E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Ipod & USB Adapter iDrive- problem?

09-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
335 oClock
MOE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i 6MT

Ipod & USB Adapter iDrive- problem?

My ipod via idrive works fine most of the time, except at times it runs out of batteries and shuts off in the middle of songs, extremely annoying.

Just wondering why its shutting off if the usb adapter is charging it, is the ipod on after I leave the car and lock it?

I figure I would never have to touch the ipod after plugging it in... unless I want to update it or add songs onto it, since it is always charging.

Any information on this?

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
reaper335
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.00]
mine somethings shuts off after a big bump or jolt to the ipod.. i'd have to select the ipod again in the computer. very annoying but doesn't happen too often
      10-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
xillent
Rep
Drives: 2007 Alpine White 328xi

My ipod is staying well charged via the usb, but it will disconnect after about 4 to 7 minutes of playing. Mine has nothing to do with a bump, it just disconnects and selects FM radio. I did a search and found many similar problems, but no answers. Anyone have this problem and get it corrected by dealer or another method? I've tried two BMW cables and two different ipods with the same results. 2007 328 xi with idrive and y cable.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
cole92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: too much

update the ipod and idrive, then try again. Probably software. I run an iphone 4, on my '09 and have zero problems.

Since the other threads didn't give a solid answer, I am merely guessing at this point.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
xillent
Rep
Drives: 2007 Alpine White 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole92 View Post
update the ipod and idrive, then try again. Probably software. I run an iphone 4, on my '09 and have zero problems.

Since the other threads didn't give a solid answer, I am merely guessing at this point.
I appreciate it. I had already tried the updates. I guess the ipod and my crazy side mirror are going to have to be solved by the dealer. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xillent View Post
My ipod is staying well charged via the usb, but it will disconnect after about 4 to 7 minutes of playing. Mine has nothing to do with a bump, it just disconnects and selects FM radio. I did a search and found many similar problems, but no answers. Anyone have this problem and get it corrected by dealer or another method? I've tried two BMW cables and two different ipods with the same results. 2007 328 xi with idrive and y cable.
Late reply but I'm seeing this issue on an iPhone 3GS. What kind of iPod are you using? I believe the issue is that the 6FL interface cannot supply very much charging power and when power drops a little too much it disconnects. I found the problem changed when I put in a dock extender cable. When I did the disconnect problem seemed to go away (need more test time) but I now get a "charging is not supported on this device" message. So I think the dock extended dropped the voltage enough that the system knows it cannot charge and doesn't try.
      12-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

I'm seeing the same issue reported by the OP. Although in my case I don't have charging working yet.

I used to see the iPod connection get dropped by the radio/computer and I would have to re-plug the USB connection. In the process of dropping the connection the radio would revert to showing both USB and Aux in the selections although the iPod was connected to both. Re-plugging the USB connection made the radio recognize the iPod and it would begin working again.

I'm hiding the USB/Aux connection underneath the console as I extend the cabling up to the dash for a powered iPod mount so I have to solve this issue to avoid having to access the connection.

I purchased a new USB/Aux socket (Part number 84109237653) and this seems to solve the problem with respect to having to re-plug to get the radio to recognize the iPod.

BUT, The iPod (iPhone 3GS actually) still stops in the middle of a song or drops completely to FM or AM radio.

My only hope is that solving my charging issue will fix the dropping but based on this thread I'm not too hopeful

2009 328i, Professional Radio without iDrive.