E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Holiday suggestions please

01-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Holiday suggestions please

Mrs is nagging me to book something for summer so i need to find something pretty quickly

I've left it up to her past few years and the last hotel we went to i was shitting for days as was my mate who bought his family but he had it worse.

Wishing to avoid that and the horrible multi-coloured decor and crappy aircon i want to pick somewhere nice.

Problem is i'm not good on planes. Not a fear, just very sensitive inner ear so i'm spending the entire journey feeling like i'm going to chuck my breakfast over the passenger in-front. Doc can't help and i've tried several things. To be honest it's quite annoying really as so many places i want to travel to.

So i normally set myself a 2:30hr flight time goal. We normally go spain, italy, corsica, ibiza, sardinia and furthest i've been is Malta which i think was around 3hrs or so.

Where ever we go can't be too far, ideally hotel has to be really nice, modern or character rooms, excellent food which is very important, near or on the beach and allows kids. Could anyone suggest something for 2 adults, 2 kids that might fit this criteria?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Mediterranean cruise? Yeah, I know these are usually for old people and my experience of two cruises that I've been on are poles apart. I did one in the Caribbean (with Royal Caribbean) and it was awesome....a really young vibe, lots of fun things to do and, although this was of no benefit to me, it seemed very family orientated. I've also done a cruise to Norway, which was shit.

Is this the thread where I can get sympathy for the holiday I've just booked for May? Oh, OK then.....

California.....3 nights in LA, 3 nights in San Francisco and 2 nights in Palm Springs. And a Chevrolet Camaro SS (yep, that specific model) to get to each destination.

Followed by....6 nights on Waikiki beach in Hawaii. With a Dodge Challenger R/T (ahem...it's that specific model I've booked too ) to get me from the airport to the hotel, where it will probably stay parked up for most of the time

Yeah I know, I normally go to quite exotic places so this one is a bit of an 'austerity' holiday
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Med Cruise would get my vote too, having done two now with wife and kids, great fun. Different port each day, different culture etc etc wonderful holiday.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Is this the thread where I can get sympathy for the holiday I've just booked for May? Oh, OK then.....

California.....3 nights in LA, 3 nights in San Francisco and 2 nights in Palm Springs. And a Chevrolet Camaro SS (yep, that specific model) to get to each destination.

Followed by....6 nights on Waikiki beach in Hawaii. With a Dodge Challenger R/T (ahem...it's that specific model I've booked too ) to get me from the airport to the hotel, where it will probably stay parked up for most of the time

Yeah I know, I normally go to quite exotic places so this one is a bit of an 'austerity' holiday
Geez Andrew,that sounds fecking dire!

Given my plans (2 wks camping by Dungeness B power station) and yours, swanning around the States in a gas guzzler (think of the polar bears you evil man!),and wasting your life on a beach,albeit one of the finest on the planet,Id still prefer the desolation and pebbley beach on the the garden of England's finest coast line.

Nothing beats the wind,the fine rain that soaks you to the skin without you realising,and more importantly, the chance to catch a mutant cod that you can cook on your primus stove.

I do hope you enjoy the time away Andrew,has any one at any time said:
"You are a blessed barsteward"!

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 03:00 AM   #5
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Paphos , Cyprus is nice. The parents retired out there and it is a fantastic place to visit. 4 hour flight time and lots of airlines go there now including Easyjet. I would avoid July and August though as it is just to effin hot!
      02-01-2013, 03:49 AM   #6
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Croatia!
      02-01-2013, 03:52 AM   #7
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Somalia!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #8
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Take a leisurely drive down to S/w France and either stay in a nice hotel or a mobile home.

No ear problems,and a cracking drive.

So much win

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 04:10 AM   #9
SCN_Saul
http://www.seatcupra.net
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

we went to bardolino, on lake garda, for our honeymoon

booked through travelzoo on a deal and stayed at a new hotel called the aqualux

one of the best holidays ive enjoyed, hotel was amazing (its a spa hotel so lots of pools and stuff for the kids) and the town of bardolino is full of restaurants/bars/gelateries (ice cream parlours) very friendly atmosphere, not many brits, quite a few germans (they dont bother me as i deal with them daily through work)

lake is great also, loads of beaches (they do get busy) and you can hire boats to cruise the lake of your own accord, also a water/theme park nearby

id go again in a heartbeat
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 04:20 AM   #10
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport 320D,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
I tried out the hertz adrenaline range (?) the last 2 times I went to the US, the first time we got a Corvette and this time it was this...

which was great, although a mornings driving round Manhatten got this..

