E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ► LSD's @ Performance Gearing

05-16-2010, 03:17 AM   #1
ZSP.3R
Montreal R-Spec
Germany
Rep
Drives: 'O6 330i Sport Package

Question ► LSD's @ Performance Gearing

I was browsing through the forum looking for LSD threads and stumbled upon a shop that sells them for all model BMW's... Couple of months back, people were talking about how they ONLY made these LSD's for 335 models. Well, not true and now considering the upgrade.

$2,500US to $3,000US upgrade; 3 year warranty + unlimited mileage!

Just curious to know what the "final drive limited slip #" means?

▀▄ 'O6 330i | 6MT | Sport Package | Black Sapphire Metallic | Aluminum Trim | Black Dakota Leather | H&R Sport Cupkit | AFE Intake | Matte Black (Dipped)162's - BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW | 18mm Rear Spacers | ECS CF/Aluminum Strut Bar | M3 Sways | Depo Blacklines |
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

The final drive is the last reduction gear that power is transferred through in the drivetrain before it gets sent out to the wheels (ie, the differential). The higher the gear ratio (number) is, the shorter the gear is, and the higher the engine will rev for a given speed.

For example, lets say you swapped the stock 330i 3.15 ratio diff for one with a 4.10 ratio (the shortest one on that list). In 6th gear at 65mph with the stock diff, you would be turning about 2500rpm. With the 4.10 ratio diff, the engine would be running at about 3200rpm.

Shorter gear ratios can improve acceleration and in effect put more power to the ground, but it also means the top speed in each gear will be reduced and MPG will suffer accordingly due to increased RPMs.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 04:43 AM   #3
ZSP.3R
Montreal R-Spec
Germany
Rep
Drives: 'O6 330i Sport Package

^^ Understood and approved! Thanks for answering!

▀▄ 'O6 330i | 6MT | Sport Package | Black Sapphire Metallic | Aluminum Trim | Black Dakota Leather | H&R Sport Cupkit | AFE Intake | Matte Black (Dipped)162's - BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW | 18mm Rear Spacers | ECS CF/Aluminum Strut Bar | M3 Sways | Depo Blacklines |
Appreciate 0