E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ... is this turbo lag ?

10-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

... is this turbo lag ?

Hi guys,

while romping on my car in mexico

(this happened twice so far)

1st gear full throttle (full thrust as expected)
clutch shift to 2nd quickly
2nd gear full throttle (full thrust as expected)
clutch shift to 3rd apparently slowly
3rd gear full throttle it appeared to bog down for a second or two before
the power was built up.

When i first experienced this I thought it was a software bug or a confused component the next time i experienced it I get the feeling that I let off the throttle for 200% more time then i normally do and this is what happens.

am i right ?

thanks

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

try it again with the traction controls all the way off. you might have been shifting hard enough that you would have chirped the tires on a car with no traction control, but instead the TC cuts power. i noticed that sometimes the car will cut power a little bit without the light going on in the dashboard

You pretty much don't get turbo lag in a stock production car. most of the time when people talk about 'turbo lag' it it really that the car is below the 'boost threshold'. 'turbo lag' is when you hit the gas and the turbo takes time to spin up and pressurize the manifold. A great example of this is a modified 2.0L WRX with a huge turbo. hit the gas.. nothing nothing warp speed
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I did have DSC off. I'll try the other next time

thanks for the tip

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
I did have DSC off. I'll try the other next time

thanks for the tip

ppp
DTC mode just turns off the yaw sensors.. it will still brake the wheel/cut power to prevent wheelspin..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
Hoothout
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 328i

Garage List
2008 e92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
DTC mode just turns off the yaw sensors.. it will still brake the wheel/cut power to prevent wheelspin..
ya if you dont know...hold the dtc button down to acquire dsc haha
iDrive,Premium Pkg,Sport Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Black Dakota Leather,GP Thunder 8500k cornering,drl,and foglights, ,Blacked Out Grills,Painted Reflectors,Shadowline Emblems,Hardwired Beltronics V-995, AFE Intake, Muffler Delete, Berger tune
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCman328 View Post
ya if you dont know...hold the dtc button down to acquire dsc haha

No, holding the DTC button down turns off all electronic assistance, neither DTC nor DSC will be active.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #7
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
maybe you switched out of second too fast and was at too low of a RPM for third gear???

I know it's noobie mistake... but I just had to wonder....

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
Hi guys,

while romping on my car in mexico

(this happened twice so far)

1st gear full throttle (full thrust as expected)
clutch shift to 2nd quickly
2nd gear full throttle (full thrust as expected)
clutch shift to 3rd apparently slowly
3rd gear full throttle it appeared to bog down for a second or two before
the power was built up.

When i first experienced this I thought it was a software bug or a confused component the next time i experienced it I get the feeling that I let off the throttle for 200% more time then i normally do and this is what happens.

am i right ?

thanks

ppp

When you shifted from 2nd to 3rd, what was your RPM in 2nd, and what was the RPM after you shifted to 3rd?
Maybe you let the clutch out when the RPM was too high...the clutch slipped, then gripped and caused the feeling of power loss, then build up for power after it gripped and started pulling.
      10-10-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the responses guys most were quite plausible...

The clutch transfer was fine, I know i delayed the switch from gears from 2nd-3rd.

The RPM of 2nd gear was around 6k when i switched to 3rd however the rpms did drop more then normally as compared to 1st to 2nd (my fault). it just didnt seem to recover.

DSC and DTC aside /my mind is fried im married and cant think straight, so cut me some slack

I think Nick is probably correct, if i were to disable all control nannies I believe it will be fine. I tried the similar gear changes with all nannies off and it responded fine . Again this was only one test and additional would be necessary to confirm.

Please note I dont recall ever seeing any flashing traction lights on my dash when i first recorded the concern. *shrug*

Let me put you guys at rest, I've read the stories and know the power of the car, I'm not going to be riding with it off , i dont intend to be another oops rode over a curb, ooops hit a pole, oops oops oops.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #10
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

^do another run and tell us how it goes....generally I haven't reported seeing any lag at all, even though I have a 6AT.

Turbo lag would be something those TT supras running 25+psi get...or if you're running a single turbo pushing upwards of 15-20+ psi...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #11
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp View Post
When you shifted from 2nd to 3rd, what was your RPM in 2nd, and what was the RPM after you shifted to 3rd?
Maybe you let the clutch out when the RPM was too high...the clutch slipped, then gripped and caused the feeling of power loss, then build up for power after it gripped and started pulling.
This seems plausible,
To the OP if you experience the slippage again pull over, get out and see if you can smell anything burnt it might be your clutch.
Appreciate 0