E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 1st Impressions: Eisenmann Race Exhaust + OEM Engine Strut Brace

05-17-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

1st Impressions: Eisenmann Race Exhaust + OEM Engine Strut Brace

During my last few days in baltimore, I decided to install my Eisenmann Race 2x76 Exhaust as well as my OEM Engine Strut Brace...

Eisenmann Race Exhaust:
I'm going to start off saying that it's worth every penny, and it's the perfect mod for those who seek a slightly more "aggressive" exhaust tone will keeping the classy subtle luxury car status. I know a few of you might be wondering about the price--the install (cut, mount, weld -- Eisenmann Race Exhausts are NOT a straight bolt on -- for those that didn't know) cost exactly $65, and the guy did a great (fast) job, so I tipped him $20... I originally thought the labor would cost around $80, so the tip was well deserved... if you get quoted a price higher than that, you're getting shafted.

Now for the critique. Albeit it's just a muffler swap, the eisenmann is much quieter than i thought. True, if it was a cat-back it would be much louder, but based on one of the member's video's (soundclip) right above and outside the exhaust (i'm referring to the mac video of the eisenmann race exhaust on a 325xi) the exhaust sound is a bit different... and i have great speakers on my computer, so sound quality isn't really a problem. If I were to rate the level of the stock exhaust note, i would give it a 2 for idle, and 6 for wide open throttle. With the Eisenmann, it would get a 3 for idle, and 6.5-7 wide open throttle... It's just not really loud. The biggest difference is during the rev bands 2k-3.5k rpm. There, the exhaust is noticeably deeper-sounding, without sounding anything like an Mitsubishi Evo, or Sub STI... it's just has a noiceably lower growl that sounds like it's stock... Better yet, the exhaust note given by the eisenmann is what the car should sound straight from the factory -- given that BMW has luxury ideals in mind... I'm not sure if my description fully explains how quiet it is, so here's an example... I was driving around with my buddy in his g35 coupe... when both cars idle, you can barely hear the eisenmann over the g35... during WOT, the g35 exhaust note (whiny but attractive sounding exhaust) overpowers the eisenmann... By no means am i saying the eisenmann isn't noticeable... it is... all throughout the rev bands, the eisenmann purrs -- which sort of brings the car to "life."

As for Butt Dyno:
The performance gains are all in your head. The 5whp or whatever is barely noticeable. I "think" i got some power, but that's probably because it's in my head. Otherwise, the car feels and pulls nearly the same... just my 2 cents. Lastly, if anyone wants to argue that you can feel 5whp blah blah blah, remember, it's JUST a muffler... it's not even a cat-back... If i were to put on the SR pipes, that would probably yield a recognizable butt dyno pull.

Cutting the description short, the exhaust is perfect for those who want a subtle change in their exhaust note. I just want to note that the exhaust pressure is not restricted anywhere... blah blah blah, due to bad install... and the exhaust to midpipe connections have no leaks... As for the next step, in mid summer, i'm going to put on the SR pipes to make the car a bit louder -- the eisenmann is just too subtle of a change... it looks great though!

Lastly, i'm not a fan of extremely loud exhausts. I hate cars that wake or grab my neighbor's attention from the initial starting of the engine, and actually driving away... if it's able to distract my neighbors from their daily activities, the exhaust is too loud for me...

(FINAL NOTE: this impression was based on the fact that all of my windows were up, and it's referring to the cabin noise... only during my comparison to the g35 were the windows down)

OEM Engine Strut Brace:
Install, 5 minutes. Feels maybe slightly more solid around hard corners... yet, that's also probably in your head. it does look beautiful though

I'll be in MachuPichu, Peru venturing 21000ft above sea level hiking the inca trail from May 19th - 27th... so i won't be able to respond...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

sick sig, u're write up is too long tho haha, no offense, just had a long day.

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

lol, just trying to get it all out there. perhaps this helps

Eisenman:
1. slightly (miniscule) sound difference
2. g35 stock sounds louder during idle and wide open throttle
3. difference in sound is most apparent in the low rev bands.
4. hp gains, minimal
5. butt dyno, minimal
6. perfect fit, no leaks

OEM strut brace:
1. 5minute install
2. looks pretty
3. ride difference: minimal
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

good writeup dude, if the eisemann race is not that loud, I'm guessing the sport one is pretty much no different than stock?
      05-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888 View Post
I have SR pipes but with the Remus muffler. I installed them a few months apart. Upon adding the SR pipes, I noticed a power difference (mainly) and only a slight sound difference. The added sound is most notable around 2000 rpm where there's now a nice deep, subtle audible tone at cruise. The only downside is occasionally when you lift off the throttle at low speeds with the windows down, you'll hear a little gurgle as if the car was running a little rich or maybe the computer blipped the throttle. In fairness, the 2008 Audi TT makes this sound stock. YMMV.
wow, i would've thought that the sr pipes would make the car noticeably louder... guess i was wrong!! Thanks for that update... as for the car running rich, that's probably b/c the straight pipes and basically no cats allow the unburnt gas to burn up later down the pipe? that's my idea...

for 800+ dollars for the sr pipes, your input is making me go towards the intake only... i can't expect too much power from a 325i, so i'm just going for the sound... i'm pretty happy now, but i want it to be a little louder...

and i agree completely that the most noticeable difference is in the 2k rev band...

canucklion,
that's my idea... i think the sport is probably just like stock, except it has a slightly deeper note...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
musoo
I F**KIN' Luv Coloring
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 325i

any eisenman race install pictures??

'06 Black Sapphire Metallic E90 / OEM M tech / 50% front & 20% rear tint / Rota Torque 18'x8.5 ET35 18'x9.5 ET30/ H&R Sport Spring / Black Matt Kidney Grill / Blackline Tail Light / Predator ICE Angel Eye / Eisenmann Quads
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157780
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
musoo
I F**KIN' Luv Coloring
Canada
Rep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_-FVBpw1SE

'06 Black Sapphire Metallic E90 / OEM M tech / 50% front & 20% rear tint / Rota Torque 18'x8.5 ET35 18'x9.5 ET30/ H&R Sport Spring / Black Matt Kidney Grill / Blackline Tail Light / Predator ICE Angel Eye / Eisenmann Quads
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
musoo
I F**KIN' Luv Coloring
Canada
Rep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHTgN...eature=related

Appreciate 0