E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Looking to purchase a polisher and compounds



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #1
Faredo
Second Lieutenant
Faredo's Avatar
86
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Arkansas

iTrader: (0)

Looking to purchase a polisher and compounds

I'm normally a silver or grey car kind of guy. But my last purchase is black (Ford Tuxedo Black) and it seems black needs infinity more care.
My typical method is clay bar twice a year, end of Spring and early fall. seal and wax once a month. normally with off the shelf Meguiars products.
This isn't cutting it for the Ford. I must be getting old because im wiped out by the end of the day .

So, that said im looking at the following polisher https://www.amazon.com/TORQX-Random-...IysdUy-7-UyTbg

but the crazy amount of compounds and pads out there are confusing. My cars are in relatively good shape, garage kept, no salt, no parking near trees. I just want to keep them that way and give them a good "hows your father" twice a year.

Thanks for any advise.
__________________
Stock Turbos, MHD stage 2 93 oct, VRSF Downpipes, VRSF Relocated inlets, CTS Turbo 7" Intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
jkrig
Second Lieutenant
jkrig's Avatar
37
Rep
299
Posts

Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Virginia Beach

iTrader: (0)

Good for you man...taking the plunge, you will find a mixed bag of opinions when it comes to Chemical Guys products and I wont weigh as I have only use 1 or two of their soaps. You will need to determine the level of correction is required to get the results you desire then order appropriately. As far as equipment there are similar polishers in terms of features and throw (the Harbor Freight DA comes to mind) that are a bit more affordable if affordability is a part of your decision process. While the kit you linked does come with pads, there aren't enough to do a full polish/correction on a car. Rule of thumb, more correction= more pads, if you are using a compound you will need more pads than if you were using a polish. For reference on a mid-size car I would probably use 5-6 foam pads for compounding (more if I'm using mf), and maybe 3-5 for polishing. Most sites that sell detailing products sell packs of pads from different manufacturers that you can customize the exact pads you would like within the 6,8,12 pack. You said your vehicles are in good shape so maybe a light to med polish is all you need, pair that with a some polishing pads and maybe some wax/sealant pads and you are gold. You will like applying sealants and waxes by machine IMHO it saves time and product. Couple of small but important items as well get a pad brush to clean you pads after each panel/section pass, working clean will give you better more consistent results. Also you may want to get some type of panel wipe/paint prep product to remove any oils left on the paint after you complete the polishing step it will ensure proper bonding of your wax/sealant/coating. Isopropyl alchohol/distilled water mix will work as a final wipe in a pinch also.....sorry for the rant but lotta avenues to cover ...lol
__________________
MHD Stage 1+ FMIC // VRSF 5" stepped// StopTech x-drilled Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic Pads // Wiesslicht AE's // OEM Blacklines // Matte Kidneys // MonoChrome emblems.....
Appreciate 2
      10-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #3
Fixit101
Registered
Fixit101's Avatar
1
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2011 335D Sport
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Newnan, GA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335D  [0.00]
Look up Dallas paint correction and auto detailing on youtube. lots of good info from a guy that seems to know his stuff. not promoting lots of products just to advertise either...

look at the DA polisher he uses before you buy one...he has a review on it. Worth watching.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
212
Rep
4,831
Posts


Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Here is my response on this topic from another recent post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post

A proper paint correction is not a process that is done in an afternoon... more like an entire weekend.

Thanks to awesome improvements in tools and products over the last 10 years or so, it is easier than ever for a first timer to get outstanding results with little practice/training.

In my article Two Step Paint Correction Overview and Video Demo: 1937 Ford Coupe Hot Rod I go over the basics of the "two-step" paint correction process on a really nice jet black 37 Ford Coupe.




I am not sure of the details of your specific vehicle, but you may find these threads helpful where I have listed some of my preferred products for the detailing process, including paint correction.


Help me build out a detail "kit" for a Jet Black BMW
Building a kit for a Black Sapphire Metallic BMW
Black Sapphire Metallic X5 - Corrected & Coated
Recommended products for novice detailing


We also have a comprehensive Detailing Guide and our Ask-A-Pro Blog is full of helpful articles.
If you have any specific questions, please let me know!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image
Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #5
Rival
Captain
28
Rep
717
Posts

Drives: 95 z28
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: shytown

iTrader: (0)

porter cable, Rupes (italian da), Griots and then flex.

Rupes & flex would be on top. Griots is considered to be nicer and higher amps then PC.

PC is the old and standard guy. I still have their org unit, its 12.5yrs old and i use it to sand stuff like a palm, compressed air sander too.
__________________
2010 335i M sport
2008 328i
2006 325i
1995 Z28 6spd - 377rwhp rip
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 07:01 AM   #6
BdSM n54iS
Lieutenant Colonel
BdSM n54iS's Avatar
United_States
634
Rep
1,994
Posts

Drives: In front of flashing lights
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Pulled over on the side of the road

iTrader: (2)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1430329

Detailed Image was basically my starting point and go-to for products, props to you guys!!

I really like the GG da polisher, having said that I haven't used any others to compare to though. I liked the results I got with m105/205, I hear Griot's BOSS line will give very good results as well. The Chemical Guys hex logic pads are the best I have used thus far, Lake Country would be my other go-to for pads. I have Chemical Guys Blacklight and Petes wax waiting for me also when I get back around to finish her up along with the V07 and diablo wheel cleaner.
__________________
'11 335is MT BSM/Black | NAV | Premium | Convenience | Cold | HK | MHD | Cobb FMIC | Cobb CP | Cobb DP | aFe stage 2 SI | TurboSmart Dual Ports | BMS OCC | RB PCV Valve | Turner Spacers | Michelin PSS | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Front Lip | BMW Performance ///M Wheel | Sprint Booster | remoteKEY+

Last edited by BdSM n54iS; 10-26-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #7
e90Jeet
New Member
e90Jeet's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2011 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1430329

Detailed Image was basically my starting point and go-to for products, props to you guys!!

I really like the GG da polisher, having said that I haven't used any others to compare to though. I liked the results I got with m105/205, I hear Griot's BOSS line will give very good results as well. The Chemical Guys hex logic pads are the best I have used thus far, Lake Country would be my other go-to for pads. I have Chemical Guys Blacklight and Petes wax waiting for me also when I get back around to finish her up along with the V07 and diablo wheel cleaner.
Anything selling their GG polisher, PM me
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #8
Faredo
Second Lieutenant
Faredo's Avatar
86
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Arkansas

iTrader: (0)

So I got a coupon for the harbor freight DA, $50, and decided to give it a try on my DD.
I used HD Speed https://www.amazon.com/HD-Speed-All-.../dp/B0081KXJO0
,Meguiars Ultimate liquid and Chemical guys 6" pads orange white and black. This car was in much worse shape than my wifes and the bmw. I can tell the HD speed wasn't aggressive enough for the DD but was extremely effective on the BMW and Ford. I havent driven the BMW but the Ford is shedding water so fast its dry when it pulls in the garage. Anything wrong with this process? on BMW Clay> HD Speed white pad > Meguiars Ultimate > Optimum Spray Wax for maintenance.

Thanks. I know i didnt follow anyone's specific advice. More of an accumulation lol, it seems this topic is so subject to personal opinion and understandably so.
__________________
Stock Turbos, MHD stage 2 93 oct, VRSF Downpipes, VRSF Relocated inlets, CTS Turbo 7" Intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
jkrig
Second Lieutenant
jkrig's Avatar
37
Rep
299
Posts

Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Virginia Beach

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faredo View Post
So I got a coupon for the harbor freight DA, $50, and decided to give it a try on my DD.
I used HD Speed https://www.amazon.com/HD-Speed-All-.../dp/B0081KXJO0
,Meguiars Ultimate liquid and Chemical guys 6" pads orange white and black. This car was in much worse shape than my wifes and the bmw. I can tell the HD speed wasn't aggressive enough for the DD but was extremely effective on the BMW and Ford. I havent driven the BMW but the Ford is shedding water so fast its dry when it pulls in the garage. Anything wrong with this process? on BMW Clay> HD Speed white pad > Meguiars Ultimate > Optimum Spray Wax for maintenance.

Thanks. I know i didnt follow anyone's specific advice. More of an accumulation lol, it seems this topic is so subject to personal opinion and understandably so.
You could try either more aggressive pads with HD Speed, or more aggressive product with your Orange pads for the car that needed more correction.

You followed the HD Speed/white pad combo with Megs Ultimate? (which product).....Technically you could be done after a polish with HD Speed as its a (AIO) all in one polish and sealant...
__________________
MHD Stage 1+ FMIC // VRSF 5" stepped// StopTech x-drilled Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic Pads // Wiesslicht AE's // OEM Blacklines // Matte Kidneys // MonoChrome emblems.....
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #10
Faredo
Second Lieutenant
Faredo's Avatar
86
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Arkansas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrig View Post
You could try either more aggressive pads with HD Speed, or more aggressive product with your Orange pads for the car that needed more correction.

You followed the HD Speed/white pad combo with Megs Ultimate? (which product).....Technically you could be done after a polish with HD Speed as its a (AIO) all in one polish and sealant...
Thanks for the reply

Ill need to find a more aggressive pad. It worked, i was just having to add a lot more pressure than i liked.

I was using Meguiars G18216 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Was hoping for longevity and water shedding. We are coming into a wetter season here.
__________________
Stock Turbos, MHD stage 2 93 oct, VRSF Downpipes, VRSF Relocated inlets, CTS Turbo 7" Intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #11
Barefoot-335is
Private First Class
10
Rep
176
Posts

Drives: 2012 335is Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Barefoot Beach

iTrader: (0)

I have a Griots Garage Polisher kit with bag and very little use that I would sell if anyone is looking
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #12
Blueeyesredpanda
Captain
Blueeyesredpanda's Avatar
57
Rep
657
Posts

Drives: E90 / F30
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faredo View Post
I'm normally a silver or grey car kind of guy. But my last purchase is black (Ford Tuxedo Black) and it seems black needs infinity more care.
My typical method is clay bar twice a year, end of Spring and early fall. seal and wax once a month. normally with off the shelf Meguiars products.
This isn't cutting it for the Ford. I must be getting old because im wiped out by the end of the day .

So, that said im looking at the following polisher https://www.amazon.com/TORQX-Random-...IysdUy-7-UyTbg

but the crazy amount of compounds and pads out there are confusing. My cars are in relatively good shape, garage kept, no salt, no parking near trees. I just want to keep them that way and give them a good "hows your father" twice a year.

Thanks for any advise.
CG vline and pads are garbage, the vline v32 and v34 causes alot of compound dust and the pads just soak the dust. when half of the car is done, the pads are done. 10fx is a decent polisher worth the price, if you are not a pro, then its a good start.
Ignore the wax, get ceramic coating.

Get the torq 10fx + Lake Country pads + Menzerna polish

Heavy or Minor Swirls paint:
1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Carpro trix Iron and tar removal
4. 1 step compound - Menzerna 400 (This is the best compound i have ever used, dust free) + 2x LC Orange pad
5. Polish - Menzerna 3500 / 3800 + LC Black Pad
6. Carpro eraser degrease any oil from polishing
7. Carpro cquartz
8. Carpro reload

Tips: get 6.5 inch backing plate and polishing pads

Last edited by Blueeyesredpanda; 12-07-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #13
Jarronbwall
318 turns, 11 miles, keep up
Jarronbwall's Avatar
United_States
59
Rep
526
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (0)

To be clear people don't "wax" cars anymore right? A good sealant is all you need unless you have show car or something.
__________________
335i, sport pkg, 3 pedals, 35% tint, Blacked Out, LED markers, OZ Superleggera wheels, S Drive tires
Custom mufflers w/ stainless Cyba tips
Tuner, downpipes, and plenty more to come
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 01:04 PM   #14
Blueeyesredpanda
Captain
Blueeyesredpanda's Avatar
57
Rep
657
Posts

Drives: E90 / F30
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarronbwall View Post
To be clear people don't "wax" cars anymore right? A good sealant is all you need unless you have show car or something.
People who uses wax, usually use sealant.

