Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Hankook RS3 as a street tire?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Jdub679
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe M Sport

Hankook RS3 as a street tire?

Opinions wanted. My car is a weekend car. I live in Southern California so I don't have to deal with rain/snow. It will never see the track.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Cons : Stiff, loud, and mediocre wet traction.

Pros : Outstanding dry grip, handling and very fast steering response.

If you're a fast and aggressive driver, you'll like them. If you value ride comfort, quiet ride, and treadwear, look at a different tire.

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ires/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
Jdub679
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
Cons : Stiff, loud, and mediocre wet traction.

Pros : Outstanding dry grip, handling and very fast steering response.

If you're a fast and aggressive driver, you'll like them. If you value ride comfort, quiet ride, and treadwear, look at a different tire.

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ires/index.jsp
Thanks Gary. How do they compare with a Michelin PSS, particularly for comfort, noise, dry grip, handling and steering response? My priorities are comfort, noise, dry lateral grip, and straight-ahead dry grip (in no particular order).

It seems that the C&D tested them in a review and they're only 1 dB apart in terms of noise. Is that pretty accurate?

I keep hearing that because of the cost difference between these two tires, the performance improvement with the RS3 is worth it. What do you think?

Last edited by Jdub679; 01-23-2014 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
I think the RS3 is a bit much for a daily driver that never sees the track. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is one of the kings of the street tires right now, and that's probably what I'd recommend. The RS3 is a serious tire, and will probably outperform the Michelins in the dry. With the weather lately, you might enjoy driving more with the RS3s, but if it ever cools down more or starts raining, you may want other tires.
      01-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
Jdub679
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
I think the RS3 is a bit much for a daily driver that never sees the track. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is one of the kings of the street tires right now, and that's probably what I'd recommend. The RS3 is a serious tire, and will probably outperform the Michelins in the dry. With the weather lately, you might enjoy driving more with the RS3s, but if it ever cools down more or starts raining, you may want other tires.
Understood. But as a weekend driver + being in SoCal, I'm sure you know how much it actually rains here or goes below 50 degrees. Almost never. Aside from that, is there any reason not to recommend the RS3 for street use?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

The PSS would be smoother and quieter riding, but still has very snappy steering response and great dry grip. It would also wear better than the RS3, and if you happen to get caught in the rain you would be much happier on the PSS.

That being said, you CAN use the RS3 given the conditions you're describing, its just a matter of how much you're willing to give up to get that extra dry grip. What VMRWheels is alluding to is that it can be difficult to appreciate that bit of extra grip the RS3 will have over the PSS for a vehicle that is strictly street driven.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0