E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > 3 Step Menzerna Correction - Pics and Details!

05-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
digital01
Search or ban.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

3 Step Menzerna Correction - Pics and Details!

So I took some time out of the day today to start my 3 step correction process on my JB 3. I didn't feel like taking all day, so I decided to finish up the rear end as it needed the most work. My process consisted of the following:

- SIP - SurBuf Pad - 1 to 2 passes, depending on area
- PO203 - Orange Pad - 1 pass
- PO85RD - Black Pad - 1 pass
- Sealed with BFWD / Will be waxing with CG XXX on top later on
- Buffer used was a PC w/ 5.5in pads / I used XMT Pad Conditioner prior to polish application.
- Car wash used was CG Citrus Wash and Gloss (2 bucket method w/ grit guards)
- Used P21S TAW mixture to strip sealant/wax

Prior to starting the correction process, I had to remove the existing layer of sealant and wax on the paint. I did this by a) using a mixture of P21S TAW and water in my foam gun and then, b) proceeding with a highly concentrated mixture of CG Citrus Wash/Gloss, again in the foam gun. After letting the P21S dwell, then rinsing, and following up with the CG Citrus, letting dwell again, I hand washed using 2 bucket method (w/ grit guards of course). No point in adding more swirls and scratches to a finish that is already riddled with them! After the strip/wash, I dab dried with a MF waffle weave towel. BTW, If you're curious on how I washed my wheels, I decided to just use CG Citrus/Gloss, as I've maintained them well enough to where I don't need to use wheel cleaners. Now that the washing is out of the way, onto the correction process...

Here is what kind of finish I'm working with...not pretty...not at all...

The SIP with the SurBuf pad was much needed as I had some deeper scratches in the trunk that were being very stubborn. I initially tried SIP with an orange pad, to no avail. The SIP/SurBuf combo removed about 90-95% of the scratches. I don't have a paint meter, so I didn't want to try more than 2 passes even though I'm pretty sure I would have been ok. Better safe than sorry. Of course, along with taking out the deeper scratches, the SIP/Surbuf left marring that needed to be further corrected.

The PO203 with the Orange pad did well in removing most of the marring that was created by the first correction step. However, even though the major imperfections were gone, the paint still lacked the crystal clear clarity that I was going for. On to jeweling...

By the 3rd and final correction stage, I was starting to have a lot of dust buildup from the SIP and PO203 (along with small synthetic hairs from the SurBuf pads. They were brand new. I vacuumed them prior to using, but they still shed like no other.) The dust was quite annoying, as I had to wipe down the surface that I was working on every few minutes. I also didn't bother to tape up my rear window, so I had dust and polish all over it too. Needless to say, I used a generous amount of alcohol on this project (no, not the drinking kind!). The PO85RD with the black pad worked well in getting the finish to the desired clarity. No more swirls!

After the correction, I proceeded with a generous coat of BFWD over the whole rear end to seal the deal. While I was doing this, I decided to seal my headlights and wheels as well. I really like BFWD, as its easy on easy off. No matter how thick of a coat you put on, it always comes off smoothly. No mess.

Here are two pics of the final product.

Let me know if you guys have any questions regarding the 3 step Menzerna process, and by all means if you have any input, I'm always open to constructive criticism
'06 325i Black // iDrive // Cold Weather Pkg // Terra Dakota Leather // Lux 5.1 AE LED // Comfort Access // Premium Pkg // Ray's Sebring 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 w/ 245.35.19 - Mich. PS2 & 275.30.19 - Conti. SportContact2 // Front Bumper Splitters // MSD Air Scoops
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

looks good
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
MKR_DmD
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 16 Jeep Cherokee

Black is such a nice color when it is polished and waxed. Looks really good.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 06:21 AM   #4
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

well done
      06-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Very rewarding to put all that money and hard work into your ride and achieve some very nice results!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
digital01
Search or ban.
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys. It's definitely rewarding to see the results after countless hours of detailing. I've learned a lot of new things from you guys, and I continue to learn something new every day here in the detailing forum.