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it...
      02-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
If you're so averse to flights why not skip the flight?

Myself, missus, and another couple took 4 bicycles and a jetski to Jersey a couple of years ago in late April and it was great. Short ferry ride to get there, beautiful island for cycling, lots of stuff for kids to do as well as adults, great beaches and hills and countryside, and they spend pounds and speak English.

If you were staying for a couple of weeks there's no reason you couldn't get on the boat and go to France for a few days in the middle.

I've been to around 40 countries for work and play and I honestly didn't expect much but was very pleasantly surprised.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #12
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman View Post
I tried out the hertz adrenaline range (?) the last 2 times I went to the US, the first time we got a Corvette and this time it was this...
I have a lot of experience with the Adrenalin range (work) and i'm in a Corvette every time now. The Camaro SS is better than the Challenger R/T and the Mustang GT Premium, and the Camaro SS convertible is okay too, but none of them compare to the Corvette, despite the shoddy American spec rubber. Mustang sounds the best though admittedly
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 05:55 AM   #13
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Take a leisurely drive down to S/w France and either stay in a nice hotel or a mobile home.

So much win
+1

Some nice villa's with a pool if you don't mind not being waited upon.

If you don't want the long drive back (going down is always better!!) then fly down and rent a car (that's what I do)

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #14
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The Hertz Adrenalin range is awesome - isn't it great that you can book proper American muscle through a fully insured, no limits (i.e. mileage and damage) mainstream organisation. The fact the cars are probably shite doesn't even come into it....it's all about experiencing the American dream.

I've had the Corvette previously and enjoyed it immensely (nearly got into a lot of trouble too after I was stopped for doing 117mph in Death Valley!) - thought I'd try the Camaro and Challenger this time for variation.

Sorry OP, totally O/T as I feel the State may be a bit far for your flight limitations!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #15
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

Are you taking kids? If not, I'd suggest the Venice to Venice cruise with Seabourn, really nice ports, small ship ~250 passengers, and excellent service

Just re read your last sentence - sorry! Probably not the best suggestion as Seabourn don't cater for kids
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #16
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Where do you all stay in S W France?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #17
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Highline Coupe

As suggested Lake Garda looks great, I was watching a travel program last night about it and I now really fancy a trip there myself.

There is a theme park close by which is run by the same company as Alton Towers, plenty of watersports to do in the lake and then you have got a couple of cities close enough to do a day or two at.

Seems like a great mix of things to do across a week to 10 days, only downside is that it seems to be quite expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #18
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Where do you all stay in S W France?
So much to choose from,I've done:

Montpellier (Woman to die for!)
Aigues-Morte (very old walled town,stunning,and great for the Camargue)
Sete (Fishing port,if you like sea food,it's seventh heaven,also good for the Camargue)
Carcassone (stunning castle,town steeped in history)
Valras Plage (great campsites,right on the beach)

The whole area is a fantastic place to go,it has everything for all ages,and is so, so much better than the South of France.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #19
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Somalia!
A cruise?

I've been forced into taking the whole family to Euro Disney this year. 5 kids and 6 adults. Will be a fecking nightmare.

PS Palmnuts. Need anyone to keep the SLS running for you while you are wallowing around the states in their efforts at a sports car?
      02-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #20
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

I've done a med cruise and it took me a few days to stop feeling sick from the swaying. Even when i got off my body thought it was still swaying for a few days after

Lake Garda is a good call, i've stayed there before and the old hotels and scenery are simply stunning. The rooms are nothing like what you normally get in most spanish resorts. Beautiful decor, wooden shutters etc but i cant remember there being any man made sandy beaches. Best pizza i ever had tho.

I'd like to go back to corsica but currently struggling to find a hotel.

Do people normally book flight and hotel themselves or go with a package? The only ones we seem to have discovered are the sensatori from Thomson.

I will check out the south of france too

Any hotel recommendations anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #21
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
I've done a med cruise and it took me a few days to stop feeling sick from the swaying. Even when i got off my body thought it was still swaying for a few days after

Good God....how do you cope with the torque in the '35D? It must send you into a semi-unconsciousness

Butlins it is then
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #22
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post

So much win
Managed Dover to Bezier in a day, cruising steadily

Stayed at Portir Agnes