E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Best Scanning Diagnostic Tool

05-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
Hectic77
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 320d

Best Scanning Diagnostic Tool

Hi guys,

Newbie to forum. Was wondering what is a good scanning tool to get? I know there are some out there and can read 'shadow codes' not sure if this is really neccesary unless your a mechanic of course?

Not sure which one you guys recommend for home use?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 07:37 PM   #2
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

I use the Bavarian Technic cable and software and it's excellent. It reads both current and shadow codes, as well as states at what time the code came up. Obviously much more (eg individual adaptation resets, logging etc) There is also an ECS Tuning diagnostic tool which is meant to be great and gaining popularity.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #3
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

INPA as part of BMW standard tools. Only need a cheap scan cable and is way more capable than any third party software
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:23 AM   #4
Hectic77
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
INPA as part of BMW standard tools. Only need a cheap scan cable and is way more capable than any third party software

Thanks guys, much appreciate your thoughts on this subject. I guess if ur a bit of a hardcore Bimmer nut who likes modding then the Bavarian Tech is prob the way to go.
vtl, which INPA cable (brand) do u recommend? Is eBay the way to go?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:53 AM   #5
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic77 View Post
Thanks guys, much appreciate your thoughts on this subject. I guess if ur a bit of a hardcore Bimmer nut who likes modding then the Bavarian Tech is prob the way to go.
vtl, which INPA cable (brand) do u recommend? Is eBay the way to go?
This is the golden link that works. Lot of cables are a different white PCB which might not connect to your car.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271621954...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

INPA is the software from BMW you can use to diagnose your vehicle. Much more capable than the BAV cable. Reads everything and you can go into the detail of an error code. A lot of times the error code is pretty vauge but will have more data ascociated with it that pinpoints the fault. Cable is much cheaper and the software can be downloaded off the forums. Its a bit tricky to setup but now there are idiot proof guides in in the coding section of this forum.

Alternatively if you want a more user friendly setup, you can use the same cable but use an android app called BMW Carly. Never used it cos I use INPA but seems to be an alternative that is easy to use and recommended by a lot of members here.
      05-23-2016, 06:24 AM   #6
Hectic77
Rep

Thanks vtl! If you could point me in the right direction where to download the software, that will be ace!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 07:44 AM   #7
Fuji
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl
Alternatively if you want a more user friendly setup, you can use the same cable but use an android app called BMW Carly.
+1 CarlyforBMW is very easy to use and convenient. Basically idiot-proof!

It also works with iOS but may require purchasing of their proprietary cable. I found the app worked with newer cars using a generic Bluetooth OBD dongle, but not on my older '07 320i.

I did use my laptop and code with BMW software in the past, but I found this to be a lot of effort at times. I guess I got lazy
      05-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #8
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Bt cables a bit old school and limited.

Inpa does everything but is a bit of a pain to use.

A step up from bt cable is the schwaben scanner from ecs tuning. It does alot more then bt cable and is 299 plus shipping frin the us.

It can code injectors for a start. Code batteries, auto bleeding brakes. Heaps of extra stuff
They are currently working on updates at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:46 PM   #9
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuji View Post
+1 CarlyforBMW is very easy to use and convenient. Basically idiot-proof!

It also works with iOS but may require purchasing of their proprietary cable. I found the app worked with newer cars using a generic Bluetooth OBD dongle, but not on my older '07 320i.

I did use my laptop and code with BMW software in the past, but I found this to be a lot of effort at times. I guess I got lazy
Carly app + Carly wifi ODBII adaptor work well, helpful note, turn JB4 to map 0 otherwise it is unreliable and won't connect.

They don't tell you this in the app :/
      05-26-2016, 05:17 AM   #10
Hectic77
Rep

Thank you all for your all your advice. Now it comes down to decisions, decisions...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #11
aaron_
Captain
Rep
Drives: E93 335i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
This is the golden link that works. Lot of cables are a different white PCB which might not connect to your car.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271621954...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

INPA is the software from BMW you can use to diagnose your vehicle. Much more capable than the BAV cable. Reads everything and you can go into the detail of an error code. A lot of times the error code is pretty vauge but will have more data ascociated with it that pinpoints the fault. Cable is much cheaper and the software can be downloaded off the forums. Its a bit tricky to setup but now there are idiot proof guides in in the coding section of this forum.

