E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Is there a problem with my Brakes?

09-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
maajka
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Is there a problem with my Brakes?

I have a 2011 335i with about 14k miles on it, I had all the rotors and pads replaced about 3k miles ago under warranty, when they scanned my key it was calling for the rear breaks to be replaced but i went to the dealer complaining that my car was shaking during breaking and they replaced the front pads and rotors because the rotors where warped.

At the time all of my tires where pretty much do to be replaced so i was getting some road noise from the tires being bald in some places so i didnt notice any other noises. I have just installed 4 new michelin pss on the car with alignment at the dealer and the car feels alot better then the run flats but the problem i am having is that i am getting some thumping noises whenever i break on the highway, would that be another break issue or is it normal to have that noise when breaking at higher speeds. The car does not shake at like like it did with the rotors being warped but i do hear the thumping noise. My car is completely stock.

Last edited by maajka; 09-08-2012 at 05:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Bed in your brakes:
http://zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
      09-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
maajka
Enlisted Member
Rep

I tried bedding the brakes like the instructions say but still same noise....

would the bmw service technician take my car for a drive after a full brake job?

just wondering if maybe they do and he did not bed them properly
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Another possibility is a tire out of balance - just something to consider. I'm afraid I am out of ideas regarding the brakes!
      09-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
lacoa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: I8 + E36M3 + Granturismo MC

Rotate the tires and see if the noise changes at all. If so then tire related. There are really a lot of things it could be but this is one you can try fairly quickly at home to negate one possibility. Otherwise bring it to BMW and have a tech drive it. To answer your question about a test drive after the service: yes, the technician is responsible for test driving vehicles after most services. Is the thumping constant, not just one thump and gone? Does it change with speed as in faster thumping at higher speeds and slower at lower speeds? If these answers are yes then it is almost definitely either tire or brake related.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
maajka
Enlisted Member
Rep

it is harder to notice when driving slower you have to turn off radio and ac to notice but on the highway when exiting at like 60 mph you can definitely notice it alot, and it almost sounds like there is uneven wear on the pad or disc because it is a consistant thumping sound that is faster at harder breaking and kind of like a thump.........thump.......thump and lower speeds

i have a appointment at the deal tomorrow morning so i will have a talk with them and if the the service tech did test drive and try to bed them maybe he messed up the brakes
thanks for the response
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
lacoa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: I8 + E36M3 + Granturismo MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnantjasi View Post
it is harder to notice when driving slower you have to turn off radio and ac to notice but on the highway when exiting at like 60 mph you can definitely notice it alot, and it almost sounds like there is uneven wear on the pad or disc because it is a consistant thumping sound that is faster at harder breaking and kind of like a thump.........thump.......thump and lower speeds

i have a appointment at the deal tomorrow morning so i will have a talk with them and if the the service tech did test drive and try to bed them maybe he messed up the brakes
thanks for the response
Let us know what you find out. I have a feeling that when you raise the question of bedding the brakes they will tell you that they do no such thing. Again let us know!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
maajka
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well I took the car to the dealer wednesday morning and explained to them the noise i was hearing ( did not mention bedding breaks) ........got a call while I was at work around 3:30pm saying the car was done and ready for pick up, I pick the car up thursday morning and they tell me the mechanic took the car for a test drive and could not hear any break noise he also inspected all the breaks and said they were pretty much brand new (5000 miles on them) and said everything was good.

They did suggest I go for a drive with the mechanic so we could both identify the sound but he was not there thursday so we set up a appointment on wednesday of next week. But friday morning I get in the car and turn it on and what do I see Service light come on so check to see what it is and it calls for the front breaks to be serviced. I call the dealer right away and tell him and i also moved the appointment to monday.

So we will see what they find out now I got 5000 miles on breaks that they changed and service light is on
Appreciate 0