E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Custom license plate brackets - part II

05-04-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Custom license plate brackets - part II

For the past year, after I replaced the stock front bumper with the M-Tech one, I avoided drilling unsightly holes for the front license plate by using 3M double-sided mounting tape. This worked, but was a bit inconvenient to take off and reapply given the number of events I would pull the plate off for. The tape would lose its adhesiveness when removed, and is a difficult to peel off the plate. Worse yet was the prospect of reapplying the plate with debris on the tape after it had sat in my trunk for a few days. The straw that broke the camel's back was when it had stuck so well that when I once attempted to remove it quickly, it pulled on the bumper material, and distorted/deformed it enough to put a crease in the bumper.

Fed up with this, I purchased and installed a Skene Design plate mount, which I was entirely happy with:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=skene

As expected, some members suggested it would be better to buy some cheap metal and make those brackets themselves, because we're cheap like dat.

Long story short, since no one wanted to make good on that alternative, I continued work on the simple custom brackets, and am posting progress on this here.