E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Another valet horror story.

03-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #23
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

My bumper cover replacement, from a BMW dealer's bodyshop in Colorado, was $960. Part, labor, paint match on the PDC sensors, etc.
      03-23-2009, 10:02 AM   #24
ARSAIR
The Choosen One!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Thanks for the responses.

Thanks for the responses. It was at Elevate Lounge in Downtown, LA.

Yeah they hid it well because of the setup of the place. I was only able to approach my car from the front, I should have done the walk around. It doesn't matter if they say they weren't responsible I already told the guy who worked there that just because they hid it, I would make all their lives hell unless they paid and I intend to do that if they don't pay.

There are cameras on the outside, but like all other parking structures, not on the inside. It should show that my car was fine going in, but not coming out. I have a strong suspicion though that those cameras were likely "not operational". I will let you know what happens.
      03-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #25
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
As far as I can tell, this isn't a criminal case (unless you do go run over the valets).
I would go and run over the valet, and rip him a new asshole. What a fucking shmack this guy is. It looks like he backed up into a pole. Sorry to hear about your loss.
Word of advice for everyone. Always walk around the car prior to driving off. Once you drive off, your loss.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #26
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
i would doubt the valet will admit and say u didn't tell them anything when u pick up the car...and sometimes on their valet ticket will state something like "we will not responsible for any damages or items stolen..." etc etc.....

for bumper replacement....go for M-tech....PM longtran....
      03-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #27
CyberGypsy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

If you let the lot without showing the damage to Valet you are SOL
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #28
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

I wouldn't deal with the valet at all. Make sure you get their names (the guy who drove it in and the guy who drove it out). Focus on the management. They have insurance for stuff like that. The valets will probably lie because they don't want to lose their jobs.

Right away, you should start documenting everything you know, from the moment you gave them the keys that night etc.

+1 on comparing the damage to where the car may have been parked.

"Look, we are all reasonable men here. We don't have to give assurances as if we were lawyers." (Godfather: Part II)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #29
StoneCold
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 328i Coupe, Pro 02/08

Damm...that sucks. I'm sorry to hear Op & GL.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #30
ARSAIR
The Choosen One!
United_States
Rep

Walkaround is a must.

Yes, lesson learned. I mean I knew I should have walked around my car, believe it or not I am extremely careful with my car, but it just did not occur to me that night. Like I said they sort of made it difficult for me to see it. The worst part is I tipped that guy $3.00 and he took it, honestly of everything that is the worst part. He took my $3.00, if I could only travel in time. The nerve of the guy to take my $3.00.

I am already preparing for litigation this thing has me so incensed. A good friend is counsel for Bentley and I am going to ask him for some advice, believe me after the requests for depositions and interrogatories they will be glad to pay me $1000-$1500 to get my car fixed, there is no way I am letting this go.

The waivers of liability is not a real defense, you cannot passively agree to waive your rights, I didn't sign anything, and their paperwork at best was sloppy, I have already gotten all the names times etc., I have documented everything. Like I said even if I can't win this case, I am going to make them pay their attorneys and make them pay in bringing their witnesses to the courtroom if they want to take it that far.

Its $200 to file a limited civil case in CA, believe me, it will be well worth my money to do it, even if I loose it, just on principal. I hate valets never use them, warning to all, do not slip, not even once.
      03-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #31
scooby9
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 BMW 335xi

Honestly, I hate mandatory valet. Plus a lot of valet places have fine print where they absolve themselves of responsibility. I just find my own parking and walk...
      03-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #32
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
in some cases...even if you pointed out the damage when they pull up ur car....they can "claim" that the damage was there when you drop off ur car....there's no paperwork signed and its just "he said"-"she said" situation....
      03-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #33
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby9 View Post
Honestly, I hate mandatory valet. Plus a lot of valet places have fine print where they absolve themselves of responsibility. I just find my own parking and walk...
Most of the fine print that places put on things absolving them of any liability are illegal and would be thrown out by a judge in a second.

I'd have to look up the actual law per se, but a company cannot absolve itself from any damages, especially willful or negligent damages, by simply printing "not liable.." on something.
      03-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #34
Speed_Addict
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by finleyg View Post
If at all possible, go back to the spot where you think he might have hit the wall and take pictures. There could well be a mark consistent with the damage on your vehicle or some plastic from the bumper ground into the wall. If you get that Pic it is going to be very hard for them to explain. Also, measure the height to the impact mark and photograph the spot which is the most likely culprit... I do civil work in Missouri and those are the things I would do right away, it will help your claim if you can find anything.

Fin
+100

Years ago while in college I worked for a Valet company and while they were insured they made the employees responsible for the company's deductible should the employee (i.e., valet) damage a customers car. Valet parking pays mostly in tips and the valet company set a high deductible (back then it was like $500) which may be a few days work +. What it essentially motivated was valets who damaged customer cars to try and get the car off the lot without the customer knowing. If the customer did not catch it then the valet nor the company could be held responsible without there being any other evidence.

If you inspect the garage for matching damage - look for paint transfer or debris from the impact. Also, look around and see if the garage has any security camera's - if there are, you may be able to track down the footage from that time period the car was in their care.