A 3 step is definitely a pain in the ass, but think of it this way. You only have to do it once a year, if even that. This is taking into account that you've maintained in between with a sealant of your choice (wax, polymer sealant, etc).
'06 325i Black // iDrive // Cold Weather Pkg // Terra Dakota Leather // Lux 5.1 AE LED // Comfort Access // Premium Pkg // Ray's Sebring 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 w/ 245.35.19 - Mich. PS2 & 275.30.19 - Conti. SportContact2 // Front Bumper Splitters // MSD Air Scoops
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
Focus
Captain
Rep
Drives: N/A

Construcitive crit: So you did all this wonderful work .. just to take 2 after pictures !!! 2 !! R you serious !!

J/k lol .. no better feeling then putting in all that work and just sitting back and oogling , gj sir
      06-09-2011, 12:13 AM   #8
digital01
Search or ban.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
Construcitive crit: So you did all this wonderful work .. just to take 2 after pictures !!! 2 !! R you serious !!

J/k lol .. no better feeling then putting in all that work and just sitting back and oogling , gj sir
Haha, no you're right. I should have taken more pictures but I let my buddy borrow my digital cam for a project that he was working on. I was stuck with my crappy iphone I promise I'll have some good pics when I get my camera back in a few days. It still looks the same currently, just needs a wash!....and maybe another coat of BFWD.....and while im at it a coat of CG XXX.....lol. Don't judge me...addiction is a disease
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Nice work bringing a deeper shine back to that paint. Keep up the good work!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
digital01
Search or ban.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Nice work bringing a deeper shine back to that paint. Keep up the good work!
Its thanks to your reasonable prices that I can afford to upkeep my car as well as I do!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 JZB

I really like the work you did. I have some pretty bad swirls on my hood from a previous owner, so I too am going to have to start with an intense polish to get them out. I have a couple questions to help me undertstand this process as I'm quite new to it.

1. I've read over the literature for these polishes and it's really vague about how to use them. The adds for the Micro Finish polish say it can take out marring and 3000grit sandpaper marks. In your opinion could you skip the 2nd polish and just go straight from the SIP to the Micro Finish?

2. How did you decide what company to purchase polishes from and then where to start? ie how did you know you should start at SIP and not further down the line?

3. What is a SurBuf pad? I've never heard of it before.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
JayReplay
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 6MT Sunroof Delete

Looks great with the Menzerna products! Were you able to get most of the swirls out? I'm looking to try something new to rid the swirls on my imola red.

2002 Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3 6MT
2017 White C63 AMG Coupe
2002 Oxford Green E46 M3 6MT - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital01 View Post
Thanks guys. It's definitely rewarding to see the results after countless hours of detailing. I've learned a lot of new things from you guys, and I continue to learn something new every day here in the detailing forum.

A 3 step is definitely a pain in the ass, but think of it this way. You only have to do it once a year, if even that. This is taking into account that you've maintained in between with a sealant of your choice (wax, polymer sealant, etc).
If you maintain your baby correctly, at WORST, you should only have to do a two-step in the future. Many times you can get away with just the 106fa on black
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #14
kimoxl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335

love meznerna products..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 02:52 AM   #15
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 JZB

I just did something similar on the hood of my M3. I had some deep scratches so I knew it would take some cut to get them out. Started with the Menzerna SIP on an orange lake country pad and that shined the paint but still left alot of scratches. Stepped up to SIP on Surbuf and that got rid of alot more, but still left a few of the RDS. I finally pulled out my bottle of Menzerna Power Gloss and used that on the Surbuf. That took out all the scratches but left some fine swirling of it's own. I then stepped down to SIP on the Orange Pad and that left a fairly nice shine with no swirling. I had some Chemical Guys P40 on hand so I finished with that on a White pad. It left a very nice gloss and no defects. I protected my work with a layer of Menzerna Power Lock.

It took me longer than it needed to as I was learning as I went. I now will tackle the whole car. The rest of the car is much better so a 2-step with SIP on orange folllowed by the P40 on white should do the trick. Now to find the time
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #16
churchillps
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Nice work
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #17
churchillps
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
If you maintain your baby correctly, at WORST, you should only have to do a two-step in the future. Many times you can get away with just the 106fa on black
It's good and bad. Good for your time/labor, bad to have to spend $70 on two polishes that you hopefully only have to use once.
Appreciate 0