Alternatively if you want a more user friendly setup, you can use the same cable but use an android app called BMW Carly. Never used it cos I use INPA but seems to be an alternative that is easy to use and recommended by a lot of members here.
what's the best software to use with this cable. I just purchased it =D
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 01:57 AM   #12
Avex
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i AW

doh! just found this thread after purchasing one with the white pcb. having no luck with getting it to connect with INPA so far.

the most popular seller on ebay australia sells a white pcb, so do avoid:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11400...&sojTags=bu=bu

This thread and vtl's link should be a sticky for the unsuspecting bmw coding noobs.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 02:07 AM   #13
aaron_
Captain
Rep

I bought Vtl's cable. 100% works for n55 with latest DME software
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 02:39 AM   #14
CYL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ View Post
I bought Vtl's cable. 100% works for n55 with latest DME software
Are you using the NCS Expert software provided by the cable seller?
Or are you sourcing the software elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 03:12 AM   #15
aaron_
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
Are you using the NCS Expert software provided by the cable seller?
Or are you sourcing the software elsewhere?
I had the ppk done by joe at top gear solutions. He provided links to dl the software (ncs expert/inpa/and other stuff)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 04:10 AM   #16
Grohouse
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 325i

+1 CarlyforBMW. Works great.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #17
aaron_
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
Carly app + Carly wifi ODBII adaptor work well, helpful note, turn JB4 to map 0 otherwise it is unreliable and won't connect.

They don't tell you this in the app :/
Does this app tell me the extra info we were trying to get from the error codes through inpa when vtl was guiding us?

Had a look on the website. Seems like it does. And that it's more suited to someone like me, with a nice and easy GUI to use!!

also will it code injectors and allow a transmission fluid change?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #18
Grohouse
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Does this app tell me the extra info we were trying to get from the error codes through inpa when vtl was guiding us?

Had a look on the website. Seems like it does. And that it's more suited to someone like me, with a nice and easy GUI to use!!

also will it code injectors and allow a transmission fluid change?
I don't think it can code injectors (yet).
However, you don't need anything to do a transmission fluid change as I've recently done this myself without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 12:11 AM   #19
aaron_
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohouse View Post
However, you don't need anything to do a transmission fluid change as I've recently done this myself without any issues.
had a look at the carly website. I like it. will let me code a digital speedo, auto fold mirrors on lock/unlock, disable warning on startup and is a good code reader so to do all that is worth the $160ish

only thing I don't get is, do you need to pay a nominal fee to register a battery, and reset service intervals? that's what I thought I read.......cant be right though after buying the adaptor and software can it?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 12:31 AM   #20
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohouse View Post
Ideally when doing a tranny fluid change you activate the pump which flushes out the old fluid in the system for a full flush so to speak, or you can just perform another fluid change in a short interval after the initial change.

I know workshops who have tools such as an autologic etc perform this type of servicing.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 02:51 AM   #21
Grohouse
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
had a look at the carly website. I like it. will let me code a digital speedo, auto fold mirrors on lock/unlock, disable warning on startup and is a good code reader so to do all that is worth the $160ish

only thing I don't get is, do you need to pay a nominal fee to register a battery, and reset service intervals? that's what I thought I read.......cant be right though after buying the adaptor and software can it?
You need to buy the Full Version App (Pro) and buy the battery registration add-on after. Not sure what this extra $$ is (few bux..?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Ideally when doing a tranny fluid change you activate the pump which flushes out the old fluid in the system for a full flush so to speak, or you can just perform another fluid change in a short interval after the initial change.

I know workshops who have tools such as an autologic etc perform this type of servicing.
Yep - double flush gets it pretty clean. The GM dexron tranny fluid is cheaper than the ZF's.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #22
aaron_
Captain
Rep

can you do logs with carly?

and if I use the pro app on my car, can I use it on my mums 335i as well?

also as a FYI, I ordered the wifi obd thing direct from carly in EU, cost $100AUD including postage. they emailed me saying I could have it quicker if I cancel the order and buy through carly AUS, but it costs $150AUD including postage for JUST the adaptor. why would there be a $50 difference in price? I don't get it!! not in a real hurry for it, so ill just get it in a few weeks.
Appreciate 0