So sad that the world these days is all about lying, cheating and putting one's self above others. Having seen these things happen on the job - I never, use valet willingly unless it is a rental car or there are absolutely no other alternatives. If I have to use valet - I check over the car so carefully I look like a jerk - but I don't care. I'd rather be a jerk then pay for someone elses mistake...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #35
ARSAIR
The Choosen One!
United_States
Rep

Inspection of lot.

I did inspect on Sunday. I checked every level I could but I think they cleaned the mess up. I could not find my missing tow hitch cap. I already know they are going to claim ignorance but I am about to go ballistic on them. This thing has really gotten under my skin for what they did to me.
      03-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #36
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSAIR View Post
I did inspect on Sunday. I checked every level I could but I think they cleaned the mess up. I could not find my missing tow hitch cap. I already know they are going to claim ignorance but I am about to go ballistic on them. This thing has really gotten under my skin for what they did to me.
Have you already started talking to them?

You don't want to wait too much before doing so. No point in fuming over it by yourself, just get you sick over a bumper.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #37
JIM E92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe

I really hate that this happened to you. I've been a victim of hit and run.

One question though--how do you know for sure that it happened in their possession. Did you drive straight home and into your garage where you noticed the damage?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #38
ARSAIR
The Choosen One!
United_States
Rep

Conversation.

I have spoken with the parking people they will "review" the claim and let me know. Basically I have done everything I could have done from personally investigating to pictures, to talking to all the people.

I am 100% sure it happened in the structure, it is a secured building, valet or person with passes only. Could it be possible that someone ran into my car when parked. Sure, but it would have been another valet or tenant, and in any case, this is noticeable, it would have been noticed. The fact that they purposefully did not show it to me tells, me that they did it.

Like I said above, they purposefully did not pull my car out, they made me come to the car and get in. Imagine the valet does not bring the car, but tells you hey, come over here you car is over here, and makes sure you do not see the back, that is what happened in my case. Hindsight is 20/20, also I did not mention but because of the impact things were dislodged in my car, my coin holder/cigarette ashtray was open my sunroof was opening like by 1in. Noticeable things were wrong I even complained like whats up, they are like what, I know I sound stupid and people might thing you didn't get out and look. But I have never ever had a car wrecked like this so the last thing on my mind was the valet hit the back and is hiding it, do a walk around.

Therefore, like I said in my first post, this is a cautionary tell so that everyone knows, and they check.
      03-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #39
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
I have spoken with the parking people they will "review" the claim and let me know. Basically I have done everything I could have done from personally investigating to pictures, to talking to all the people.

I am 100% sure it happened in the structure, it is a secured building, valet or person with passes only. Could it be possible that someone ran into my car when parked. Sure, but it would have been another valet or tenant, and in any case, this is noticeable, it would have been noticed. The fact that they purposefully did not show it to me tells, me that they did it.

Like I said above, they purposefully did not pull my car out, they made me come to the car and get in. Imagine the valet does not bring the car, but tells you hey, come over here you car is over here, and makes sure you do not see the back, that is what happened in my case. Hindsight is 20/20, also I did not mention but because of the impact things were dislodged in my car, my coin holder/cigarette ashtray was open my sunroof was opening like by 1in. Noticeable things were wrong I even complained like whats up, they are like what, I know I sound stupid and people might thing you didn't get out and look. But I have never ever had a car wrecked like this so the last thing on my mind was the valet hit the back and is hiding it, do a walk around.

Therefore, like I said in my first post, this is a cautionary tell so that everyone knows, and they check.
were you able to get back inside the garage to investigate to see if any walls or posts had any of your paint on it?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #40
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

WTF?? Freakin valet, man...man, you're the atty..sue the hell out of them...this is why i would never valet my car anymore...last time i did, they bottomed out my front bumper and i had to pay for it..not them. Someone mentioned earlier about walkaround when retrieving your car...do that and make them pay for any damage, however minor

effing valet...got me pissed now
      03-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #41
ARSAIR
The Choosen One!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamoul View Post
were you able to get back inside the garage to investigate to see if any walls or posts had any of your paint on it?
Yup, but only a day later, I strongly believe they cleaned it up, plus I don't know if you have ever been in a valet only parking structure, which this is, but every wall, post, parking marker, column, is damaged, seriously everything in that place was scuffed up. I can go over there right now and take a picture of any random things and say this is evidence.

Honestly, these structures are were cars go to die, if you would have seen the paint marks on the walls from all the poor vehicles these people have massacred you would cry.
      03-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #42
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Yup, but only a day later, I strongly believe they cleaned it up, plus I don't know if you have ever been in a valet only parking structure, which this is, but every wall, post, parking marker, column, is damaged, seriously everything in that place was scuffed up. I can go over there right now and take a picture of any random things and say this is evidence.

Honestly, these structures are were cars go to die, if you would have seen the paint marks on the walls from all the poor vehicles these people have massacred you would cry.
I believe it.. I have had friends who used to be valets and have heard many stories. In fact, at the closest BMW dealer where I used to take my car to get service before they sideswiped a pole, all the poles were scuffed up much like what you were just describing.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #43
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

ouch, that sucks man

hope it all works out for you

keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #44