch that, plain ass cheap places that exist near civilization.

The down payment on the house I just bought is more than the total mortgage of some of my friends places down in Southern Illinois. We aren't talking trailers either, decent SFHs.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
There is truth to this.

Last year I made about 100k in 6 and a half months. This wasn't consistent throughout the year, however I can completely agree... 100k is shit. Two more cylinders in your engine, an extra bedroom in your house, nicer restaurants and one more vacation = money gone. People always tell me, "If I made XXXX Per year I'd be rich!" But with that income you have to retain a certain level of respect and position.. I need to dress well, drive good cars and live in a good area to help retain my image which believe it or not is a large part of certain industries. I'm 25.
Appreciate 0