E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Leather Short Shift Knob/ OEM Knob Fitment

02-20-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
jdink
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT

Leather Short Shift Knob/ OEM Knob Fitment

So i bought a oem leather short shift knob and after using it for a week i am a little concerned about the fitment. it is on the stock shift lever and it seems to be able to twist a little bit.

I was thinking about this while sitting at my computer with a few parts next to me and decided to plunk the OEM shift knob on my short shift lever... and CLICK it is locked in and doesnt move AT ALL. Sadly, i don't think i i will ever be able to remove it because it is on so tight. Any suggestions or thoughts?

(i don't really know if i should be crying, mad or laughing right now)
      02-20-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
jdink
Major
United_States
Rep

haha ok, so i got the OEM knob off the short shift lever (put a screw driver in the lever hole, stepped on it and pulled.

note: if you find yourself in my same situation, make sure you don't hit yourself in the face when u pull the knob off... not that it happened to me or anything... really.
      02-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
jdink
Major
United_States
Rep

Ok... so i'll probably add this to your DIY thread later once I have pictures but I thought id just toss this into the thread since you guys probably clicked on this thread for a reason then realized it offers nothing of substance lol.

Basically, I bought the Leather Short Shift Knob and was disapointed from the start that the leather boot that came with it was for some reason about 3 inches taller than the boot that came with the stock (longer) knob. The Leather Short Shift Knob comes attached to the boot, but you can basically rip it off by doing the following:

1) Turn the boot inside out
2) Using a flat head screw driver, pry the metal clip up and pull down. This will effectively unattach half of the boot.
3) Again using the flat head screw driver, pry between the remaining plastic and the knob and pop off the plastic.

If you did this carefully you will end up with a seperate Knob and boot, but with 3 metal prongs sticking out of the knob. These metal prongs are pretty soft and i went ahead and bent off the small 2.

Finally, I just poped on the small (originial oem) shift boot which rests nicely on the top of the lever, and then put on the short shift knob. It fits great and i am very happy with it so far. there is a little space between the back of the knob but it is not very noticeable and doesnt effect anything. i'll probably use super glue or something later to glue the back end of the lever to the knob if i find it bugs me.

Picks to come tomorrow when I have a camera.

Feel free to post your TTIUWOP icons
      02-20-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
LOL oh man! u keep buying shit that you want to sell. you remind me of me when i was young
Appreciate 0