Wax is an extra layer to bring out the gloss and protect the paint, only reason people uses sealant because wax get thinner and thinner over time, usually about 3 months the wax is basically all gone. So applying sealant will protect the wax which means the wax will stay longer on the paint.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #15
Jarronbwall
318 turns, 11 miles, keep up
Jarronbwall's Avatar
United_States
59
Rep
526
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
People who uses wax, usually use sealant.

Wax is an extra layer to bring out the gloss and protect the paint, only reason people uses sealant because wax get thinner and thinner over time, usually about 3 months the wax is basically all gone. So applying sealant will protect the wax which means the wax will stay longer on the paint.
Thanks for the response man. So when detailing my car this winter should I apply apply wax first, then seal second?
__________________
335i, sport pkg, 3 pedals, 35% tint, Blacked Out, LED markers, OZ Superleggera wheels, S Drive tires
Custom mufflers w/ stainless Cyba tips
Tuner, downpipes, and plenty more to come
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #16
Blueeyesredpanda
Captain
Blueeyesredpanda's Avatar
57
Rep
657
Posts

Drives: E90 / F30
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarronbwall View Post
Thanks for the response man. So when detailing my car this winter should I apply apply wax first, then seal second?
That's correct! Sealant always go last
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #17
Andy198712
First Lieutenant
27
Rep
391
Posts

Drives: 2010 E91 325d
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cornwall

iTrader: (0)

i thought it was the other way around as sealants normally want clean paint to stick to? but don't always off the gloss of a wax so people add the wax over the top?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #18
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
212
Rep
4,831
Posts


Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

The general method is to apply the stronger layer of protection as the base layer, so in this case, apply your sealant and then you may apply a wax on top if you wish (optional).

Zach McGovern
DI Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #19
Jarronbwall
318 turns, 11 miles, keep up
Jarronbwall's Avatar
United_States
59
Rep
526
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
The general method is to apply the stronger layer of protection as the base layer, so in this case, apply your sealant and then you may apply a wax on top if you wish (optional).

Zach McGovern
DI Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
Either way my car sleeps indoors and stays in a parking garage during work. I don't see a reason to wax or add extra protection
It's probably just going to add inadvertent swirl and love marks (hence amateur skills).

I have Meguiars M101 compound, M205 polish, and black diamond sealant in my cart on your website. My paint was professionally detailed 2 years ago. What pad(s) would you recommend I add to my purchase? Thanks
__________________
335i, sport pkg, 3 pedals, 35% tint, Blacked Out, LED markers, OZ Superleggera wheels, S Drive tires
Custom mufflers w/ stainless Cyba tips
Tuner, downpipes, and plenty more to come

Last edited by Jarronbwall; 12-08-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #20
Faredo
Second Lieutenant
Faredo's Avatar
86
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Arkansas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
i thought it was the other way around as sealants normally want clean paint to stick to?
Thats always what ive heard. Seal the good paint, then wax the sealer. otherwise you would be sealing as maintenance instead of waxing.
__________________
Stock Turbos, MHD stage 2 93 oct, VRSF Downpipes, VRSF Relocated inlets, CTS Turbo 7" Intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #21
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Detailed Image's Avatar
United_States
212
Rep
4,831
Posts


Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarronbwall View Post
Either way my car sleeps indoors and stays in a parking garage during work. I don't see a reason to wax or add extra protection
It's probably just going to add inadvertent swirl and love marks (hence amateur skills).

I have Meguiars M101 compound, M205 polish, and black diamond sealant in my cart on your website. My paint was professionally detailed 2 years ago. What pad(s) would you recommend I add to my purchase? Thanks
Common pads for compounding are:
Microfiber Cutting Pads
Light Cutting Pads

Common Pads for Polishing are:
Polishing Pads
Finishing Pads

Common Pads for Sealant Application:
Fine Finishing Pad
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #22
tsm007
Enlisted Member
tsm007's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 328XI
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Rupes polisher is a great tool. They usually go for around $250-$300 but definitely worth every penny. It's used by pro detailers. Combining that with a 3" or 6" microfiber cutting pad should do the job perfectly. For detailing products I would highly recommend Ammo NYC. They have a ton of high quality products.
__________________
Instagram: TSM_007
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST